International 1520 vs AT&T 1520 - Your Pick

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
A couple of points regarding recent posts. I have a family shared data plan and the per device monthly cost is $50. I also bought the device outright for $540. Then subtract the $200 I saved on my 2520 by buying a bundle. That means I pay less on ATT over 2 years than the quote above for Straight Talk.

I don't see how the MicroSD has created any impact on performance. Apps still run on internal anyway.

Also, to the person above who said they used up all the memory in 4 days, why not just add a MicroSD for media storage?

Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk

kbilly70

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Also, to the person above who said they used up all the memory in 4 days, why not just add a MicroSD for media storage?

Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk

I was using an SD card for media. My storage was filled with apps, games, and maps. Apparently you can force map storage to the SD card but even then it didn't leave much left.

DroidDaddy

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I picked up the AT&T version from the MS store with the promotional $50 gift card for 549. I couldn't resist the cheaper price since the international versions were at least $200 more expensive. I just ordered a Qi wireless charging receiver coil and saw a tear down video Nokia Lumia 1520 Disassembly - YouTube

that will hopefully allow me to enable Qi charging on my AT&T phone. Unfortunately, I won't have the charging coil for a few weeks as it's shipping from overseas. If that doesn't work, hopefully there will be replacement hardware back covers and maybe we'll be able to swap an international back cover on to our AT&T phones.

5150 Joker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
The 1520 on Amazon is $596 dollars or thereabout after tax and shipping if you have Prime. On eBay there are RM-937 phone's that are selling for as low as $684 shipped so that's less than a $100 price difference between the two. Kinda makes the AT&T version much less compelling. Has anyone inquired about the 32GB AT&T version? I asked a rep yesterday and he had no idea when it would be out but his best guess was "maybe sometime during the holidays".

Indivestor

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
The provided link is for any here who want to know about the Lumia 1520 Model variants and the Networks and Connectivity detail...

Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937, RM-938, RM-939) - Reviews and Full Specifications

Additionally, from Engadget.com as of mid-November 2013...

At the time of this writing, the Lumia 1520 has only been announced on one US carrier, but it's widely available in other parts of the world. There are three different model numbers, each offering compatibility with different networks. Each variant has quad-band GSM/EDGE (850/900/1800/1900) and at least four HSPA+ bands (850/900/1900/2100), but AT&T's model (the RM-938) comes with a fifth band for AWS, technically making it compatible with T-Mobile's HSPA+ network. Only two of the models come with LTE: the RM-937, which features compatibility with five bands (800/900/1800/2100/2600), and the RM-938, which offers support for a different set of five bands (2, 4, 5, 7, 17). Those mainly serve AT&T and T-Mobile in the US. (Update: We didn't clearly state another pair of differences on the AT&T version versus the global units. The AT&T option only comes with 16GB internal storage and wireless charging requires an optional cover, whereas the global models are 32GB and have the capability built-in.)

My question is... What would Rogers add to their version of the Lumia 1520 [ if ] that the Expansys.ca Lumia 1520 would be missing?

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Stop with the international version. There is not an international version, there is a global version, more correctly the RM-937. It has no US LTE bands.
The RM-938 is the US version and the RM-940 is the AT&T version.
The RM-938 has all US LTE bands, T-Mobile and AT&T.

Device Details -- Nokia Lumia 1520

5150 Joker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Just a quick update for the thread, I ended up purchasing a Yellow RM-937 variant off eBay for $684 shipped. The seller warranties the product for 12 months (60 days parts and labor) and opens it to check for defects prior to shipping. I bought my Galaxy Note from them before too so its a very solid seller. In the end, I realized LTE is completely useless for me with its tiny GB caps, so even if I can download stuff faster, I'd still be constrained severely by caps. Given that the international (RM-937) is superior in every way compared to AT&T's version and the cost difference was only $84 between getting the AT&T one on Amazon vs eBay, it made my decision that much easier. In fact I got $13.68 eBay bucks as a result so the total cost was $670! That makes the price difference a mere $70 between the gimped AT&T version and the RM-937.

Edit: I just realized the AT&T version doesn't come with headphones either so add another $10 for that to the cost saved: http://www.amazon.com/Original-Noki...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2250921 so now the price difference is only $60!

Link to eBay store: Nokia Lumia 1520 32GB Phone RM 937 Yellow Factory Unlocked Brand New Extra Gifts | eBay

Last edited:

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
If you are going to use it on at&t's network get the at&t version. A smartphone without LTE 100% fully functional is terrible.

If we're talking about Sprint, Verizon or AT&T I would agree. T-Mobile's HSPA is quite fast and as fast as AT&T's LTE in some places (downlink).

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
One thing that may've been a game breaker for me was changing the screen from IPS to AMOLED, but thankfully the international variant's screen was kept.

What? All 1520 variants have the same IPS screen. There is no AMOLED available at this size/resolution. And thank god for that.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I've heard it can work on Straight Talk without an unlock, is this true? That's what I plan to use it with but regardless I'll push for an unlock code.

Yes, generally a phone that is locked to a carrier's network will work fine on all MVNOs that use that network. Straight Talk uses more than just AT&T so make sure you specify AT&T when you order service...

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
The provided link is for any here who want to know about the Lumia 1520 Model variants and the Networks and Connectivity detail...

Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937, RM-938, RM-939) - Reviews and Full Specifications

Additionally, from Engadget.com as of mid-November 2013...

At the time of this writing, the Lumia 1520 has only been announced on one US carrier, but it's widely available in other parts of the world. There are three different model numbers, each offering compatibility with different networks. Each variant has quad-band GSM/EDGE (850/900/1800/1900) and at least four HSPA+ bands (850/900/1900/2100), but AT&T's model (the RM-938) comes with a fifth band for AWS, technically making it compatible with T-Mobile's HSPA+ network. Only two of the models come with LTE: the RM-937, which features compatibility with five bands (800/900/1800/2100/2600), and the RM-938, which offers support for a different set of five bands (2, 4, 5, 7, 17). Those mainly serve AT&T and T-Mobile in the US. (Update: We didn't clearly state another pair of differences on the AT&T version versus the global units. The AT&T option only comes with 16GB internal storage and wireless charging requires an optional cover, whereas the global models are 32GB and have the capability built-in.)

That's wrong. AT&T's is the RM-940. The RM-938 DOES come with HSPA+ on AWS though, which is needed for true T-Mobile compatibility. No idea when we'll see that one though.

Phrozty

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
So I'm still happy that I get LTE speeds... but I'm running out of space :/. Even with the 64gb card that I'll be getting for xmas, I wish I had more space for games and such. I never used to game on my old phone, but now w/a 6 inch screen.... yeah.

I thought I heard on some forum somewhere (I know, pretty precise, right?) that you could download the install files for an app on your SD card and ONLY have the app files on your phone... anyone have info on that?

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
So I'm still happy that I get LTE speeds... but I'm running out of space :/. Even with the 64gb card that I'll be getting for xmas, I wish I had more space for games and such. I never used to game on my old phone, but now w/a 6 inch screen.... yeah.

I thought I heard on some forum somewhere (I know, pretty precise, right?) that you could download the install files for an app on your SD card and ONLY have the app files on your phone... anyone have info on that?

I believe this is true, but idk how to go about doing it. I finally broke down and got an at&t 1520. I was holding out for the 32GB version, but with the rumor about that version not having expandable memory, and the article on wpcentral saying they are working on installing apps on the microSD for the next version, I just took the plunge. And what an awesome plunge it was.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12