Touch Screen Too Sensitive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

madusmacus

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
zipro;2270198]Yeah, my third one doesn't have it. It's definitely worth a try
I would love to keep trying 1520 till i get a good one but..
I aim way to scared ill end up with a recessed buttons/tinted screen/phantom bing/bad vibrate one etc etc one :?(
This one is perfect apart from about 1 in 100 miss swipes (yesterday when i had it out of the flip case it was about 1 in 200) no idea about the case its just an observation - BUT before extras+info 3.3.3.2 it was alot worse about 1 in 25

I wish Nokia would comment on it but then i would be living in "goo goo gar gar land"

Last edited:

Mark Reed2

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Thats what makes me mad, they keep saying they are looking into it....how long does it take for a big company with lots of clever people working for them, to figure out if its software or hardware.

This was reported to them weeks ago, and yet their crack squad has still to say which it is, if they came clean and said "its software a fix will be with you soon" or "its hardware, you need to return/exchange the phone" I know they dont want to have bad press but forums like this are costing them sales, people see these posts and worry because weeks on and there is still no word off Nokia.

I came from Android for a change, at this rate this will be my 1st and last.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Just wondering, has anyone tried returning one and getting a replacement without this issue? I am contemplating switching mine since Nokia still hasn't acknowledged a software issue.

I'm on number two....same issues. Third one is in the mail. I have a white one coming. Both of my black 1520s had the problem.

Mark Reed2

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Well there are owners from all over the world, some been the AT&T version which differs from the international version, and yet both have the issue, if it is HW then no wonder Nokia dont want to say anything as that will cost them big time.

I mean if this hits the media and it is HW, well then all those other people that have the issue but just either dismiss it or blame themselves for tap (i did to start with) will then be aware of the fault and will return it.

Its heading the way of making videos of this and sending them to tech/phone review sites to try and see if public awareness gets Nokia to start informing us, I mean if its software would it not be in their best interest to say it is and that a fix is coming....that would stop all these threads and angry customers, so the longer it goes on the more I think its hardware.

Brian Richman

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Set the sensitivity to medium, not high and make sure the firmware update released December 19/20th is installed and you reboot after the install.

I agree with "Mark Reed2" and his post. This should have been fixed BEFORE release but it does seem to be getting there......

Mark Reed2

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
The only thing that changed in the last week was extra+info, its now 3.3.3.2 and screen set to normal......still got tap not swipe/tap loads to wake screen 50% of the time.
I have the international version.

madusmacus

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Set the sensitivity to medium, not high and make sure the firmware update released December 19/20th is installed and you reboot after the install.

UK unlocked version here
OS:8.0.10517.150 FW: 1028.3534.1343.0001 - HW: 5.0.0.0

I don't know what firmware update looks like, I am guessing i didn't get one
I just got about 8 applications updated from Microsoft Store (2 days ago)
Including Extras+info 3.3.3.2 (its a bit better now but not good enough)

My 1520 Touch setting options are Normal and High - I set to Normal - I still get 1 in 90 miss swipes
(seems to be going up might try a soft reset)

Maybe UK is missing a firmware update - i keep checking but nothing.

Also "Double Tap to unlock" seems to work Fine
I don't think its supposed to work from a black screen only from a glance screen
So maybe that's a layer of confudilation (my word get your own :?)) hehe

Last edited:

Mark Reed2

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Double tap to wake is from black screen..or glance.
This seemed ok for the first few days but it started to apear and its got worse.
The tap issue was random but its now happening more, I also get times where I touch screen and while finger is on the screen nothing will happen, you can swipe up and down (keeping finger on screen) if I take it off and put back on then its back to normal.
It would seem in many cases that a reset helps for a day or so before the issue starts to come back.

Mark Reed2

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
My details are

UK unlocked 1520

OS version 8.0.10517.150
Firmware 1028.3534.1343.0001
Hardware revision 5.0.0.1
Radio software version 1.0.26028.0001
Chip SOC version 8974

madusmacus

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I think i discovered what is happening...

Whilst playing a game i noticed touching the screen caused a double tap microsecs apart from each other (shown as a turn on an then off of a switch realy fast)

As a developer i would say this could be caught in software
i.e. If two taps detected too near to each other ignore.

Probaly hardware error but i think patchable they need to tell us if they will fix or i have to join the good,bad replacement lottery
nn all

elitejedimaster

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I seem to have stumbled upon this issue as well. I'm on my second phone, and this one seems like its worse than the first one, but maybe its because I'm too busy replicating it. They've both been black, is anybody out there having the problem with only black 1520's or are other colors affected as well?

I can even just stick my finger to the screen and hold still, like I want to move a tile, and sometimes it will open the app, and still keep acting like it's tapping, opening everything that's under my fingertip, without sliding or lifting.

I'm running the new firmware with the newest extras+info, and I even used the Nokia Updater for Retail software to download a pristine firmware (1.5GB!) and reflashed the phone through it. Still came back with the problem.

I'm waiting for my original phone to get back to AT&T so they can send another. If it's color related, I'll gladly switch to a red one.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
It shouldn't be color related as the cases are all made of the same material. I had a couple instances where it registered a swipe as a tap on my Black 1520, around the time I first picked it up on 11/22. Since then I haven't really had any issues.

I do feel bad for those of you who are experiencing the issue though. :(

Mark Reed2

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
problem is its worldwide, in the Nokia support forum a guy from Vietnam has joined in with issue.

So far I have seen owners in Russia/UAE/UK/Asia/USA/Italy/Germany who have the issue, and again there is all those who blame themselves for the tap or trying to live with the issue, this % have not been factored in to the amount of phones affected.

This could be a large % of all of them sold, even the replacement phones in some cases have the issue.

elitejedimaster

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
It shouldn't be color related as the cases are all made of the same material.

Actually, the material type isn't what I'm getting at. It could be related to individual production runs. It makes sense for them to manufacture several of a specific color at once, and if they had a bad run of digitizers, then i wonder if the problem would be more prevalent in a specific color or production run.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Actually, the material type isn't what I'm getting at. It could be related to individual production runs. It makes sense for them to manufacture several of a specific color at once, and if they had a bad run of digitizers, then i wonder if the problem would be more prevalent in a specific color or production run.

I was thinking the exact same thing. That's why I went with a white one this time...gonna be my third 1520. Two black models and now a white one.

USA locked to AT&T

Mark Reed2

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
True but the shell for the AT&T differes a little as do the internals from the internatinal version.

Thing is there are not so many firmwares out there, if it was a software issue then there would be no units that work right, 80-100% would suffer (%out who yet to update in a area) because of this it seems more like a HW issue that went on long enough to affect phones been sent all over the world and 2 different versions of it, thats a load of faulty phones.

I am now going with HW fault, I would say the reply from Nokia will be to return them, or there is a way to do a workaround fix, but that would maybe come as a manual update as a pushed update to fix a % of the phones might affect the ones that were working fine lol

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
True but the shell for the AT&T differes a little as do the internals from the internatinal version.

Thing is there are not so many firmwares out there, if it was a software issue then there would be no units that work right, 80-100% would suffer (%out who yet to update in a area) because of this it seems more like a HW issue that went on long enough to affect phones been sent all over the world and 2 different versions of it, thats a load of faulty phones.

I am now going with HW fault, I would say the reply from Nokia will be to return them, or there is a way to do a workaround fix, but that would maybe come as a manual update as a pushed update to fix a % of the phones might affect the ones that were working fine lol

Not necessarily. When the Lumia 900 first came out there were quite a few devices that had issues, and quite a few that didn't. They issued an update within the first couple weeks and all was well.

For some reason even though the hardware was identical in the units some of them were having issues with the factory firmware and some were not. A firmware update fixed the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)