Looks like I will return the 1520

Status
Not open for further replies.

redbluff

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I would be frustrated with myself as well. Purchasing a device, expecting it to do things without researching it; not being familiar with the size, weight, features. Yes, I'd be frustrated with myself as well.

I am not frustrated with myself at all. I never owned a phone that large so I thought I would give it a try. You must be so perfect that you knew it would be just the device for you.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry it's not working for you. There does seem to be an issue with apps opening when swiping the screen. I've experienced it a few times but it hadn't been a problem for me yet. I upgraded from a lumia 900 and I'm using my 1520 as my daily driver. No problems with it fitting in my pickets and the only adjustment I had to make is the phone is too big to sit in my cup holder in my car.

I too was thinking that maybe I would try to use my phone as a small tablet instead of buying one but yesterday I went and bought a surface RT.

This phone isn't for everyone. Sounds like you gave it a shot and it didn't work for you. Good luck with your next phone.

I find it reassuring you have this bad boy, Old_Cus... We agreed on the Samsung Focus S and both enjoyed it when it first came out, then I followed your lead on the L900 when you bragged about how much more you liked Nokia and have enjoyed it every day I have owned it. Now I get to ride your coatails again if I get the 1520. Let us know your pros/cons.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I would be frustrated with myself as well. Purchasing a device, expecting it to do things without researching it; not being familiar with the size, weight, features. Yes, I'd be frustrated with myself as well.

No flame wars here. What is wrong with dipping your toe in a pool to check the temp, even if you read somewhere the water was supposed to be chilly? I am in the same position as a ton of AT&T WP users- I love everything about the 1520 EXCEPT the size. I have read, researched, and asked all kinds of questions. I am leaning to trying it out for a few days, and then returning it if I do not think it is comfortable enough to live with as a daily driver. I think bruce1099 did a very common thing- tried it out. No big deal (pun, of course, fully intended).

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
For those having an issue with the size of the 1520 do you find it difficult to carry on your person or difficult to use in general?

omaropa

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I was worried about its size before buying it. I also thought many times at the store if I wanted a phone that big before doing the purchase. I sat there for like 30 minutes just wondering. I then decided to give it a shot and guess what?...

I LOVE IT.

I got used to the size real fast. Love the screen. I agree it should have been 32gb but oh well, I can live with it. Now when I use my nexus 5 it looks just way too small.

luk3ja

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I also am frustrated with the problem where an app opens sometimes when I am using my finger to scroll down the screen. Happens quite a bit and of course as others have mentioned the volume and power buttons are hard to get to.

Go to settings > touch, then change sensitivity to normal, all Lumia's have this problem until you change it to normal setting instead of high

The apps launching due to the screen not registering swipes sounds troublesome, has Nokia acknowledged this? My Dad gets his 1520 next week.....i feel bad for him because he has grown to hate his HTC Titan for its little bugs HTC never fixed.

I hope Nokia fixes this in a timely fashion as they usually do.

There is no issue, the touch sensitivity is set to high by default which is a mode designed for use with gloves on. Simply go to settings > touch, the change the sensitivity to normal then the problem will disappear, this is the same for all WP8 Lumia's

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
2% failure rate too much for 6 sigma. I read somewhere 3.4ppm. It is 0.0034%. Normally bad production line cause in process failure rate 1~2%.

That is somewhat correct. That actually defaults out to 4.5 Sigma, but they do a 1.5 point shift to account for variations in process.

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
The only issue I'm having with the size is that I hit the power button by accident every time I pick it up. I'm sure I'll adjust in time, but I wish they had moved the volume Rocker to the left spine.

It also feels a tad sharp in my hand. I would have preferred broader sides, but a case can help with that.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

bruce1099

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
For those having an issue with the size of the 1520 do you find it difficult to carry on your person or difficult to use in general?
Just to carry on your person. Its a little top heavy as you are tying on it with both hands but you get use to it. I am still using it trying to get used to carrying it. I have a case coming in the mail today for it and will continue to give it a shot. Of course I would like more apps to be in landscape mode but maybe that will come in time.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Nokia’s new budget Windows Phone Nokia Lumia 525 unveiled. This one has double the performance speed than the earlier budget Lumia Smartphones like Nokia Lumia 520, Nokia Lumia 620 and Nokia Lumia 625.
First off, thank you Captain Advertisement for that. Secondly, the only difference between the 520 and 525 is ram size.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I am not frustrated with myself at all. I never owned a phone that large so I thought I would give it a try. You must be so perfect that you knew it would be just the device for you.

You know you could go to any number of cell phone stores and handle a Galaxy Note 3 BEFORE ordering the Lumia 1520. I think a lot of us want a big phone and we are just tired of people popping up months after the size of the phone was leaked and wailing... the phone is big! Yes you knew this months ago and you could have checked out the Galaxy Note but you didn't. I guess what we are saying is it is your prerogative not to research and plan but do we really need to read a thread about it? What's next people getting the Lumia 1520 and going OMG this doesn't have the latest iOS!

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
You know you could go to any number of cell phone stores and handle a Galaxy Note 3 BEFORE ordering the Lumia 1520. I think a lot of us want a big phone and we are just tired of people popping up months after the size of the phone was leaked and wailing... the phone is big! Yes you knew this months ago and you could have checked out the Galaxy Note but you didn't. I guess what we are saying is it is your prerogative not to research and plan but do we really need to read a thread about it? What's next people getting the Lumia 1520 and going OMG this doesn't have the latest iOS!

....and I so do not understand YOU not understanding.

People can research, go to the mobile store, and play with it tethered to a display all they want, but READING about and PLAYING with a device like this is just not the same as UTILIZING and LIVING with it.

Those of "you" who want big phones have zip, zero, nada to worry about. Large devices are the rage, and you can't have a Hero device unless it is 5.0" or bigger these days. They are not endagered species in the mobile market. Heck, the Moto X got slamed for "only" being 4.7".

I am lost as to why you are offended this 6" behemoth may end up being to much for some people when they get it home and live with it for a while. While I try not to use this line too much: Why are commenting on this thread if the thread offends you?

Just start a thread bragging on the L1520. Trust me, we will flock to compliment you for doing it.

And by the way.... when did they take iOS off this monster??? Now I don't want it....

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I think what Citizen X was trying to say is that it's pretty obvious from the start if a 6" phone is going to work for you or not. It's not something that requires a lot of time to figure out.

It either feels comfortable or it doesn't. I usually go in and play with the display models for quite some time before making a decision. I may even pop back in a store 3-4 times just to work with the phone and see how it feels before I make a decision.

It's also a case where I also agree that I don't actually see the point to this thread. I'm not saying that you shouldn't post...but also I just don't see the point of it other than to state that you didn't like the size.

I would say also being snarky with others probably isn't going to garner you a lot of friends on here. There's a time and place for snark...this isn't one of them.

w4rmk

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
I am returning my 1520 tomorrow. The main reason is because AT&T's service is terrible where I live (Golden, Colorado). I have been with Verizon for several years and have never had call dropping/quality issues. In the week I've been testing the 1520 with a Go Phone account (no contract) I have been wholly disappointed with AT&T service. More "call failed" issues in the past week than I have had with Verizon in 2 years. Commuting the signal variations fading in and out where awful. I then starting asking several co-workers who are on AT&T what they thought of their service and all said the same thing - "it sucks". I am going to wait until the new Nokia Lumia 929 is released for Verizon. I think the smaller size/screen will suit me better in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99