My 1520 gets extremely HOT when I play any game. Is this normal?

Dallas Gaston

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
I switched from iPhone to a Nokia Lumia 1520 and LOVE it! I am never going back.

The one concern that I have is that after about 5 to 10 minutes of game play (Asphalt 8, SpiderMan, etc) my phone gets extremely hot on the top left corner. I use the work extrememly because I feel if i were to play for another 10 minutes, the phone would melt or I could burn myself!

Does anyone else have this same issue? What should I do?

Thank you!

Mark Reed2

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Thats the problem, we all want thinner phones and yet more power cpu/gpu, so as the chips gain power+heat and then you run them on your new thinner phone, you will feel heat, they are just not made with built in fans or much room for the heat to dissipate, thus your phone gets hot.
Some games will push the phone more and this means more heat, this will be ongoing until tech finds a way to run chips in such a small space and not get hot.
The only issues you might get is hot fingers and as heat builds it can add to draining the battery, but from what I read it needs to get very hot before it has any affect to battery life.
Oh and I own one of these :)

LeiChat

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I have a theory about why certain apps cause your phone to get hot.
A lot of free games include adverts which I believe may use location sensors (e.g. GPS)

Mark Reed2

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
^^ well I guess you could turn it off and test that, or turn on flight mode, tbh it can also be how the game is optimised.
I mean a year ago I was running Crysis 3 on my pc maxed out, it pushed my pc but its built for that, it made the cpu/gpu run warm/hot, around the same time I tried Dead Island and ran it maxed out, my pc ran hotter even though its a long way off the power needed for Crysis 3, this is because it was poorly programed, the same issue with some mobile games happens, some are made to run on say IOS and then when they are ported over they suffer on performance.

Hawkhe

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Very well could be a defect problem especially since Nokia did a huge jump in hardware specs. I know my S4 and Note 3 got a little warm after playing games over 10 min but my wifes 1520 gets really hot close to the edge. Could have to do with the hard shell not disapating heat or just not enough ventilation. With phones getting more powerful they are going to start making more heat but they are also more heat resilient.

I would say it would be nothing to worry about unless you are bear gripping it and covering all the holes, I think its just the way the phone was designed.

VoltageRules

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Mine gets extremely hot during a call. I just had to end a 15 minute conversation with someone because my ear was on fire. The phone was hot to the touch both front and back along the top edge for about an inch down. Please tell me this is not normal behavior.

Hawkhe

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Try to get a read on the temperature and contact Nokia about it if it is getting that hot. Very possible to have defective devices like any new product launch.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
If it's getting hot enough that you feel like you may get burned or anything of that nature it is definitely not normal.

I would seek a replacement unit from your local AT&T corporate store or AT&T Device Service Center. They should be able to take care of you if you are in the US.

For those outside the US I would contact Nokia directly and see about getting a replacement.

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
My 920 also gets hot during gaming. It's normal on the 920 (for an intensive game).

It's a bit dissapointing that the 1520 does this too. On the 920 I have found it to be uncomfortable. Also if you receive a call during a gaming session, you then have to put the hot phone next to your ear which is also not very nice.

I never used to have these heat issues on my old Samsung Omnia 7.

GrapeEyes

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Mine gets extremely hot during a call. I just had to end a 15 minute conversation with someone because my ear was on fire. The phone was hot to the touch both front and back along the top edge for about an inch down. Please tell me this is not normal behavior.

Your comment made me laugh so much!! thank you and on a serious note "What the Hell" I purchased my Lumia 1520 about 4 days ago and did notice it got really hot in my pocket. I might have to send it back because I purchased it via Carphone Warehouse online.

The only problem is, I love the phone, It is on a different league compared to my Lumia 920, which looks like a 10 year old phone next to the Lumia 1520!!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I never used to have these heat issues on my old Samsung Omnia 7.

well when you consider that recent devices have higher powered internals, I guess heat is to be expected

my old 33 -> 400 MHz Palm Pilots never heated up, never slowed down.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
well when you consider that recent devices have higher powered internals, I guess heat is to be expected

my old 33 -> 400 MHz Palm Pilots never heated up, never slowed down.

Yes and no. With the faster speeds comes process improvements and die shrinks that reduce the amount of energy used as well. So oftentimes it's a wash. You get a faster more efficient processor, but with a smaller die size that leads to things staying about the same as far as thermal envelope goes.

Phrozty

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Hmm... mine hasn't gotten too hot playing dungeon hunter 4 or Kingdoms and Lords (which I desperately need friends in :()

Mark Reed2

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Unsure on how hot is too hot, it does get warm/very warm, but its not burn fingers warm, problem is the shell is not great at getting rid of heat.
My SGS4 got almost this warm but it had a easy time to cool quick because of the back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster