Other Storage

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
I have installed all of the apps I need and have been using my 1520 for about 4 days. My "other" storage is hovering around 500MB. Will it stay there?

What is your Other storage at on your 1520?

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Stop using nokia's outdated and inaccurate storage check tool.

Use Microsoft's built in phone storage thing, updated for GDR3

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
So the other is now just "temporary files"?

Not exactly. The way storage is handled by the system has been changed, and the way storage is reported to you has also been changed.

Simply put, 'temporary files' is something you can clear yourself, or at least lower it to 50MB or so. It comprises map data, and internet explorer cache. So clearing recently used maps and internet explorer cache will also lower it.

wraypa1

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I dont know if this is the case for everyone, but my GF's HTC 8x had about 8 gigs of other storage making it basically unusable. Anyway i think it was almost entirely due to the photos in her skydrive upload folder (as the phone keeps a local copy) as when i moved them to another location in skydrive the space cleared up (it did take a little bit of time to synchronise this change).

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
I dont know if this is the case for everyone, but my GF's HTC 8x had about 8 gigs of other storage making it basically unusable. Anyway i think it was almost entirely due to the photos in her skydrive upload folder (as the phone keeps a local copy) as when i moved them to another location in skydrive the space cleared up (it did take a little bit of time to synchronise this change).

when I had my 8GB 8x it never got over about 1.5 gb of other. I never auto-upload anything. Never have. I always had over 1/2 of the 8gb available. I'm not too worried about it with the 1520. It has twice the on board storage as my 8x and a SD card slot.

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Most "other" storage is app private storage. If an app has some reason to create a file on the phone (that isn't media), it'll be cataloged as "other".

Any book you download in the Audible app falls under this category, since Audible books aren't available as regular audio files.

Another big offender is the Navigon/Garmin app. It doesn't use the same maps as the built-in or Nokia map apps, so any Garmin offline maps you download will similarly be app-local, and therefore "other."

The main change in GDR3 isn't so much the elimination of app local storage, but the Phone Storage settings applet now includes said storage in the "apps and data" category, rather than separating it out into the FUD inducing "other" bucket.

As always, in the Lumia Storage Check beta, you can get some sense of which apps are hogging the most storage by clicking on the apps summary to see the list of each app and its data sorted in descending size order. Obviously, Audible and Navigon lead the list on my phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans