The screen brightness fluctuates - on purpose or bug?

themadpoet1

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed at times that I turn my phone screen on, it's very, very bright. I keep my phone brightness on high and battery saver brightness off, so that's expected - but then after a little while it dims just a little bit, but still bright. Is the screen's brightness supposed to fluctuate with the lighting situation you are in? This is kind of bothering me, because I feel like it shouldn't dim unless I tell it to.

Cormango

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes, your screen will get brighter as the light source gets brighter. I find it useful, especially outside in daylight. But it's sometimes a bother when reading indoors. Sometimes it dims when I don't want it to. When it does this I just turn the phone around and point the screen at a light source. The screen immediately gets bright again.

I think this setting is controlled by two options under settings/display. Try turning off the sunlight option - it's in the settings. Also try toggling the battery saver (ON and then OFF again.

themadpoet1

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I also noticed that my battery is draining VERY quickly...people told me this battery should last 2 days on heavy usage, i haven't had this phone very long, but from the way it looks, I might just get half a day on heavy usage.

HarisA1

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
How long have you had it because for the first week the battery does this with all new phones it slowly adjusts to your usage and you will notice an increase in battery life soon if this is the case

themadpoet1

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Just got it yesterday, but we'll see how that holds up. UPDATE: I messed around with some different display settings and nothing really changed. I noticed before that it would get 10% dimmer on it's own, and at times at random, but now it seems like it will get 20% dimmer at random. What gives? Microsoft you better fix this!!!

themadpoet1

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
This really seems something beyond what it's supposed to be. I wonder if I should hard reset my phone, or if that would do anything at all. It will just be pain rearranging all my tiles again and getting everything back the way i had it.

Cormango

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I have no idea. My phone dims depending on the light. If it's really bright, the phone gets really bright. If it's dark, the phone dims depending on the amount of light available. Regardless it wouldn't be a Microsoft issue, it's an OEM issue. The OEM deals with the display and how it acts.

As for the battery, I doubt you will see 2 days heavy usage on any smart phone with a comparable battery. It just won't happen. I can get a day with heavy usage on my Lumia 920. Not 24 hours, just the day. So 8AM to 8PM basically. But, I'm in an area with LTE service. And if you're only getting a couple bars of singal on LTE, well, expect your battery to drain even faster. I have WiFi, LTE, Bluetooth, and NFC always ON. I just charge my phone every night.

Also, kill the battery some night and then leave the phone off for a while. Don't plug it in right away. An hour or so later try to power on the device. I did this and to my amazement the device powered on and showed 20% battery remaining. The damn thing lasted through the night and into the next morning after some heavy usage. I gave it a full charge. After that, the battery percentage was much more accurate. The phone lasted much longer. This was about two weeks after I got my Lumia 920.

Some days, when I rarely use the device and I'm in an area with good reception, I can get days out of my battery. I've managed to get 4 days of light usage on a charge. You can get more on standby with minimal usage. But who buys a smartphone and doesn't use it? :)

If the display is acting up, bring it to your mobility dealer. Have them try the same thing with one of their devices. See if it happens with another device.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Some days, when I rarely use the device and I'm in an area with good reception, I can get days out of my battery. I've managed to get 4 days of light usage on a charge. You can get more on standby with minimal usage. But who buys a smartphone and doesn't use it? :)

Along those lines, did you know the Corvette can get 30+ mpg highway since 1997? But it's a lot more fun to get less than 20 :smile:

themadpoet1

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
After using this phone more all day, I think the brightness fluctuation is totally random to me. It doesn't make a different what light situation I'm in or where I'm at, sometimes it's super bright, sometimes 10% dimmer, sometimes even 20% dimmer. This is frustrating as hell, I'm calling Microsoft and I'm going to have them send me another one. I ran a hard reset this morning and it's not doing it as frequently now, but the problem is still there. I wonder if everyone that has this phone is having the same problem?

anon(20964)

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
My Lumia 1520 is dam near perfect. If I were you I'd exchange it versus posting a play-by-play of your screen issue. Best wishes...

Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk

Creeto

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue. This is discussed in another thread labeled "screen dimming". It happens with auto dim, sunlight , and battery saver off. Even on a medium setting. I don't mind this when I have the settings on, however its not suppost to happen when its off. At home like to keep it on medium and it dims after a short while. I lock/ un lock a couple of times then its then shortly dims. I exhanged it once to have the same issue. Any one have this issue resolved w an exchange?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb