Lumia 1520 & Monster Controltalk

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Are your headphones designed for iPhones or Androids? Typically anything designed for iOS does not work properly on anything other than iDevices.

jtanigawa

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I think it is designed for iPhones. Is this a software issue that Microsoft can solve via an update or does it involve specific hardware on the device?

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand why a standard Monster headphone won't work with this Lumia. Anyhow, Urbanears do sell their headphones with a "Nokia Lumia Adaptor."

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand why a standard Monster headphone won't work with this Lumia. Anyhow, Urbanears do sell their headphones with a "Nokia Lumia Adaptor."

Was just looking at the Urbanears website and don't see anything about a Nokia Lumia Adaptor. Where is that info from?

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I recommend going to Best Buy or another retail store that sells the headphones you like and actually trying them with your phone. The control functions on headphones designed for iPhone will not with Windows phones but sometimes the Android headphones will. I have the Nokia Purity Pro by Monster headphones and ear buds, which work perfectly with the 1520, and I'm happy with them. Don't forget your 1520 has an equalizer so you can adjust the audio to best match both your headphones and your personal taste.

SoloXCRacer

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
It's because not everyone can agree on a standard for the 4-pin 3.5mm headphone.

iphoneaudio.png
omtpaudio.png

So in general, look at the box your headphones come with. If you find a label with something like "Make for iPhone/iPod" or "Made for Apple", The controls will work on anything non-Apple.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Just for kicks I tested three different Monster cables that I have from various sources. In pictures, top is from the Nokia Purity On-ear headphones, middle from the Dr Dre Beats Solo, bottom from the Dr Dre Beats Studio:
WP_20131209_15_10_49_Pro.jpg

Results:

The Nokia set is a three button controller, and works with every Windows Phone I've owned, as it should. Buttons don't work on my iPod shuffle.

The red three button Dr Dre cable from the Solo headset doesn't work on my 1520 at all. Only sound. None of the buttons work: volume, pause/play/next/previous. It does work with my iPod Shuffle, as expected.

The black single button cable from the Studio headset works perfectly on my 1520. Being a single button controller, it doesn't have volume, but pause/play worked, as did holding the button and using voice commands. Buttons don't work on my iPod Shuffle.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Was just looking at the Urbanears website and don't see anything about a Nokia Lumia Adaptor. Where is that info from?

From the two Urbanears I have/had. Tanto (still have) and Medis (returned)

Both works on my Lumia 610, Xperia V, HTC 8S and every i device i own.

Single button controlled pause, next and previous track. I didn't use the supplied adaptor.

Sent from my LT25i using Tapatalk 4

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone here use proper headphones, etc. like the audio technica m50's. The more high end headphones don't have controls on the audio cable.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Define proper headphones...

High-end headphones are not supposed to be driven by a phone.

I have tried the Focal, B&W, AT, Beyerdynamic, Harman Kardon, etc. and a few of them are sensitive enough for use but they may not shine.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos