GDR3 10521 Update on Lumia 1520 Improves Performance

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone. I hadn't seen a thread yet from anyone with a 1520 that had decided to bite the bullet and install the latest GDR3 developer preview update.

I finished the install a little bit ago and decided to do some benchmarking to test out the differences from the 10517 build that already ships on the device. I had already noticed some performance improvements as noted in the news article on the front page, but I wanted to see if this was a placebo effect or a real performance change I was seeing. Sure enough there was a 6.4% performance difference in favor of the newer build.

Here's the before and after benchmark results.

Before (10517):....................................................................After (10521)
wp_ss_20131209_0002.pngwp_ss_20131210_0001.png

Last edited:

JaiMento

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, but is this a developer's update, or something? I'm not seeing any update on my phone. Thanks in advance for the clarification.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I thought the 1520 came with the official gdr3 and the black update already so how are you guys getting this update as well for the developer preview

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
The pics tell the story, but I'll explain it as well. :)

The 1520 ships with version 8.0.10517.150.

The dev update is version 8.0.10521.155.

Make sense? :)

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I had actually performed multiple runs (10) before and after the update and the results were fairly consistent. Some minor differences in score (like +/- 1 point) on the individual portions. So overall it should be indicative of the 6.4% boost I mentioned in the case of the AT&T 1520.

Mark Reed2

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Well its maybe early days but can you check 2 things.
1/ is the touch screen any better, the whole swipe been picked up as a tap issue.
2/the horrible noise in low light videos....and lack luster all round performance with video (mainly low light)

Thanks in advance :)

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Well its maybe early days but can you check 2 things.
1/ is the touch screen any better, the whole swipe been picked up as a tap issue.
2/the horrible noise in low light videos....and lack luster all round performance with video (mainly low light)

Thanks in advance :)

I haven't really had the swipe to tap issue, except for the first couple days. I was coming from a Lumia 900 so the size meant having to adjust how I used the screen. Once I got used to the larger size and started making slightly larger swipes I stopped having issues with the swipes becoming taps. I will say (for what it's worth) that it does seem to handle the tracking better.

On the second issue, this is just an OS update, not a firmware or OEM software update...which is what would fix the camera issues.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
This will only show to those who applied for the Preview right?

I didn't see the update until I dev unlocked the phone and installed the preview program app. I have no idea if they are rolling this out to anyone else at this point. I hadn't been keeping up on Windows Phone 8 news until just recently since I had a Lumia 900.

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
My homescreen sees more stuttering with this update. It seems to have done more harm than good, either that, or my eyes are playing tricks with me. It did seem to make the scrolling smoother in web browsing though.

EDIT: seems better and smoother after a reboot

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone. I hadn't seen a thread yet from anyone with a 1520 that had decided to bite the bullet and install the latest GDR3 developer preview update.

I finished the install a little bit ago and decided to do some benchmarking to test out the differences from the 10517 build that already ships on the device. I had already noticed some performance improvements as noted in the news article on the front page, but I wanted to see if this was a placebo effect or a real performance change I was seeing. Sure enough there was a 6.4% performance difference in favor of the newer build.

Here's the before and after benchmark results.

Before (10517):....................................................................After (10521)
View attachment 51712View attachment 51713

I was just about to post a thread for as i just read the article on Wpcentral about this.

I originally had updated my Lumia 1020 to the Developer preview for GDR3 and i did it by using the app studio.

I forgot how to do it though for my 1520 lol
Any help would be nice :)

This new update is applicable for Att users on the 1520 correct?

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Soo, I don't have a 1520, but I ran wpbench on my 1020 post-update, and the score is inline with non-updated 820/920/1020s with snapdragon S4. So, I don't think it made a difference on my end. Could you run sunspider 1.0.2 through the web browser and post a screenshot or tell us your score post-update?

Mark Reed2

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Out of interest, asking long time Nokia owners, just how long do Nokia normally take to update new phones with a fix eg HD camera in low light, hit and miss touch on screen (worse for some people than others)
Saw on one forum that a guy who has a Nokia pal (unsure if true) said they are working on screen issue now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion