International 1520 vs AT&T 1520 - Your Pick

5150 Joker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
So I'm in the market for a new phone, been using the Galaxy Note I since it's release and it's time to retire it. I didn't take Windows Phones seriously until I saw the 1520. While I still think WP8 is lagging behind Android in key features, I'm tired of the stutter/lag Android has no matter how good the phone's specs. On that note, I'm split right now between getting an international 1520 (no warranty except squaretrade) vs an AT&T one. I know there's challenges in getting the AT&T one unlocked but my sister's had their service for several years now so I plan to use her account to get the code.

AT&T of course gimped the 1520 by removing Qi wireless charging and halved the internal storage from 32gb to 16gb vs the international one that has everything except LTE. If you guys had to pick one, would you think sacrificing manufacturer warranty and LTE is worth the trade off? Or would you go for AT&T's gimped version with half the ram? I know a 32 GB one is slated for release but there's been no date given and I hate playing the waiting game.

EDIT: PURCHASED THE INTERNATIONAL (RM-937) 1520! :grin:
Just a quick update for the thread, I ended up purchasing a Yellow RM-937 variant off eBay for $684 shipped. The seller warranties the product for 12 months (60 days parts and labor) and opens it to check for defects prior to shipping. I bought my Galaxy Note from them before too so its a very solid seller. In the end, I realized LTE is completely useless for me with its tiny GB caps, so even if I can download stuff faster, I'd still be constrained severely by caps. Given that the international (RM-937) is superior in every way compared to AT&T's version and the cost difference was only $84 between getting the AT&T one on Amazon vs eBay, it made my decision that much easier. In fact I got $13.68 eBay bucks as a result so the total cost was $670! That makes the price difference a mere $70 between the gimped AT&T version and the RM-937.

I just realized the AT&T version doesn't come with headphones either so add another $10 for that to the cost saved: http://www.amazon.com/Original-Noki...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2246691 so now the price difference is only $60!
Link to eBay store: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e....ebay.com%2Fitm%2F271334229429&token=WevrMF3j

Last edited:

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
You wont beable to unlock the 1520 i believe for 6 months

Sent from my LG-D801 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

5150 Joker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Their unlock policy states the following:
General Eligibility Requirements for Unlocking All AT&T Mobile Devices
AT&T will unlock an AT&T Mobile Device under the following circumstances:
The person requesting the unlock must be one of the following:
a current AT&T customer a former AT&T customer who can provide the phone number or account number for the account The AT&T Mobile Device was designed for use on AT&T's network.The AT&T Mobile Device has been paid for in full. The AT&T Mobile Device has not been reported lost or stolen.

Customer-Specific Requirements
Postpaid Phones and Tablets with a Service Commitment: Account is in good standing (i.e., it has no past due amount or unpaid balance owed AT&T), and all contract obligations, including any Service Commitment, associated with the device to be unlocked have been fully satisfied. The Service Commitment associated with a given device may be satisfied in one of the following ways:
Fulfillment of the Service Commitment by expiration of any contractual term Upgrading to a new device under AT&T standard or early upgrade policies. Note: the customer must wait 14 days after the device upgrade has been completed to request an unlock of the previous device. Payment of any applicable Early Termination Fee

Postpaid Phones and Tablets with no Service Commitment: Account has been active for at least sixty days and is in good standing (i.e., it has no past due amount or unpaid balance owed AT&T).

Prepaid / GoPhones: Device has been active for at least 6 months.

Additional Information About AT&T Mobile Device Unlocks
Business customers should make a request to unlock a business device at ATT.com/biz. Current customers will be allowed up to five (5) unlocks per account, per year. Former customers will be allowed a total of five (5) unlocks per former account. In addition, AT&T will unlock any AT&T Mobile Device for an active and deployed member of the military who is a current AT&T customer in good standing and is able to provide AT&T with deployment verification.
AT&T Mobile Device Unlock Requests
To request an AT&T Mobile Device unlock just complete our simple online unlock request form and we'll take it from there.
Requests may complete within 48 hours but may take as long as 5 business days.
Important Note
AT&T reserves the right to deny any unlock request that it concludes would result in an abuse of this policy or is part of an effort to defraud AT&T or its customers. AT&T further reserves the right to alter this unlocking policy at its discretion without advance notice.
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...viceunlock%2Fclient%2Fen_US%2F&token=ZXTDwC1l

I'm not going to be using a Prepaid/GoPhone plan so the 6 months doesn't apply. I'm going to use an existing family AT&T plan to get the code which is in line with their policy.

Last edited:

BDBDBD

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
There have been a few discussions here between AT&T policy in theory and reality. Sure, AT&T Policy states the above where you are supposed to be able to unlock the phone upon being an active customer. The reality is that almost no one has been able to do this successfully. Either the website says the phone is unable to be unlocked or the salespeople say they are locked out of the system, there always seems to be an issue. Just read the threads here and you'll see what people are dealing with.

5150 Joker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
There have been a few discussions here between AT&T policy in theory and reality. Sure, AT&T Policy states the above where you are supposed to be able to unlock the phone upon being an active customer. The reality is that almost no one has been able to do this successfully. Either the website says the phone is unable to be unlocked or the salespeople say they are locked out of the system, there always seems to be an issue. Just read the threads here and you'll see what people are dealing with.

Yes I saw a few people ran into issues but I'm going to try to get their supervisors on the phone and see how it goes if I decide to go with the gimped AT&T version.

I would anyday prefer the international version....its has 32gb in built has qi charging and is unlocked.

The international version is tempting because it has everything feature wise except LTE. Problem is HSPA+ is pretty slow out here (2-3 Mbs down, 0.8 Mbps up) so having a much faster connection seems quite appealing. Qi wireless is something I could give up since I'm used to plugging a power cable into my phone but the cut down internal storage [corrected] really bothers me.

Last edited:

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes I saw a few people ran into issues but I'm going to try to get their supervisors on the phone and see how it goes if I decide to go with the gimped AT&T version.

The international version is tempting because it has everything feature wise except LTE. Problem is HSPA+ is pretty slow out here (2-3 Mbs down, 0.8 Mbps up) so having a much faster connection seems quite appealing. Qi wireless is something I could give up since I'm used to plugging a power cable into my phone but the cut down ram really bothers me.

I would not want a non LTE device either. I have a 64gb microsd for my music and photos so the 16gb of internal storage is not a big deal to me. The main reason I chose the 1520 over the 1020 is the microsd slot on the 1520.

I am not aware that the international version has more than 2gb of RAM. Or, are you referring to the decreased internal storage?

The Qi charging is not a big deal but it is curious why it was removed.

I am 100% satisfied with this device.

Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
This is so subjective, but I guess that is why you put up the poll!! :smile:

I was actually torn on this one, because that 32GB of memory is important. This is a 6" device aimed at media consumption. The built in storage is always better then expanded.

But, I voted for the AT&T version because:

-While not as handy and a little limiting, it does have the option for expanded memory, which helps offset the 32GB reduction.

-There are wireless shells to offset the loss of the Qi standard built in. while expensive, and a different standard, the option is there if you truly miss the wireless charging. Also, they have these neat cords that plug into a wall socket and into the phone, I hear they charge your cell phone really well. So again.... the AT&T version has options to replace what is missing.

But there is no way to add in LTE capabilities later. Yes, the pretend-4G HSPA+ speeds are fine, but since this is a mass media device, those LTE speeds and connections will make a huge difference in streaming services and downloading other goodies. Buying the international version sacrifices that for the life of the device.

Kha Bui

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
What service will you be using the phone with? LTE isn't the same between all carriers. While AT&T's 1520 has LTE, that doesn't mean it will work on someone else's LTE.

AT&T also wont unlock a device until you've owned it for 6 months. It will need to show up on your account or purchase history for 6 months.

There are exceptions for cheaper devices sometimes. But they wont unlock higher end smartphones before that 6 month time period.

You dont want to pay money only just on the hope that MAYBE you might be able to unlock it if you are able to convince a supervisor to go against internal policy.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
If you are going to use it on at&t's network get the at&t version. A smartphone without LTE 100% fully functional is terrible.

5150 Joker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
What service will you be using the phone with? LTE isn't the same between all carriers. While AT&T's 1520 has LTE, that doesn't mean it will work on someone else's LTE.

AT&T also wont unlock a device until you've owned it for 6 months. It will need to show up on your account or purchase history for 6 months.

There are exceptions for cheaper devices sometimes. But they wont unlock higher end smartphones before that 6 month time period.

You dont want to pay money only just on the hope that MAYBE you might be able to unlock it if you are able to convince a supervisor to go against internal policy.

Where does it state that their internal policy is 6 months? Their website clearly states what their requirements are and they are legally obligated to follow that.

Faksnima

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I had to register to reply to this thread. I can't believe some of the complaints I'm hearing regarding 16gb instead of 32 or the removal of Qi charging. This phone is $99 on contract from AT&T....compared to the note 3, it's nearly 1/3rd to 50% lower (depending on US provider)...Yes the note 3 comes with 32gb but still has no standard wireless charging.

Guys, this thing has a micro sd card...for $99, I think the 16gb difference is minimal. Just buy a card with the amount you saved. As for Qi charging, I still think that's a matter of taste. Personally, it's a neat little feature (for me), but I'd have little use for it unless I bought multiple charging docks. I have my phone plugged into my car's usb, my bedroom's usb, my computer's usb...it's never in one place...in addition there is a fix for that as well - buy the cover.

Fact is, if a 16gb option was available, as well as a 32 gb option, I'd go w/ the 16. With a Micro SD card, 7gb of skydrive storage, and 50mb of Mega online storage, I'm sure you won't run out of space. One thing that may've been a game breaker for me was changing the screen from IPS to AMOLED, but thankfully the international variant's screen was kept.

AT&T was never going to sell this unit at $250+, which is what it may've ended up costing if internal storage and Qi was added. WP8 is still very niche right now and Nokia/AT&T/Microsoft want to sell as many as possible. I bought this phone on Saturday for $99, the MS store threw in the $40 Nokia case, $70 in apps and Halo Spartan Assault for free. Not to mention AT&T's retention unit has a back to contract promotion of a $100 on the line being upgraded. They also waived my activation fee. I almost got paid to take the 1520 and I'm growing to enjoy it very much. Let's not pick on small variances - fact is as WP users, we appear to get incredible bangs for our buck.

daikku

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
As far as I know, the international version comes with LTE. I would personally but the international version of I were you assuming it works perfectly well in the US. Which it should!

5150 Joker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I had to register to reply to this thread. I can't believe some of the complaints I'm hearing regarding 16gb instead of 32 or the removal of Qi charging. This phone is $99 on contract from AT&T....compared to the note 3, it's nearly 1/3rd to 50% lower (depending on US provider)...Yes the note 3 comes with 32gb but still has no standard wireless charging.

Guys, this thing has a micro sd card...for $99, I think the 16gb difference is minimal. Just buy a card with the amount you saved. As for Qi charging, I still think that's a matter of taste. Personally, it's a neat little feature (for me), but I'd have little use for it unless I bought multiple charging docks. I have my phone plugged into my car's usb, my bedroom's usb, my computer's usb...it's never in one place...in addition there is a fix for that as well - buy the cover.

Fact is, if a 16gb option was available, as well as a 32 gb option, I'd go w/ the 16. With a Micro SD card, 7gb of skydrive storage, and 50mb of Mega online storage, I'm sure you won't run out of space. One thing that may've been a game breaker for me was changing the screen from IPS to AMOLED, but thankfully the international variant's screen was kept.

AT&T was never going to sell this unit at $250+, which is what it may've ended up costing if internal storage and Qi was added. WP8 is still very niche right now and Nokia/AT&T/Microsoft want to sell as many as possible. I bought this phone on Saturday for $99, the MS store threw in the $40 Nokia case, $70 in apps and Halo Spartan Assault for free. Not to mention AT&T's retention unit has a back to contract promotion of a $100 on the line being upgraded. They also waived my activation fee. I almost got paid to take the 1520 and I'm growing to enjoy it very much. Let's not pick on small variances - fact is as WP users, we appear to get incredible bangs for our buck.

There is no way 16 GB of internal memory costs $150+ premium, you would have to be extremely naive to believe that. Flash memory is extremely cheap these days. Secondly, their off contract price (which is what this thread is about) is $550+ and for that price it should have 32 GB. An external sd card is a poor substitute for internal storage since it comes with limitations and is slower.

There is absolutely no excuse for AT&T to have cut it in half. And ditching Qi wireless for an unproven standard was just politics on AT&T's part, nothing that benefits the consumer.

You can try. But if you are unsuccessful, dont say that you weren't warned.

I've heard it can work on Straight Talk without an unlock, is this true? That's what I plan to use it with but regardless I'll push for an unlock code. If I go for AT&T's version I'll likely wait on the 32 GB since 16 GB is terrible for a high end flagship phone. My old Note that's a few years old already had 16 GB internal + microSD functionality so a brand new flagship phone should certainly double that.

That said AT&T has stated the full 32 GB version will be available from them so I'm hoping it's by next month.

Malcolm Clement

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
someone with knowledge on the matter - can you answer this?

is it possible to retrofit the lumia 1520 (or lumia 1020 for that matter) with built in qi charging? if all it takes is a thin case to make the device qi compatible is it possible for someone to build it in after the fact? i understand this would include a partial disassemble of the phone much like changing the shell on a lumia 920.

KillerFry

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Hey there!

I am very interested in the 1520, and I've found a site that offers it unlocked - which, since I live in Mexico, that's the way to go... I guess...

What they told me is they have the RM-937 and RM-940 models. It is my understanding that RM-940 is the one for AT&T, right? So if I get the unlocked international one I will get wireless charging, which I like.

My other question is... and forgive my ignorance on this... but in Mexico it seems that LTE uses the 850 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100 bands (which seem to be the same ones AT&T uses), but the global model (RM-937) has support for 800 / 900 / 1800 / 2100 / 2600... does this mean I won't be able to use LTE?

Thanks for your help!

================= EDIT ============

I just found out how LTE works. It seems that Mexico uses the LTE Band 4, just as AT&T does... so I guess I'd have to wait for the unlocked RM-938 if I want LTE speeds here... then again, LTE is just new, and they're just testing it in like... 6 or 7 cities in the country. I just happen to be in one.

Last edited:

5150 Joker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I just got back from the AT&T store and the manager working there claimed no unlock codes would be issued on the phone for at least 6 months. I mentioned the website policy to him and he said, "well its wrong because I bought a lumia 920 off contract and I had to wait 6 months for the unlock code. We have a contract with the manufacturer and they don't allow unlocks for a period of time". Don't know if he was clueless or just speaking from his own anecdotal experience. Clearly there are people on this forum that have obtained unlock codes so there has to be a way around it.

So final question before I decide: Can the AT&T locked version be used on Straighttalk that uses AT&T towers?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss