12-02-2013 01:49 PM
57 123
tools
    My apologies.
    snowmutt likes this.
    11-29-2013 07:30 PM
    I was worried about its size before buying it. I also thought many times at the store if I wanted a phone that big before doing the purchase. I sat there for like 30 minutes just wondering. I then decided to give it a shot and guess what?...

I LOVE IT.

I got used to the size real fast. Love the screen. I agree it should have been 32gb but oh well, I can live with it. Now when I use my nexus 5 it looks just way too small.
    snowmutt and Old_Cus like this.
    11-29-2013 07:59 PM
    I also am frustrated with the problem where an app opens sometimes when I am using my finger to scroll down the screen. Happens quite a bit and of course as others have mentioned the volume and power buttons are hard to get to.
    Go to settings > touch, then change sensitivity to normal, all Lumia's have this problem until you change it to normal setting instead of high

The apps launching due to the screen not registering swipes sounds troublesome, has Nokia acknowledged this? My Dad gets his 1520 next week.....i feel bad for him because he has grown to hate his HTC Titan for its little bugs HTC never fixed.

I hope Nokia fixes this in a timely fashion as they usually do.
    There is no issue, the touch sensitivity is set to high by default which is a mode designed for use with gloves on. Simply go to settings > touch, the change the sensitivity to normal then the problem will disappear, this is the same for all WP8 Lumia's
    Last edited by Dave Blake; 11-29-2013 at 09:07 PM.
    11-29-2013 08:44 PM
    2% failure rate too much for 6 sigma. I read somewhere 3.4ppm. It is 0.0034%. Normally bad production line cause in process failure rate 1~2%.
    That is somewhat correct. That actually defaults out to 4.5 Sigma, but they do a 1.5 point shift to account for variations in process.
    11-29-2013 10:14 PM
    1520 might become Nokia's "new Coke"
    11-29-2013 10:21 PM
    Doubtful. Plus the situations aren't even comparable to start with.
    11-29-2013 10:25 PM
    Meaning.... they never should have changed the formula?

Could you explain your analogy? Even if I disagree, this has the potential to be amusing........
    11-29-2013 10:56 PM
    The only issue I'm having with the size is that I hit the power button by accident every time I pick it up. I'm sure I'll adjust in time, but I wish they had moved the volume Rocker to the left spine.

It also feels a tad sharp in my hand. I would have preferred broader sides, but a case can help with that.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
    11-29-2013 11:11 PM
    Nokia’s new budget Windows Phone Nokia Lumia 525 unveiled. This one has double the performance speed than the earlier budget Lumia Smartphones like Nokia Lumia 520, Nokia Lumia 620 and Nokia Lumia 625.
    Well alrighty then....
    11-30-2013 08:51 AM
    For those having an issue with the size of the 1520 do you find it difficult to carry on your person or difficult to use in general?
    Just to carry on your person. Its a little top heavy as you are tying on it with both hands but you get use to it. I am still using it trying to get used to carrying it. I have a case coming in the mail today for it and will continue to give it a shot. Of course I would like more apps to be in landscape mode but maybe that will come in time.
    11-30-2013 10:12 AM
    Nokia’s new budget Windows Phone Nokia Lumia 525 unveiled. This one has double the performance speed than the earlier budget Lumia Smartphones like Nokia Lumia 520, Nokia Lumia 620 and Nokia Lumia 625.
    First off, thank you Captain Advertisement for that. Secondly, the only difference between the 520 and 525 is ram size.
    ypi likes this.
    11-30-2013 10:28 AM
    I am not frustrated with myself at all. I never owned a phone that large so I thought I would give it a try. You must be so perfect that you knew it would be just the device for you.
    You know you could go to any number of cell phone stores and handle a Galaxy Note 3 BEFORE ordering the Lumia 1520. I think a lot of us want a big phone and we are just tired of people popping up months after the size of the phone was leaked and wailing... the phone is big! Yes you knew this months ago and you could have checked out the Galaxy Note but you didn't. I guess what we are saying is it is your prerogative not to research and plan but do we really need to read a thread about it? What's next people getting the Lumia 1520 and going OMG this doesn't have the latest iOS!
    11-30-2013 11:51 AM
    You know you could go to any number of cell phone stores and handle a Galaxy Note 3 BEFORE ordering the Lumia 1520. I think a lot of us want a big phone and we are just tired of people popping up months after the size of the phone was leaked and wailing... the phone is big! Yes you knew this months ago and you could have checked out the Galaxy Note but you didn't. I guess what we are saying is it is your prerogative not to research and plan but do we really need to read a thread about it? What's next people getting the Lumia 1520 and going OMG this doesn't have the latest iOS!
    ....and I so do not understand YOU not understanding.

People can research, go to the mobile store, and play with it tethered to a display all they want, but READING about and PLAYING with a device like this is just not the same as UTILIZING and LIVING with it.

Those of "you" who want big phones have zip, zero, nada to worry about. Large devices are the rage, and you can't have a Hero device unless it is 5.0" or bigger these days. They are not endagered species in the mobile market. Heck, the Moto X got slamed for "only" being 4.7".

I am lost as to why you are offended this 6" behemoth may end up being to much for some people when they get it home and live with it for a while. While I try not to use this line too much: Why are commenting on this thread if the thread offends you?

Just start a thread bragging on the L1520. Trust me, we will flock to compliment you for doing it.

And by the way.... when did they take iOS off this monster??? Now I don't want it....
    11-30-2013 05:51 PM
    I think what Citizen X was trying to say is that it's pretty obvious from the start if a 6" phone is going to work for you or not. It's not something that requires a lot of time to figure out.

It either feels comfortable or it doesn't. I usually go in and play with the display models for quite some time before making a decision. I may even pop back in a store 3-4 times just to work with the phone and see how it feels before I make a decision.

It's also a case where I also agree that I don't actually see the point to this thread. I'm not saying that you shouldn't post...but also I just don't see the point of it other than to state that you didn't like the size.

I would say also being snarky with others probably isn't going to garner you a lot of friends on here. There's a time and place for snark...this isn't one of them.
    snowmutt and husslord like this.
    11-30-2013 06:38 PM
    I am returning my 1520 tomorrow. The main reason is because AT&T's service is terrible where I live (Golden, Colorado). I have been with Verizon for several years and have never had call dropping/quality issues. In the week I've been testing the 1520 with a Go Phone account (no contract) I have been wholly disappointed with AT&T service. More "call failed" issues in the past week than I have had with Verizon in 2 years. Commuting the signal variations fading in and out where awful. I then starting asking several co-workers who are on AT&T what they thought of their service and all said the same thing - "it sucks". I am going to wait until the new Nokia Lumia 929 is released for Verizon. I think the smaller size/screen will suit me better in the long run.
    11-30-2013 08:02 PM
    Yeah there are definitely some places where one carrier is going to be better than another due to signal coverage. While AT&T has excellent coverage in most places for me I do get signal issues when I visit my parents.

I can still make and receive calls without issue usually, but the data connection out that far leaves something to be desired. Where they live is almost a cell dead spot. It's just bad with nearly any provider.
    11-30-2013 10:29 PM
    Why are commenting on this thread if the thread offends you?
    How else am I to register my displeasure with the people that post threads with sensational headlines like "Looks like I will return the 1520." I am very interested in purchasing this phone and I have been looking out for any negative threads so I can spot potential problems before I purchase the phone. It's just very irksome to click on a thread looking for insightful information and only discovering a bizarre complaint that the phone is exactly as advertised.

And as far as your comments regarding big phones being all the rage I have read multiple reviews of this device by reviewers that have downgraded their rating of the phone for... wait for it... being six inches! WTF? I mean why would you review a car and then deduct points because it's not a bus?

I don't expect everyone to want a six inch phone. In a way I was a little surprised by the phablet being the hero device. The Samsung Note pretty much created the phablet genre and it was widely panned at launch but it got a pretty big cult following. Having said that though it's sales numbers were no where near as robust as its smaller hero device siblings. So I understand wanting to have devices in the smartphone, phablet, and tablet space but I really thought they would have come out with a 4.7 inch quadcore, HD, SD enabled hero device as well, maybe something with a 1020 type camera.

The Samsung Galaxy Note is big. Very big. It measures almost 150mm tall and 83mm wide, so it does feel awkward to hold single-handedly. It also looks strikingly odd when held up to your ear on a phone call. If, like us, you have average sized hands then you're more than likely going to find the Galaxy Note too big to use as your primary smartphone.
    Samsung Galaxy Note Android phone Review - Brand Centre - Samsung - Good Gear Guide by PC World Australia
    11-30-2013 11:19 PM
    Guys, whoever is unsatisfied with their devices, please send em over to me. I will gladly take em off your hands. All donations are greatly appreciated :)
    Muessig and snowmutt like this.
    12-01-2013 02:33 AM
    And there's me receiving an email saying no white stock until the 18th of December, while you have used it, found it you didn't really like the size, used a different phone and then gone back to it again.

Life just isn't fair sometimes.
    12-01-2013 02:46 AM
    I'm loving my 1520. Sorry to hear you are not, but at least you will be staying with the Lumia family.
    12-01-2013 09:17 AM
    Really sorry I started the thread. Some very strong minded people on here. It was my decision to get the 1520 and try it for a few days after playing with it in the store. I dont think anyone knows if they want carry a phone until they have tried it. But it was my decision and my right to do so. For me the phone is just too big to carry. For others it is fine. I expressed an opinion about the size for me which is also my right to do so.
    Flavio76 likes this.
    12-01-2013 11:31 AM
    I expressed an opinion about the size for me which is also my right to do so.
    Here in America that's usually the defense of someone who has done something indefensible.

Gun rights advocates across the country plan to openly carry firearms at Starbucks coffee shops on Friday in appreciation of the company's policy that allows gun owners to do so in states that it is legal.

Some gun owners in Connecticut said Thursday they plan on open carrying their firearms at a Newtown store on Friday.

On the Facebook group, "Starbucks appreciation day," the event's organizers say, "Starbucks is allowing us to lawfully carry firearms in their store. Recently, they have been the target of unjust attacks from certain groups that do not support our right to bear arms. We will thank starbucks (sic) for standing up for our right to bear arms by going there on Friday...

"We ask that if you choose to carry a firearm during this event that you follow all local, state, and national laws; and if you choose not to carry that you wear pro-gun rights apparel," according to the page.

The page bears a recreation of the Starbucks logo showing the mermaid holding two guns and bearing the slogan "I love guns & coffee."
    Gun advocates praise Starbucks for open carry policy with appreciation day, including in Newtown

You do have a right to an opinion but in the future try and consider if whatever is going on with you is really a reportable event and if so try and find a different way of expressing it other than a sensational title like "Looks like I will return the 1520 ."
    12-01-2013 12:27 PM
    The size is polarizing. I am on the fence to buy one. Its beautiful but a tad too big for a phone. Unless your Andre the Giant.
    12-01-2013 03:26 PM
    I have average sized hands and use it just fine. My fiance has fairly small hands (about half the size of mine) and can also use the phone fine.

No being a giant required :P
    12-01-2013 04:29 PM
    I thought to return my red Lumia 1520 also, but when I went back to my Lumia 1020 or iPhone 5S, I missed the beautiful Lumia 1520 screen. I decided to keep it.
    12-01-2013 04:38 PM
57 123