Technobuffalo unimpressed with the call quality of 1520

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It's not for everyone. Though when reviewing a device like this, you are speaking to the audience that could see themselves using a device this large.

Well then it should have come with an active digitizer & stylus. Look at how many millions of Galaxy Notes Samsung has sold because of that. This design essentially is neutered out of the box.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Well then it should have come with an active digitizer & stylus. Look at how many millions of Galaxy Notes Samsung has sold because of that. This design essentially is neutered out of the box.

I would llike that very much.

I am one of those people that wouldn't mind a large phone, but I was clamoring for a stylus when the rumors of the 1520 started surfacing.

But after seeing it and holding it, the lack of a stylus didn't seem like a big deal. It's just a really really nice handset even without a stylus.

A stylus would make OneNote twice as good though.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I would llike that very much.

I am one of those people that wouldn't mind a large phone, but I was clamoring for a stylus when the rumors of the 1520 started surfacing.

But after seeing it and holding it, the lack of a stylus didn't seem like a big deal. It's just a really really nice handset even without a stylus.

A stylus would make OneNote twice as good though.

My friends own Galaxy Note 2 and they seldom use S-Pen. Only while drawing, S-Pen comes into the picture, otherwise, they consider it useless

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I upgraded from a L900 and I have no problem with the speaker or sound quality of my 1520. I think a stylus is a personal choice. I have no desire to use on with my phone.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I upgraded from a L900 and I have no problem with the speaker or sound quality of my 1520. I think a stylus is a personal choice. I have no desire to use on with my phone.

Its what I've been saying. Its subjective. If there is enough concern about the sound quality, Nokia/Microsoft would issue an software update as they many manufacturers always do when new products are dropped. But by and large, those that carry these unbelievably astounding quality checks on a product they have no intention of owning themselves, have to be taken with a grain of salt. My son owns a 1520 and calls me several times a day. I never had a problem hearing him nor him me.

Phrozty

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
From the article:
Also, you know when you buy the phone you’re buying this massive device… so you can’t act surprised that it’s suddenly too big. When you order a six-inch cheeseburger, you expect to eat it with two hands. The same goes for phablets.

THANK YOU!

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Oh god the titan......I purposely broke mine to get the 920 when it came out lol I had to have a valid "reason" to get the 920 and use my wife's moms upgrade

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I was reading this review of Lumia 1520 in technobuffallow. Overall they have provided good rating 8.5, but is unimpressed with the call quality of Lumia 1520. What is your openion on this

I'm sorry, who? Technobuffallow? Never heard of him.

Don't put too much into this review. The service in his area may not be as good as another area. One review really says nothing about call quality. Wait until you have a good selection of reviews from users from across the country. Then draw your decision.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Im my personal experience, Nokia phone, going back to when I had my first one about 7 years ago, have always been among the best in terms of call quality, despite the fact that judging call quality is very superficial (dependant on network, signal and event time of day) but it seems Nokia puts good quality mics and earpieces in their handsets. This 1520 should in theory be the best they have made. Im not sure if those 4 audio recording mics also aid phone calls ?

Even so, I don't much care for Technobuffalo, nor pretty any other mobile review critics out there. They are biased, unfair and not trustworthy, they either nit-pick or simply ignore things that are obviously wrong with a phone (depending on which manufacture are giving them submission I guess). Mobile tech review with Lisa is the best. She did a review of the 1520 and she rated it really high.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I've actually found Techbuffalo to be one of the better, more fair, sites.

If the call quality and signal strength of the 1520 is anything like the other Lumias it's pretty decent. Much better than HTC. Comparable to Samsung.

But if you compare it to Nokia's feature phones... well, there's a big and noticeable difference. Nokia's feature phones have amazing clarity and signal strength.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Even so, I don't much care for Technobuffalo, nor pretty any other mobile review critics out there. They are biased, unfair and not trustworthy, they either nit-pick or simply ignore things that are obviously wrong with a phone (depending on which manufacture are giving them submission I guess). Mobile tech review with Lisa is the best. She did a review of the 1520 and she rated it really high.

In my experience, I've found this to be completely and utterly inaccurate about technobuffalo. Their reviews are some of the best and most unbiased I've seen on the internet.

Every time whenever they say they like a product, critics come out going "biased! Biased! Herp derp biased!" and they've come out multiple times showing how the main guy in charge uses multiple android devices, the girl, Ashley, uses mainly iPhones, but she use to use androids. In their tour of the office, half use Macs and about half use PC's. They give equal praise and criticism to all OSes.

Also, your opinion of "best" is really strange. Someone's review is only good if they like they device? There are no bad devices? You shouldn't point out flaws to potential buyers? Ok.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I am no expert but what I do have is real world phone use. Now I only wish I could say I know for sure the 1520 has top notch call quality, but I only have a 1020.

Where I live there are many tall apartment buildings ( cell phone signal killers ). Add that a friend of mine from my old job lives a few buildings over and has always used Nokia phones ( his last 2 have been WP/Nokia).

I have to say my Nokia 1020 and my friends 2 phones have no issue with signal loss, clear voice quality inside the apartments. Nokia seems to have found a good match of radio/antenna on the hardware end of things!!! All Nokia's seem to have top quality mic and ear piece to make clear calls with!!!!

I was an avid HTC fan, but since coming to Nokia I can say in truth Nokia's are among the best for call quality !!!!!

My guess would be the 1520 that was in review may be a test model, and I would not expect a demo model to act the same as the model you and I buy.

In case you wondering....... How I rank the phones used in my real world......

#1 Nokia Lumia 1020 ( or add in any Lumia model )
#2 Audiovox SMT 5600 ( HTC Typhoon ), was usless as smartphone, but call quality and signal were awesome.
#3 HTC HD2 ( this should have been HTC's flagship WP8 !!! )
#4 HTC Radar ( only an ok phone, somedays it had echo with full bars and no signal blocks ), had to stand at my patio door to make or take calls.

I think the 1520 will end up showing in the long run to be a great phone!!! Wait till someone reviews it 6 months in !!

luk3ja

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
But the way he commented on Call Quality. Do you guys still feel the same about? I know nokia has the best call quality in the world. So what is your openion with the call quality of 1520, which is supposed to have HD call quality

Your network has to support HD voice otherwise you can't get HD call quality because it requires more data to be sent so the network has to support this option, quite a lot of networks do.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Oh god the titan......I purposely broke mine to get the 920 when it came out lol I had to have a valid "reason" to get the 920 and use my wife's moms upgrade

We sent back 4 of them, and AT&T finally gave us a Titan 2 to shut us up. Boy, that was the worst stinking phone on a mobile device I had ever dealt with. Not just one, but all 4- call quality was just bad.

1520 could be made from a tin can and have a open ended string, and the call quality can't be too much worse.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
We sent back 4 of them, and AT&T finally gave us a Titan 2 to shut us up. Boy, that was the worst stinking phone on a mobile device I had ever dealt with. Not just one, but all 4- call quality was just bad.

1520 could be made from a tin can and have a open ended string, and the call quality can't be too much worse.
my poor Dad still has his Titan......his 1520 arrives next week.

Lumia Jack

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Call quality on both ends sounds good, the only issue is that sometimes it seems like the in-call volume is very low. If I reposition the phone a bit the volume boosts up. I'm not sure if I'm still having trouble adjusting to the new size of the phone and I'm just holding the phone off center to my ear, or if the noise cancellation feature is touchy with where you hold it.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I read this comparision between Lumia 1520 and Note 3, where Lumia 1520 has outclassed Note 3 in every department except the weight and lack of AMOLED.

I know this is a call quality thread but I don't see why people think amoled is always better than 1520. I'm fairly certain the 1520 has a better screen than the Note 3.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site

I've had mine for exactly 2 years and while AT&T never issued a single update, I've been mostly happy with it, even with call quality issues. If the other end has a decent phone, it seems to be ok. But if they're hearing challenged, or using something less optimal (like a cheap wired hands free earpiece) then there can be issues....

Lumia Jack

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I know this is a call quality thread but I don't see why people think amoled is always better than 1520. I'm fairly certain the 1520 has a better screen than the Note 3.

Yes it's off topic, but I'll weigh-in quickly as well. I don't like AMOLED screens, they are too punchy (saturated) and unrealistic with their color reproduction and they also suffer from premature blue pixel burn-in that is completely irreversible. I much rather have a high end LCD like in our 1520s which don't suffer from burn in effects. I was actually glad that both my previous phone the Lumia 920 and this 1520 did not come with AMOLED screens.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa