06-19-2014 05:59 PM
55 123
tools
    Yep one of the main things I moved from Android (Galaxy fan for years) was the camera history with Nokia, and when I saw big phone, great spec, nice camera....I jumped ship, and I can say if no fix happens in the next month or so I will go back to Android and never return lol
    Whats worse is I got a message off tech support saying that I was the first person to mention the poor performance of the camera/videos.....more people need to speak to them or nothing will happen.
    12-09-2013 08:32 AM
    My Note 3 outperforms my 1520 in every way including camera from videos to pictures. The 4 microphone sound does not seem to make a difference. The Note 3 also takes way better pictures of things in motion. I hope this is a software issue, because that was one of the main reasons I got the phone.
    really?? In all fairness I disagree. I retuned the note 3 over the horrid camera and the annoying hissing sounds it made during my videos...maybe mine was a defect, who knows even pocketnow was pretty livid on that part of the note 3, they thought Samsung could have stepped it up. I think Nokia should be able to do a little bit of a software fix but I'm not holding my breath. Even my 1020 still has little issues that drive me nuts..
    Can't have everything I guess :(
    12-09-2013 08:43 AM
    Its funny because I have been with Samsung for years, but now and then I saw an advert showing off how good Nokia phones were with videos and photos, and every time I thought I might make the change I would see the poor cpu/screen specs and end up sticking with Sammy.
    Then I see this one, great specs in all areas, so I thought this would be it, power and great photos/videos..........my face is in my palms....gutted lol They nail the thing they have been behind on for years and then mess the thing up they always get praise for.
    Better get an update out for the camera and the other little issues or its back to Sammy for me.
    12-09-2013 12:50 PM
    Well, finally recorded some low light videos of my own. First thing I thought to myself as I watched them: "I have to find the 'Poor low light HD videos' thread and post how much I agree with how bad the performance is." Hopefully this is fixed soon. My L920 videos were infinitely better than these, sigh.
    12-10-2013 10:49 PM
    Glad others seeing this, hope more of us can inform Nokia we are not happy.
    12-11-2013 04:46 AM
    Did anyone speak to Nokia? what did you hear back off them? finding more people on other sites now starting to complain....but unsure if we are all passing this on to Nokia :-)
    12-15-2013 05:02 AM
    I just watched one of my test video on my TV and it didn't look so bad. From my computer screen it looks worse. I personally value more smooth playback and steady video over noise free quality.

I guess it is more off hardware related than software. 2.4f aperture combined to small pixels. If you compare those to i.e Lumia 920 which have 2.0f aperture and larger pixels there is big difference. If they tweak software to use lower ISO setting we end up having quite dark videos. I wonder if there is much to do on software side.
    12-15-2013 05:35 AM
    Well I hope its a case of rushed software, this is not close to what I call high end, more so because this is Nokia, home to the all mighty phone camera....or so I thought.
    Should it be this is the norm, well then this will be my 1st Nokia and last.
    I knew something was up when my wife (god bless her lack of tech knowledge) watched a video we shot indoors and said "why is the picture so crap, your Samsung is much better"
    12-15-2013 06:06 AM
    I already went over this. Based on the information available to me, the 1520 should be BETTER than the 920, not worse, and not just the same. The sensor has quite a bit more area on it.
    12-15-2013 06:06 AM
    Oh and we all saw the song filmed with the 1520, the amazing sound and great picture.......in a room flooded with light lol wonder what it would look like with normal indoor lights lol

12-15-2013 06:12 AM
    So, firmware update is out. Has anyone had a chance to see if it fixes this issue?
    12-19-2013 02:24 PM
    Yeah keen to hear this myself, hear the touch thing is fixed....but might want to hold off on that until more tried it.

As for camera????
    12-19-2013 02:33 PM
    Well, just got home and finished the update. Sadly, it appears that low light video recording is still an issue.
    LimeSoda likes this.
    12-19-2013 05:43 PM
    Two of my friends (married couple) just got note 3's and they said they are really disappointed with their cameras. They said its ok if you hold perfectly still, but if not the pictures turn out blurry. They showed me some examples and its definitely wasn't great. I came from a 920 and the night shots are better than my 1520, but other than that the 1520 is great. I smell a troll
    12-19-2013 06:44 PM
    Few more showing 1520 issue...wait for the low light/night

This is another vs, and yes the photos is a win for the 1520 but wait until you see videos near the end....the night ones lol (dont know why I laugh as I am really not happy with how crap it is in low light)

I hope they get this on par with other phones at the very least.
    12-19-2013 06:54 PM
    Users who own international version of Lumia 1520, which has inbuilt wireless charging, also experiencing this issue, or is it limited to only 1520 with AT&T edition?
    12-19-2013 11:53 PM
    Not sure if that affects camera? but anyway this is problem for all 1520 all over the world, its poor software that needs optimized....or so we hope.
    maverick786us likes this.
    12-20-2013 04:20 AM
    Nokia will not do that. It also spoiled lumia 1020 low light recording with black update. It is because Nokia wants us to give equal importance to lumia 1020 too. Nokia want to sell as many camera-centric high end Nokia Lumia phones before Microsoft comes out with phones having simply LUMIA branding | Nokia thinks us that we are fool | We must get whatever they throw in the market | Trust them that they will fix their purposely committed spelling mistakes in their algorithms with future updates and install...
    12-30-2013 08:57 AM
    Review here showing some change in daylight videos, he did one in low light but hard to see real change as its not a before and after.

12-30-2013 10:22 AM
    This is pretty damning. Samsung Galaxy Note 3 vs. Nokia Lumia 1520: Bigger, better, faster - GSMArena.com

Even in daylight there is no comparison.
    12-31-2013 05:55 PM
    This is pretty damning. Samsung Galaxy Note 3 vs. Nokia Lumia 1520: Bigger, better, faster - GSMArena.com

Even in daylight there is no comparison.
    Going to disagree on your comment regarding the daytime pics. What you're looking at is different filters applied to the jpeg. Not a better image. The Note 3's pictures are over-sharpened. Sharpening can be done to any photo after the fact. But you can't remove it. As the Note 3 does not give you the option of a DNG file, this is troublesome. So they apply extra effects to the jpeg file, which makes it look fake, and will not always have the desired effect. While with your Lumia's DNG files, you can edit it in Lightroom afterwards.
    12-31-2013 06:20 PM
    Coming from a 920...video on the 1020 really sucks! I hate the mechanical OIS that plays catch up after you've stopped moving! Wish I kept my 920 for videos!!!
    12-31-2013 06:29 PM
    Going to disagree on your comment regarding the daytime pics. What you're looking at is different filters applied to the jpeg. Not a better image. The Note 3's pictures are over-sharpened. Sharpening can be done to any photo after the fact. But you can't remove it. As the Note 3 does not give you the option of a DNG file, this is troublesome. So they apply extra effects to the jpeg file, which makes it look fake, and will not always have the desired effect. While with your Lumia's DNG files, you can edit it in Lightroom afterwards.
    I thought I linked to the video page. My comment (and this thread) refers to video.
    01-01-2014 07:43 AM
    I'm also upgrading from a 920 and I must say the biggest disappointment is the camera on the 1520 for both indoor pictures and video. Photos and videos come out grainy on the 1520 while on the 920 they are great.

I think the essence of the problem is the construction of the cameras themselves. The 920 has an f2 aperture (camera opening) while the 1520 has a narrower f2.4 aperture (allowing less light in).

I hope a future update can improve things but not sure how much software can overcome a hardware issue.

Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk
    01-01-2014 04:37 PM
    The 1520 should be better. The aperture difference is 25% less light, but with a 43% larger sensor, the enlargement ratio is smaller, which leads to cleaner images.
    maverick786us likes this.
    01-01-2014 05:15 PM
55 123