15% recharge/hour? Really?

superlawyer15

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
thanks for apologizing, its hard to come across mature internet forum users
I wish you the best in fixing your problem

as a side note, I looked at the battery logs for the two other 1520s in my household and both appear very similar to mine
I would just exchange the one you have

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

as a side note, I looked at the battery logs for the two other 1520s in my household and both appear very similar to mine

sorry go take this off topic slightly, but what app are you using to test your battery rate?

Last edited:

superlawyer15

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I cant check the exact rate
only what I can infer from the graph

the name of the app is simply "battery"

if you type that in the search field in the store, it is the second app

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, I'll look into an exchange. Forgive me if I wait until after Black Friday, though.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

rakesh1995

Banned
May 26, 2013
Visit site
My Lumia 520 charger at 60% per hour. As 1520 has about 2.5 time more BIGGER batter its Expected to Charger SLOWER. That why there is WIRELESS CHARGING. This phone should run more even With low % of batter as it has more juice.
Also note 3 batter is smaller so its expected to works better. By the way you mesurment were made by an app not by your self. Try a bit more testing with other battery app and come back

Sent from my Awesome Lumia 520 using Tapatalk

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
My Lumia 520 charger at 60% per hour. As 1520 has about 2.5 time more BIGGER batter its Expected to Charger SLOWER. That why there is WIRELESS CHARGING. This phone should run more even With low % of batter as it has more juice.
Also note 3 batter is smaller so its expected to works better. By the way you mesurment were made by an app not by your self. Try a bit more testing with other battery app and come back

Sent from my Awesome Lumia 520 using Tapatalk
...let's recount the facts, shall we?

The stock charger is 1500 mA(/h, of course.)
The battery is 3400 mAh.

Let's bring math into this. 3400/1500 = ~2.21 h.
From this, we can infer that the phone charges roughly 40%/h on standby.

The problem is that the phone takes more than six hours to charge.
You read that right. Six. Now, there are two possibilities:
1. Nokia disabled quick charging (I call BS on this, why'd they include a 1.5A charger in the first place?)
2. The unit is defective (more likely.)

And so the OP's query starts.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
My 1520 charges slowly also. I assumed it was because of the larger battery and I'm also in the habit of charging my phones over night every night. Thank you for bringing this up, I'll pay more attention to it now.

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, guys. It's nice to know that it's not just me. I hope it's not a defect.

Some additional info after some further testing today:

1. Charged it to 100% overnight.
  2. Ran it down to 74% using Youtube video.
  3. Rebooted the phone.
  4. Plugged it into the OEM charger
  5. "Battery" app reported a recharge rate of 10%/hr.
  6. Left the phone on the charger for exactly 30 minutes. When I checked it, it had charged to 93%.

That's almost 20% in 30 minutes or 40%/hr. Still not a fast charge, by any means, but much quicker than it was originally charging. It's possible that fast charge is disabled and that my phone simply didn't like my 2 amp charger.

My next test will be to run it down to 75% and then plug it into ANOTHER 2 amp charger that I have. I just want to be sure that it's at least charging at standard rate. I can live without fast charge, though it's disappointing that they would disable it.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Do you enjoy being proven wrong?
Way more than your claimed 15% recharge per hour ...Like I said, something is wrong with your phone

View attachment 50880

Battery meters are mostly BS I can and have loaded 4 at a time and other than the percentage remaining, but discharge and time left for full charge or rate per hour? -they were all different up to 35% different. I agree 15% per hour is slow but was it being charged while be connected to his pc or what ?

Last edited:

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I would run it down more than that
the phone charges at a faster rate up until 80% and then at a slower rate after that

Yeah, I know, but it's hard to drain the battery on this thing and I wanted to test. It charged at roughly 20%/30 minutes today with the other 2 amp charger I tested from 80-100%. It must not have liked the other one. I can live with that. At least my phone isn't defective. I was NOT looking forward to setting it all up again.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Okay, I just did some testing with my battery app (Insider), and well, it's inherently flawed.

My phone - a 620 - charges from 0 to full in ~70 minutes. That's ~83%/h.

...Insider apparently thinks my phone charges at 40%/h...

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Dang, there is a lot of math in this thread.... my brain hurts.....

I do appreciate this thread, though. Often, when problems are found out by early adopters, that brings quick fixes from the manufacturer. We know Nokia has been good about support. If a slow charging battery issue is in a large % of the 1520s, then maybe they can fix it before it causes really bad press.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Okay, I just did some testing with my battery app (Insider), and well, it's inherently flawed.

My phone - a 620 - charges from 0 to full in ~70 minutes. That's ~83%/h.

...Insider apparently thinks my phone charges at 40%/h...

Battery meter apps are a joke. Drawing numbers out of a hat is more accurate.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, guys. It's nice to know that it's not just me. I hope it's not a defect.

Some additional info after some further testing today:

1. Charged it to 100% overnight.
  2. Ran it down to 74% using Youtube video.
  3. Rebooted the phone.
  4. Plugged it into the OEM charger
  5. "Battery" app reported a recharge rate of 10%/hr.
  6. Left the phone on the charger for exactly 30 minutes. When I checked it, it had charged to 93%.

That's almost 20% in 30 minutes or 40%/hr. Still not a fast charge, by any means, but much quicker than it was originally charging. It's possible that fast charge is disabled and that my phone simply didn't like my 2 amp charger.

My next test will be to run it down to 75% and then plug it into ANOTHER 2 amp charger that I have. I just want to be sure that it's at least charging at standard rate. I can live without fast charge, though it's disappointing that they would disable it.

I don't trust 3rd party chargers to perform properly in most cases.

That's why I test with the charger that is provided with the phone and make my conclusions based off of that. If it performs with the OEM equipment properly and not with other equipment, then I just avoid the other equipment.

Also you won't charge the phone faster than the 1.5A since the charger won't push extra juice to the battery since they are designed to limit the maximum to avoid issues with heat, fire, explosions, etc.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Battery meter apps are a joke. Drawing numbers out of a hat is more accurate.
If it's designed properly it's not a joke. It should poll the OS to determine the current level and then draw a graph based upon that information with usage.

For charging as long as they've implemented the math properly it will give you real-time stats on how long it took you to go from x% to y%.

Now they may not be accurate for drain statistics and predictive math for time remaining...but that's beside the point for what is being done in this thread.

superlawyer15

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I agree ..the only thing that is subject to being wrong is the estimated time remaining
This could be because of the algorithm employed ..or because of varying changes in usage

However, simple reporting as to current charge or time taken to charge is almost always going to be accurate
Assuming the app was coded by a competent developer

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss