Car mount

ragingklu

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
It looks like with the ProClip I cannot have a case on the phone at all? Even the thin ones?

For some of the phones they make holders that will support thin cases IIRC. It hasn't really ever been a problem for me because I like softer cases that are easy to remove and replace. I didn't see a case-friendly option on the preorder list but I might have missed it.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I got a InfiniApps CD slot mount that works well but I had to modify it with stronger magnets to hold the 1520. It really works great and holds the phone pretty well.

Here's a link to the mount: Amazon.com: InfiniApps Slyde CD Slot Mount for Smartphones, Cradle-less Universal cell phone holder with Quick-snap technology, magnetic cell phone mount: Cell Phones & Accessories
Here's a link to the stronger magnets: BYKES 10 Neodymium Super Strong Extremly Powerful Rare Earth Refrigerator Magnets 1/2 x 1/8 inch Disc N48 (Epoxy Black): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

I simply removed the rubber cover and replaced the included magnets with 6 of the new ones. There is a very thin piece of metal on the inside of my case that attaches to the magnets. Even though the case is a leather case, it still holds very well with the stronger magnets.

Here's a pic of how the mount looks in my car:
View attachment 51967

This one just might actually work for me. I like what I use now but this design would get the phone up much higher than it is now. Awesome.

LeiChat

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
For some of the phones they make holders that will support thin cases IIRC. It hasn't really ever been a problem for me because I like softer cases that are easy to remove and replace. I didn't see a case-friendly option on the preorder list but I might have missed it.

They also offer this which should fit a 1520 with a slim case.
Large Universal Adjustable ProClip Holder T1?-?ProClip USA

I can't find a UK stockist of the above though.
I will probably stick with the standard 1520 passive mount and opt for a pouch style case instead.

HyperMatrix

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Speaking of ProClips, I came across this while watching /Drive on youtube.

iOauto Pro

I wonder if this application will work with the 1520.

EDIT:
Also came across this interesting crowd funded mount. The nGroove Snap by Mountek: Mount Any Mobile Device In Your Car CD Slot | Indiegogo

Its interesting as well because it can be used as a desktop stand and in other fashions.

Hmm....that cd slot holder looks really interesting. Though I'd be really worried about excess pressure and potential damage when holding a half-pounder of a Lumia 1520. Haha.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Hmm....that cd slot holder looks really interesting. Though I'd be really worried about excess pressure and potential damage when holding a half-pounder of a Lumia 1520. Haha.
The nGroove is currently available from Amazon and other places. I got one for Christmas. It works both in the CD slot and jammed into and crack/crevice on your dashboard. The issue for me is how to "hide" the metal plate that needs to go onto the back of the 1520. I tried Plasti-Dip, but I'm not very good at spraying it, making it look bad. I am still looking into solutions.

EpidemikE1

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
The nGroove is currently available from Amazon and other places. I got one for Christmas. It works both in the CD slot and jammed into and crack/crevice on your dashboard. The issue for me is how to "hide" the metal plate that needs to go onto the back of the 1520. I tried Plasti-Dip, but I'm not very good at spraying it, making it look bad. I am still looking into solutions.

What about the metal plate behind the case like the webside suggests. Granted that works only if you have a case.

EpidemikE1

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
No case -- and I don't want one. I'm now considering one of the "skins" for the back so that it can hide and smooth the edges of the plate.

Skin should work well. I have contacted Mountek about if the 1520 is supported. I will also check with them about mounting the plate to a skin, just in case..

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Skin should work well. I have contacted Mountek about if the 1520 is supported. I will also check with them about mounting the plate to a skin, just in case..
If your question is about whether the magnet in the mount is strong enough to hold onto the 1520, the answer is yes. The metal plate that the mount attracts attaches to the 1520 with adhesive tape, which is already applied to the back of the metal plates that ship with the nGroove.

I don't want to mount the plate to a skin, but rather under it so that the plate itself isn't visible.

If you have the RM-937 (international version with Qi charging coil), you'll want to attach the plate as close to the camera bulge as possible so it doesn't interfere with wireless charging. The magnets are strong enough to hold the 1520 in portrait or landscape mode, although I didn't do much driving with it in landscape and that orientation, combined with the off-center plate placement, is the one that should provide the greater challenge for the mount.

EpidemikE1

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
If your question is about whether the magnet in the mount is strong enough to hold onto the 1520, the answer is yes. The metal plate that the mount attracts attaches to the 1520 with adhesive tape, which is already applied to the back of the metal plates that ship with the nGroove.

I don't want to mount the plate to a skin, but rather under it so that the plate itself isn't visible.

If you have the RM-937 (international version with Qi charging coil), you'll want to attach the plate as close to the camera bulge as possible so it doesn't interfere with wireless charging. The magnets are strong enough to hold the 1520 in portrait or landscape mode, although I didn't do much driving with it in landscape and that orientation, combined with the off-center plate placement, is the one that should provide the greater challenge for the mount.

Getting ATT version so no QI charging for me w/o a case. :(

I dunno, I would think that having the plate under the skin would cause some issues with the application of the skin. You could always buy 2 skins and mount the 1st skin as normal and then with the second, cut out a template to cover the plate.

tonybessette

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Last night I bought a generic $22.99 GPS mount from Best Buy and am extremely happy with the build quality and the way it fits the 1520. The top and bottom bars can even slide to ensure you are not pressing the power/volume buttons down. I am a fan.

View attachment 51948

Which one did you get there at Best Buy...do you have a model number and maker of the mount? Still looking for a decent one, and yours looks nice for $23

lucas.scott

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Which one did you get there at Best Buy...do you have a model number and maker of the mount? Still looking for a decent one, and yours looks nice for $23

yeah man I can't say enough good things about it. I have the receipt out in the car.. I'll update tomorrow once I get to work. I have no pants on and it super cold out 😁

apisfires

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site

okay..
my review for this car mount

positive
this item very good, my Lumia 1520 never fall in car during drive on bumpy road..
i use windshield type before, will too dangerous cant see blind spot behind phone and easy for snatch thief to see if you are at traffic light.
i use at my saga FLX, the cd player can still play CD...
most impressive is your phone is like floating on the air, during police roadblock, that uncle policeman need to see 2-3 times how my phone like that since Lumia body so big so cant see car mount..

negative
screw too tight, what i mean is that hole still virgin lol...
the screw very hard to use since your finger need squeeze abit to screw it blade at CD player

tonybessette

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
yeah man I can't say enough good things about it. I have the receipt out in the car.. I'll update tomorrow once I get to work. I have no pants on and it super cold out ��

It's cold down here in FLA, so I can only imaging how cold it is anywhere else. Take you time, I am not in no hurry :)

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I've also been impressed with the 1520 battery life and I've used proclips for years. But I intend to use the 1520 GPS navigator with the screen on of course, so I am considering the charged optio

I just ordered the ProClip center mount and holder with tilt swivel without the charging station ($69.66l, including a %10 discount with promo code) and plan to have an extra micro usb cable in the car. Have you received yours yet? It looks like the one without the charging station may not hold securely in the vertical oriention as there appears to be no base for the phone to rest on.

EpidemikE1

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I picked up the rockform universal mount for my 1520. I really like the multiuse of using their mount and the magnet to mount to any metal. I also like the sport clip accessory. If it doesnt work out, Ill be getting the Mounttek nGroove.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss