Technobuffalo unimpressed with the call quality of 1520

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Im my personal experience, Nokia phone, going back to when I had my first one about 7 years ago, have always been among the best in terms of call quality, despite the fact that judging call quality is very superficial (dependant on network, signal and event time of day) but it seems Nokia puts good quality mics and earpieces in their handsets. This 1520 should in theory be the best they have made. Im not sure if those 4 audio recording mics also aid phone calls ?

On the Titan it was a multitude of problems.

1. Noise canceling algorithms not optimized and actually contributed to the issues by "canceling" what was actually your voice
  2. Large metal back acted as a mic itself, which confused the noise canceling algorithms (partly due to picking up your voice on the cover, which was picked up by the noise canceling mic, which caused it to filter out your voice, leading to echoes and other muffled speech issues)
  3. Some folks had debris in the mic ports
  4. Signal issues (death grip) also affected quality

Again not to beat a dead horse, but I did a LOT of reading and posting about this years ago so I'm pretty gun shy. HTC did release firmware updates on the international variant but AT&T never passed a single one to their branded handset.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Call quality on both ends sounds good, the only issue is that sometimes it seems like the in-call volume is very low. If I reposition the phone a bit the volume boosts up. I'm not sure if I'm still having trouble adjusting to the new size of the phone and I'm just holding the phone off center to my ear, or if the noise cancellation feature is touchy with where you hold it.

I bet it's mainly an ear positioning problem. It's not like the old days where the ear piece/speaker area was large.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
On the Titan it was a multitude of problems.

1. Noise canceling algorithms not optimized and actually contributed to the issues by "canceling" what was actually your voice
  2. Large metal back acted as a mic itself, which confused the noise canceling algorithms (partly due to picking up your voice on the cover, which was picked up by the noise canceling mic, which caused it to filter out your voice, leading to echoes and other muffled speech issues)
  3. Some folks had debris in the mic ports
  4. Signal issues (death grip) also affected quality

Again not to beat a dead horse, but I did a LOT of reading and posting about this years ago so I'm pretty gun shy. HTC did release firmware updates on the international variant but AT&T never passed a single one to their branded handset.

at&t sucks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077