01-21-2016 04:37 PM
71 123
tools
    Speaking of ProClips, I came across this while watching /Drive on youtube.

iOauto Pro

I wonder if this application will work with the 1520.

EDIT:
    Also came across this interesting crowd funded mount. The nGroove Snap by Mountek: Mount Any Mobile Device In Your Car CD Slot | Indiegogo

Its interesting as well because it can be used as a desktop stand and in other fashions.
    Hmm....that cd slot holder looks really interesting. Though I'd be really worried about excess pressure and potential damage when holding a half-pounder of a Lumia 1520. Haha.
    01-05-2014 03:24 AM
    Hmm....that cd slot holder looks really interesting. Though I'd be really worried about excess pressure and potential damage when holding a half-pounder of a Lumia 1520. Haha.
    The nGroove is currently available from Amazon and other places. I got one for Christmas. It works both in the CD slot and jammed into and crack/crevice on your dashboard. The issue for me is how to "hide" the metal plate that needs to go onto the back of the 1520. I tried Plasti-Dip, but I'm not very good at spraying it, making it look bad. I am still looking into solutions.
    01-05-2014 05:15 AM
    The nGroove is currently available from Amazon and other places. I got one for Christmas. It works both in the CD slot and jammed into and crack/crevice on your dashboard. The issue for me is how to "hide" the metal plate that needs to go onto the back of the 1520. I tried Plasti-Dip, but I'm not very good at spraying it, making it look bad. I am still looking into solutions.
    What about the metal plate behind the case like the webside suggests. Granted that works only if you have a case.
    01-05-2014 10:26 AM
    What about the metal plate behind the case like the webside suggests. Granted that works only if you have a case.
    No case -- and I don't want one. I'm now considering one of the "skins" for the back so that it can hide and smooth the edges of the plate.
    01-05-2014 02:01 PM
    No case -- and I don't want one. I'm now considering one of the "skins" for the back so that it can hide and smooth the edges of the plate.
    Skin should work well. I have contacted Mountek about if the 1520 is supported. I will also check with them about mounting the plate to a skin, just in case..
    01-05-2014 04:28 PM
    I will give my review about Snap after I get my item on Wednesday...i just order it..
    EpidemikE1 likes this.
    01-05-2014 04:37 PM
    Skin should work well. I have contacted Mountek about if the 1520 is supported. I will also check with them about mounting the plate to a skin, just in case..
    If your question is about whether the magnet in the mount is strong enough to hold onto the 1520, the answer is yes. The metal plate that the mount attracts attaches to the 1520 with adhesive tape, which is already applied to the back of the metal plates that ship with the nGroove.

I don't want to mount the plate to a skin, but rather under it so that the plate itself isn't visible.

If you have the RM-937 (international version with Qi charging coil), you'll want to attach the plate as close to the camera bulge as possible so it doesn't interfere with wireless charging. The magnets are strong enough to hold the 1520 in portrait or landscape mode, although I didn't do much driving with it in landscape and that orientation, combined with the off-center plate placement, is the one that should provide the greater challenge for the mount.
    01-05-2014 06:25 PM
    If your question is about whether the magnet in the mount is strong enough to hold onto the 1520, the answer is yes. The metal plate that the mount attracts attaches to the 1520 with adhesive tape, which is already applied to the back of the metal plates that ship with the nGroove.

I don't want to mount the plate to a skin, but rather under it so that the plate itself isn't visible.

If you have the RM-937 (international version with Qi charging coil), you'll want to attach the plate as close to the camera bulge as possible so it doesn't interfere with wireless charging. The magnets are strong enough to hold the 1520 in portrait or landscape mode, although I didn't do much driving with it in landscape and that orientation, combined with the off-center plate placement, is the one that should provide the greater challenge for the mount.
    Getting ATT version so no QI charging for me w/o a case. :(

I dunno, I would think that having the plate under the skin would cause some issues with the application of the skin. You could always buy 2 skins and mount the 1st skin as normal and then with the second, cut out a template to cover the plate.
    01-05-2014 07:33 PM
    Last night I bought a generic $22.99 GPS mount from Best Buy and am extremely happy with the build quality and the way it fits the 1520. The top and bottom bars can even slide to ensure you are not pressing the power/volume buttons down. I am a fan.

Attachment 51948
    Which one did you get there at Best Buy...do you have a model number and maker of the mount? Still looking for a decent one, and yours looks nice for $23
    01-06-2014 01:06 AM
    Which one did you get there at Best Buy...do you have a model number and maker of the mount? Still looking for a decent one, and yours looks nice for $23
    yeah man I can't say enough good things about it. I have the receipt out in the car.. I'll update tomorrow once I get to work. I have no pants on and it super cold out 😁
    tonybessette likes this.
    01-06-2014 08:07 PM
    okay..
    my review for this car mount

positive
    this item very good, my Lumia 1520 never fall in car during drive on bumpy road..
    i use windshield type before, will too dangerous cant see blind spot behind phone and easy for snatch thief to see if you are at traffic light.
    i use at my saga FLX, the cd player can still play CD...
    most impressive is your phone is like floating on the air, during police roadblock, that uncle policeman need to see 2-3 times how my phone like that since Lumia body so big so cant see car mount..

negative
    screw too tight, what i mean is that hole still virgin lol...
    the screw very hard to use since your finger need squeeze abit to screw it blade at CD player
    01-07-2014 11:17 PM
    yeah man I can't say enough good things about it. I have the receipt out in the car.. I'll update tomorrow once I get to work. I have no pants on and it super cold out
    It's cold down here in FLA, so I can only imaging how cold it is anywhere else. Take you time, I am not in no hurry :)
    01-08-2014 09:54 AM
    I've also been impressed with the 1520 battery life and I've used proclips for years. But I intend to use the 1520 GPS navigator with the screen on of course, so I am considering the charged optio
    I just ordered the ProClip center mount and holder with tilt swivel without the charging station ($69.66l, including a %10 discount with promo code) and plan to have an extra micro usb cable in the car. Have you received yours yet? It looks like the one without the charging station may not hold securely in the vertical oriention as there appears to be no base for the phone to rest on.
    01-08-2014 07:35 PM
    I bought this one for my 920, and now that I have a 1520, this mount is beast enough to hold onto it very securely. Not a bad mount, especially since I listen to all my music from my phone and do not use cds.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pUvbUpU2290949
    01-08-2014 07:48 PM
    I picked up the rockform universal mount for my 1520. I really like the multiuse of using their mount and the magnet to mount to any metal. I also like the sport clip accessory. If it doesnt work out, Ill be getting the Mounttek nGroove.
    01-08-2014 11:24 PM
    I picked up the rockform universal mount for my 1520. I really like the multiuse of using their mount and the magnet to mount to any metal. I also like the sport clip accessory. If it doesnt work out, Ill be getting the Mounttek nGroove.
    the Mounttek is pretty nice and puts the phone in a great spit for music control and GPS :)
    01-08-2014 11:52 PM
    I know, I dont know why more folks make use of the CD slot since I havent put a CD in there for at least 3 years. One gripe abou the MountTek nGroove is it doesnt include the metal plate, thats kind of effed up.

I went with the Rokform because I like it's versatility and i really dig the sport clip they have
    01-09-2014 12:10 AM
    One gripe abou the MountTek nGroove is it doesnt include the metal plate...
    The nGroove box includes two metal plates -- the thicker one is for heavy devices, the thinner one is for light-weight devices.
    01-09-2014 06:25 AM
    Really? The product description doesnt represent that on the web page. Plus it has the suggestion to purchase a plate which I am guessing would be extras after your post. SMH
    01-09-2014 06:54 AM
    I just ordered the ProClip center mount and holder with tilt swivel without the charging station ($69.66l, including a %10 discount with promo code) and plan to have an extra micro usb cable in the car. Have you received yours yet? It looks like the one without the charging station may not hold securely in the vertical oriention as there appears to be no base for the phone to rest on.
    I haven't used any of their models which don't have the charger built in, but I'd imagine there would be some sort of obstruction at the bottom end of the holder to keep it from sliding further down, all it takes is less than a mm of plastic on the perpendicular plane. I would be really surprised if that wasn't thought of. Plus, these things so far have always fit nice and snug, they've all had that GI Joe kung fu grip without being uncomfortably tight. I don't anticipate any sort of issue with it holding the 1520 securely in place.
    01-09-2014 09:08 AM
    yeah man I can't say enough good things about it. I have the receipt out in the car.. I'll update tomorrow once I get to work. I have no pants on and it super cold out
    I'm interested in that too. I have a VW GTI and there is no good place to mount a phone.

I have a universal vent mount from BB but the 1520 is so tall that the center of gravity is above the mount top. So if I hit the gas hard the phone gets violently ejected.
    01-09-2014 09:22 AM
    I'm interested in that too. I have a VW GTI and there is no good place to mount a phone.

I have a universal vent mount from BB but the 1520 is so tall that the center of gravity is above the mount top. So if I hit the gas hard the phone gets violently ejected.
    I drive a Jetta TDI :)
    01-09-2014 10:04 AM
    Which case did you attatch the Rokform mount to?

I just ordered one as well from them and then order the Incipio feather case to attach it to (and a cheap Chinese one so I could get free shipping).

I'm going to mount the magnet that comes with the universal mount to my exisiting ProClip mount so the I'm using the built in magnet on the Rockform clip. Hope that works...
    01-09-2014 02:24 PM
    Really? The product description doesnt represent that on the web page. Plus it has the suggestion to purchase a plate which I am guessing would be extras after your post. SMH
    Yeah, I just looked again and the description is rather incomplete. The box that I got via Amazon included the mount and two plates of differing thickness. I think that MounTek sells extra plates in case you have many devices that you want to occasionally mount in the car.
    01-09-2014 02:42 PM
    Here's a photo of the passive ProClip holder.
    I haven't found any of the UK stockists listing it yet though. :(
    511589-4.jpg
    01-09-2014 07:18 PM
71 123