12-04-2013 12:20 AM
61 123
tools
    My Lumia 520 charger at 60% per hour. As 1520 has about 2.5 time more BIGGER batter its Expected to Charger SLOWER. That why there is WIRELESS CHARGING. This phone should run more even With low % of batter as it has more juice.
    Also note 3 batter is smaller so its expected to works better. By the way you mesurment were made by an app not by your self. Try a bit more testing with other battery app and come back

Sent from my Awesome Lumia 520 using Tapatalk
    ...let's recount the facts, shall we?

The stock charger is 1500 mA(/h, of course.)
    The battery is 3400 mAh.

Let's bring math into this. 3400/1500 = ~2.21 h.
    From this, we can infer that the phone charges roughly 40%/h on standby.

The problem is that the phone takes more than six hours to charge.
    You read that right. Six. Now, there are two possibilities:
    1. Nokia disabled quick charging (I call BS on this, why'd they include a 1.5A charger in the first place?)
    2. The unit is defective (more likely.)

And so the OP's query starts.
    snowmutt, gravage and xandros9 like this.
    11-29-2013 07:28 AM
    I just email nokia support this issue lets see

11-29-2013 09:53 AM
    My 1520 charges slowly also. I assumed it was because of the larger battery and I'm also in the habit of charging my phones over night every night. Thank you for bringing this up, I'll pay more attention to it now.
    gravage likes this.
    11-29-2013 09:56 AM
    Thanks, guys. It's nice to know that it's not just me. I hope it's not a defect.

Some additional info after some further testing today:

1. Charged it to 100% overnight.
    2. Ran it down to 74% using Youtube video.
    3. Rebooted the phone.
    4. Plugged it into the OEM charger
    5. "Battery" app reported a recharge rate of 10%/hr.
    6. Left the phone on the charger for exactly 30 minutes. When I checked it, it had charged to 93%.

That's almost 20% in 30 minutes or 40%/hr. Still not a fast charge, by any means, but much quicker than it was originally charging. It's possible that fast charge is disabled and that my phone simply didn't like my 2 amp charger.

My next test will be to run it down to 75% and then plug it into ANOTHER 2 amp charger that I have. I just want to be sure that it's at least charging at standard rate. I can live without fast charge, though it's disappointing that they would disable it.
    11-29-2013 10:19 AM
    I would run it down more than that
    the phone charges at a faster rate up until 80% and then at a slower rate after that
    11-29-2013 10:33 AM
    Do you enjoy being proven wrong?
    Way more than your claimed 15% recharge per hour ...Like I said, something is wrong with your phone

Attachment 50880
    Battery meters are mostly BS I can and have loaded 4 at a time and other than the percentage remaining, but discharge and time left for full charge or rate per hour? -they were all different up to 35% different. I agree 15% per hour is slow but was it being charged while be connected to his pc or what ?
    Last edited by PB_H; 11-29-2013 at 04:59 PM.
    WanderingTraveler likes this.
    11-29-2013 03:29 PM
    I would run it down more than that
    the phone charges at a faster rate up until 80% and then at a slower rate after that
    Yeah, I know, but it's hard to drain the battery on this thing and I wanted to test. It charged at roughly 20%/30 minutes today with the other 2 amp charger I tested from 80-100%. It must not have liked the other one. I can live with that. At least my phone isn't defective. I was NOT looking forward to setting it all up again.
    11-29-2013 04:52 PM
    Okay, I just did some testing with my battery app (Insider), and well, it's inherently flawed.

My phone - a 620 - charges from 0 to full in ~70 minutes. That's ~83%/h.

...Insider apparently thinks my phone charges at 40%/h...
    11-29-2013 05:26 PM
    Dang, there is a lot of math in this thread.... my brain hurts.....

I do appreciate this thread, though. Often, when problems are found out by early adopters, that brings quick fixes from the manufacturer. We know Nokia has been good about support. If a slow charging battery issue is in a large % of the 1520s, then maybe they can fix it before it causes really bad press.
    WanderingTraveler and Old_Cus like this.
    11-29-2013 06:06 PM
    Okay, I just did some testing with my battery app (Insider), and well, it's inherently flawed.

My phone - a 620 - charges from 0 to full in ~70 minutes. That's ~83%/h.

...Insider apparently thinks my phone charges at 40%/h...
    Battery meter apps are a joke. Drawing numbers out of a hat is more accurate.
    11-29-2013 08:00 PM
    Thanks, guys. It's nice to know that it's not just me. I hope it's not a defect.

Some additional info after some further testing today:

1. Charged it to 100% overnight.
    2. Ran it down to 74% using Youtube video.
    3. Rebooted the phone.
    4. Plugged it into the OEM charger
    5. "Battery" app reported a recharge rate of 10%/hr.
    6. Left the phone on the charger for exactly 30 minutes. When I checked it, it had charged to 93%.

That's almost 20% in 30 minutes or 40%/hr. Still not a fast charge, by any means, but much quicker than it was originally charging. It's possible that fast charge is disabled and that my phone simply didn't like my 2 amp charger.

My next test will be to run it down to 75% and then plug it into ANOTHER 2 amp charger that I have. I just want to be sure that it's at least charging at standard rate. I can live without fast charge, though it's disappointing that they would disable it.
    I don't trust 3rd party chargers to perform properly in most cases.

That's why I test with the charger that is provided with the phone and make my conclusions based off of that. If it performs with the OEM equipment properly and not with other equipment, then I just avoid the other equipment.

Also you won't charge the phone faster than the 1.5A since the charger won't push extra juice to the battery since they are designed to limit the maximum to avoid issues with heat, fire, explosions, etc.
    11-29-2013 10:21 PM
    Battery meter apps are a joke. Drawing numbers out of a hat is more accurate.
    If it's designed properly it's not a joke. It should poll the OS to determine the current level and then draw a graph based upon that information with usage.

For charging as long as they've implemented the math properly it will give you real-time stats on how long it took you to go from x% to y%.

Now they may not be accurate for drain statistics and predictive math for time remaining...but that's beside the point for what is being done in this thread.
    11-29-2013 10:23 PM
    I agree ..the only thing that is subject to being wrong is the estimated time remaining
    This could be because of the algorithm employed ..or because of varying changes in usage

However, simple reporting as to current charge or time taken to charge is almost always going to be accurate
    Assuming the app was coded by a competent developer
    11-29-2013 10:56 PM
    Looks like a defective unit, get an exchange.
    11-30-2013 02:03 AM
    Are you using the stock charger and cable? Don't use trashy cables off eBay.
    11-30-2013 05:19 AM
    Though i don't have a 1520 but i will buy it one day if it come to India. I hope if this issue doesn't happen to me

11-30-2013 06:06 AM
    I'm only getting between 10% & 11% per hour recharge rate on my 1520 with the supplied Nokia 1.5A charger. The other thing I've noticed, compared to my 920, is that when using Internet Sharing with my 1520 plugged in and charging, again with the supplied Nokia charger, that it drains faster that it charges. On the 920 it would charge even while using Internet Sharing. I'm going to run it all the way down today and then let it charge all the way back up. I know, from past experience, that sometimes it takes a few cycles of discharging and charging before getting the best battery life and recharge speed.
    11-30-2013 06:07 AM
    I'm only getting between 10% & 11% per hour recharge rate on my 1520 with the supplied Nokia 1.5A charger. The other thing I've noticed, compared to my 920, is that when using Internet Sharing with my 1520 plugged in and charging, again with the supplied Nokia charger, that it drains faster that it charges. On the 920 it would charge even while using Internet Sharing. I'm going to run it all the way down today and then let it charge all the way back up. I know, from past experience, that sometimes it takes a few cycles of discharging and charging before getting the best battery life and recharge speed.
    Wow, that's some BS that I put up with back in my Touch Pro days. I thought we were well beyond that. Hopefully it's a matter of time before it begins charging faster, or something.
    11-30-2013 07:26 AM
    The Battery app says my 1520 recharges at about 20%/hour with the included Nokia USB wall charger. I'm seeing a higher charge rate (about 30%/hour) in real life, though, when I let it charge overnight.
    11-30-2013 08:56 AM
    Using the supplied charger I was getting over 40% per hour according to my "Insider" app when plugged into a wall socket. I didn't keep track how much above a 40% per hour charge rate it eventually got to but in under 2 hours I went from ~22% to a full battery. It does charge ridiculously slow off a normal USB port though, when compared to a wall socket.
    11-30-2013 09:15 AM
    I am using zapi batter it say my Lumia 520 charges at 40% per hour. But MY BATTER WENT from 10% to 100% in one hour.

Totalt bakwas calculation. As a engineering students i can guess that batter recharging is not constant. When batter is low it recharges slower and as it goes higer it recharges faster. It simple chemical(law of mass action???)

Just. Like at bigining blowing a ballon is hard. But it becomes easier as it inflates.

11-30-2013 10:01 AM
    I am using zapi batter it say my Lumia 520 charges at 40% per hour. But MY BATTER WENT from 10% to 100% in one hour.

Totalt bakwas calculation. As a engineering students i can guess that batter recharging is not constant. When batter is low it recharges slower and as it goes higer it recharges faster. It simple chemical(law of mass action???)

Just. Like at bigining blowing a ballon is hard. But it becomes easier as it inflates.

Actually the opposite is generally true. Usually the battery charges faster from a low powered state and slows down as it approaches 100% to help prevent overcharging.
    11-30-2013 02:59 PM
    Actually the opposite is generally true. Usually the battery charges faster from a low powered state and slows down as it approaches 100% to help prevent overcharging.

i have seen just the opposite to happen @ always.
    Li batter have capacitor to prevent over charge

11-30-2013 08:10 PM
    i have seen just the opposite to happen @ always.
    Li batter have capacitor to prevent over charge

Then you are seeing something that is the exact opposite of reality. LiPo batteries typically utilize rapid charging for the first 50-80% when rapid charge tech is in use. Then they charge the remaining bit at a slower rate to prevent overcharging or overheating the cells in the battery.

Talk to any engineer and they'll tell you that in the cases of quick charge kits that any proper unit will charge fast initially and then slow down the charge over time. The really smart units can ramp up and down based on what they detect in terms of temperature and individual cell wear. This is usually referred to as pulse charging.

Not that it really applies here since I don't think Nokia has that tech built in on these devices.
    11-30-2013 10:07 PM
    Then you are seeing something that is the exact opposite of reality. LiPo batteries typically utilize rapid charging for the first 50-80% when rapid charge tech is in use. Then they charge the remaining bit at a slower rate to prevent overcharging or overheating the cells in the battery.

Talk to any engineer and they'll tell you that in the cases of quick charge kits that any proper unit will charge fast initially and then slow down the charge over time. The really smart units can ramp up and down based on what they detect in terms of temperature and individual cell wear. This is usually referred to as pulse charging.

Not that it really applies here since I don't think Nokia has that tech built in on these devices.

will ask a engineer for sure.

12-01-2013 02:37 AM
61 123