Car mount

TheLiege

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
What car mounts have people got. I'm kinda waiting for a ProClip one but at the same time not sure I want to spend that much money.

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

HaibaneReki

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Does it need the case? I don't like cases on my phone.

Also does it stay on if you plug in a USB cable or does the tension pull it off the pad?

the case stays glued on the Clingo, I just pop the phone in every time. It holds just fine, I use the "springy" charge cable too..

LeiChat

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I'll go for the ProClip when it's available, but just the holder, not the powered option.

Chat with ProClip USA...

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
That actually sounds like a pretty good idea especially given the battery life I've been getting I doubt I'd ever need to charge it in the car.

I've also been impressed with the 1520 battery life and I've used proclips for years. But I intend to use the 1520 GPS navigator with the screen on of course, so I am considering the charged optio

lucas.scott

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Last night I bought a generic $22.99 GPS mount from Best Buy and am extremely happy with the build quality and the way it fits the 1520. The top and bottom bars can even slide to ensure you are not pressing the power/volume buttons down. I am a fan.

WP_20131214_12_01_12_Pro.jpg

cptlo306

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I got a InfiniApps CD slot mount that works well but I had to modify it with stronger magnets to hold the 1520. It really works great and holds the phone pretty well.

Here's a link to the mount: Amazon.com: InfiniApps Slyde CD Slot Mount for Smartphones, Cradle-less Universal cell phone holder with Quick-snap technology, magnetic cell phone mount: Cell Phones & Accessories
Here's a link to the stronger magnets: BYKES 10 Neodymium Super Strong Extremly Powerful Rare Earth Refrigerator Magnets 1/2 x 1/8 inch Disc N48 (Epoxy Black): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

I simply removed the rubber cover and replaced the included magnets with 6 of the new ones. There is a very thin piece of metal on the inside of my case that attaches to the magnets. Even though the case is a leather case, it still holds very well with the stronger magnets.

Here's a pic of how the mount looks in my car:
WP_20131010_001.jpg

dropofdreams

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I have a fairly generic GPS mount for mine as well. The problem is, I haven't yet installed it into my daily driver as I'm not sure where I'm going to put it. I recently started driving my Miata every day and there's absolutely no room to put it that isn't in the way. I don't even have the option of a slot loading unit as my head unit is a double din touchscreen. Vent holders don't work for me either as the Miata has circular vents.

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I'd say that a powered mount would be helpful if you use GPS apps much, since they tend to be battery hogs.

If you want to use Waze, car power is an absolute necessity.

Mike Paez

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
This looks interesting, but mounting it to the CD slot, is it strong enough to support the 1520?

Also is there any alternative than using that mount that you attach to the rear of the phone? Maybe something like the double sided clingo? Clingo Universal Mobile Tether - hands-free mobile phone mount

I got a InfiniApps CD slot mount that works well but I had to modify it with stronger magnets to hold the 1520. It really works great and holds the phone pretty well.

Here's a link to the mount: Amazon.com: InfiniApps Slyde CD Slot Mount for Smartphones, Cradle-less Universal cell phone holder with Quick-snap technology, magnetic cell phone mount: Cell Phones & Accessories
Here's a link to the stronger magnets: BYKES 10 Neodymium Super Strong Extremly Powerful Rare Earth Refrigerator Magnets 1/2 x 1/8 inch Disc N48 (Epoxy Black): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

I simply removed the rubber cover and replaced the included magnets with 6 of the new ones. There is a very thin piece of metal on the inside of my case that attaches to the magnets. Even though the case is a leather case, it still holds very well with the stronger magnets.

Here's a pic of how the mount looks in my car:
View attachment 51967

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
This looks interesting, but mounting it to the CD slot, is it strong enough to support the 1520?
I posted this on another forum:
I got a similar one, the Mountek nGroove Snap Magnetic Vehicle Mount. Like the Slyde, this one can go into your CD slot; unlike it, you can remove a piece and just have a thin slot that can be pressed into a seam on your dashboard. (Mine is currently between the dash and the trim that surrounds the driver's side vent.)

Since I have a giant phone without a case, I am going to Plasti-Dip the metal plate so that it mostly matches my white phone. I'll also black Plasti-Dip the magnetic part to cover the bright yellow "safety warning" since I don't need to staring me in the face whenever my phone isn't in place.
Since that posting, I have sprayed the metal plate, attached it, connected the phone, and driven a bit. The mount works -- the phone never moved. It was great. However...

My Plasti-Dip spraying skills are sub-standard and I was unable to get the sides of the plate to appear white. While I did like the general feel of the 1520 with the Plasti-Dipped plate attached (because it provides a rubberized contact point on the back), I didn't like the look of it (with the visible edges of the plate) so I removed it.

I'm going to try reattaching the plate with a piece of wide white tape. I expect this to fail miserably, but it's worth a try.

I wonder how thick the 937 shell is and if one could thin out the shell with a Dremel or other such tool so that the plate could be put on the inside. Given my spraying skills, this isn't a test for me to try on my only phone!

ragingklu

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm also just going with the ProClip holder. For only $35 for the holder itself, it's not such a bad deal. Yeah the mount was expensive but this will make it four phones which have used it, with me only having to change the holder each time. Not such a bad deal IMO, it's quality stuff.

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, once you get the the mount for your make, model and year of car, it is relatively easy and inexpensive to swap to a new phone mount. And the phone bracket, of course accommodates the micro USB charger port. I thought about getting the proclips model that has the charger incorporated directly in, so it is automatically charging as soon as you slide the phone into it, but I wasn't sure of the ampage of the proclips charger and I have a 2 port, high capacity charger that I already have and that works fine.

jbyron

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm also just going with the ProClip holder. For only $35 for the holder itself, it's not such a bad deal. Yeah the mount was expensive but this will make it four phones which have used it, with me only having to change the holder each time. Not such a bad deal IMO, it's quality stuff.

It looks like with the ProClip I cannot have a case on the phone at all? Even the thin ones?

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I bought the one right below the phone at the AT&T store...generic spring loaded with two arms on the top and bottom....really tight and works great. Just need Waze to support landscape mode....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel