I am a big Nokia fan and Lumia user. I bought my Lumia 820 the very next day it was launched in India. I remember the days preceding it, when I was getting impatient with Nokia because of the delay in the launch. Now I want to get a hand on 1520, or better still a variant of 929 (as I would prefer 5" phone, with same specs). However, once again the device which is available in western countries is not launched yet here. Unfortunately, the hype around it would have died by next month, and we will have a new device in 929 launched before that globally. As I am die-hard Nokia fan, I am often being ridiculed by Android users around me. I have counters for almost all their arguments, and as they have little argument against obvious benefits of Lumia, the discussion always turns to the kind of treatment Nokia gives to users in a country like India.
    All of Samsung launches reach India within weeks of the global launch and hence Samsung is still no.1 smartphone seller in India despite tough local competition. Nokia is loosing on the hype created during global launches and therefore chance to gain more market share. Nokia must make these devices available globally rather quickly.
    By the time their 'flagship' model is launched here, there is already a better version available globally. I do feel treated like a 'second citizen' by Nokia. This definitely results in loss of shipments of quite a few units of their top end phone here in India as many people know that a better Lumia is already launched globally. I hope Nokia realizes that India is not just a price centric market. It is fine for them to launch a 520 or 525 weeks within global launch, while top end phones need to wait for months before reaching India.
    Please change this practice Nokia (now Microsoft), or else you will never see a good enough traction among top-end phones in India. I do feel treated like a 'second citizen' by Nokia.
    hipporama and Pontifex like this.
    12-06-2013 12:03 AM
    Agree. Its just ridiculous of Nokia.
    Pontifex likes this.
    12-06-2013 12:36 AM
    I am a big Nokia fan and Lumia user. I bought my Lumia 820 the very next day it was launched in India. I remember the days preceding it, when I was getting impatient with Nokia because of the delay in the launch. Now I want to get a hand on 1520, or better still a variant of 929 (as I would prefer 5" phone, with same specs). However, once again the device which is available in western countries is not launched yet here. Unfortunately, the hype around it would have died by next month, and we will have a new device in 929 launched before that globally. As I am die-hard Nokia fan, I am often being ridiculed by Android users around me. I have counters for almost all their arguments, and as they have little argument against obvious benefits of Lumia, the discussion always turns to the kind of treatment Nokia gives to users in a country like India.
    All of Samsung launches reach India within weeks of the global launch and hence Samsung is still no.1 smartphone seller in India despite tough local competition. Nokia is loosing on the hype created during global launches and therefore chance to gain more market share. Nokia must make these devices available globally rather quickly.
    By the time their 'flagship' model is launched here, there is already a better version available globally. I do feel treated like a 'second citizen' by Nokia. This definitely results in loss of shipments of quite a few units of their top end phone here in India as many people know that a better Lumia is already launched globally. I hope Nokia realizes that India is not just a price centric market. It is fine for them to launch a 520 or 525 weeks within global launch, while top end phones need to wait for months before reaching India.
    Please change this practice Nokia (now Microsoft), or else you will never see a good enough traction among top-end phones in India. I do feel treated like a 'second citizen' by Nokia.
    MS being based in US has a US centric strategy, and despite their best efforts they are not able to gain traction in US, time for them to relook at their strategy
    Lance_WPCentral likes this.
    12-06-2013 12:51 AM
    yea, same exact case for the Philippines right now. where as before, during the heydays of Nokia, i'm telling you a $700 feature phone (8210, 7210, etc.) will launch here first and sell like hotcakes.

the Philippines might be a third world country, but man we love our cellphones over here. we have more iPhones and the highest end androids over here than Japan, Australia, etc.
    12-06-2013 01:03 AM
    Agreed. Hell, I remember Nokia launching the Lumia 900 in India a month before the 920 was announced. They really do need to speed up their worldwide launches. And they also need to get their pricing right.

In any case, a friend of mine who owns a mobile store in B'lore has said that the 1520 is expected this month end and the training for Nokia staff is already done for it.
    12-06-2013 01:39 AM
    Well I wouldn't complain too much if I were you. The US version has half the internal storage and no qi wireless while being carrier locked so it's not like Nokia/Microsoft are giving us a great option.
    12-06-2013 01:46 AM
    Maybe, but that is only on AT&T. The global version has 32gb and qi wireless charging built in and that was also announced at the same time as the US version.
    12-06-2013 02:10 AM
    The launch date for the Lumia 1520 is scheduled for mid December. I even checked with Nokia Sales representatives and they informed me that they had already undergone their training for the 1520 and that it will be arriving shortly. Don't worry, have a little patience. :)
    12-06-2013 02:33 AM
    The launch date for the Lumia 1520 is scheduled for mid December. I even checked with Nokia Sales representatives and they informed me that they had already undergone their training for the 1520 and that it will be arriving shortly. Don't worry, have a little patience. :)
    I spoke with Nokia Care an hour back. he also confirmed that 1520 will be available this month. I agree about Nokia's India product launch strategy. I don't know what they achieve by this strategy. in fact in India they do not have any carrier specific version problem.
    12-06-2013 03:07 AM
    I'm wondering when the RM-38 version is being launched. That's the non ATT&T US version.
    12-07-2013 09:12 AM
    Me too...screw Sht&T
    12-07-2013 09:27 AM
    Same situation in Spain. Too delay in launch date. Have I to suppose that Spain belongs to UE??
    Last edited by marcelohc; 12-07-2013 at 11:54 AM.
    12-07-2013 10:19 AM
    It is the same story with most countries in the world. I wonder if the reason is production and logistics. If it is, it a real shame because for a company this old it is unacceptable. I don't think they are selling anywhere near as many units as Samsung and if Samsung can ensure that there are devices available across the globe then why can't Nokia? Nokia has a decent presence of marketing, sales and support staff in all major countries. So manpower is surely not a constraint. Either they are too unsure of their own devices that they manufacture only a handful of them prior to a US launch and then wait for production to ramp up. This could be a right thing to do for a small time regional player, not for the second largest mobile manufacturer of the world, which hopes to reclaim the number 1 position.
    Something is seriously not right in terms of its thinking there.
    hipporama likes this.
    12-07-2013 11:16 AM
    Mark your calendars! Lumia 1520 launching on Dec 16th.

Nokia may launch Lumia 1520, 1320 in India on Dec 16 - The Times of India
    12-12-2013 04:41 AM
    I just got mine! :D Right off the supplier too.
    12-17-2013 12:47 PM