Car mount

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I picked up the rockform universal mount for my 1520. I really like the multiuse of using their mount and the magnet to mount to any metal. I also like the sport clip accessory. If it doesnt work out, Ill be getting the Mounttek nGroove.

the Mounttek is pretty nice and puts the phone in a great spit for music control and GPS :)

EpidemikE1

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I know, I dont know why more folks make use of the CD slot since I havent put a CD in there for at least 3 years. One gripe abou the MountTek nGroove is it doesnt include the metal plate, thats kind of effed up.

I went with the Rokform because I like it's versatility and i really dig the sport clip they have

EpidemikE1

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Really? The product description doesnt represent that on the web page. Plus it has the suggestion to purchase a plate which I am guessing would be extras after your post. SMH

ragingklu

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I just ordered the ProClip center mount and holder with tilt swivel without the charging station ($69.66l, including a %10 discount with promo code) and plan to have an extra micro usb cable in the car. Have you received yours yet? It looks like the one without the charging station may not hold securely in the vertical oriention as there appears to be no base for the phone to rest on.

I haven't used any of their models which don't have the charger built in, but I'd imagine there would be some sort of obstruction at the bottom end of the holder to keep it from sliding further down, all it takes is less than a mm of plastic on the perpendicular plane. I would be really surprised if that wasn't thought of. Plus, these things so far have always fit nice and snug, they've all had that GI Joe kung fu grip without being uncomfortably tight. I don't anticipate any sort of issue with it holding the 1520 securely in place.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
yeah man I can't say enough good things about it. I have the receipt out in the car.. I'll update tomorrow once I get to work. I have no pants on and it super cold out ��

I'm interested in that too. I have a VW GTI and there is no good place to mount a phone.

I have a universal vent mount from BB but the 1520 is so tall that the center of gravity is above the mount top. So if I hit the gas hard the phone gets violently ejected.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm interested in that too. I have a VW GTI and there is no good place to mount a phone.

I have a universal vent mount from BB but the 1520 is so tall that the center of gravity is above the mount top. So if I hit the gas hard the phone gets violently ejected.

I drive a Jetta TDI :)

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I picked up the rockform universal mount for my 1520. I really like the multiuse of using their mount and the magnet to mount to any metal. I also like the sport clip accessory. If it doesnt work out, Ill be getting the Mounttek nGroove.

Which case did you attatch the Rokform mount to?

I just ordered one as well from them and then order the Incipio feather case to attach it to (and a cheap Chinese one so I could get free shipping).

I'm going to mount the magnet that comes with the universal mount to my exisiting ProClip mount so the I'm using the built in magnet on the Rockform clip. Hope that works...

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Really? The product description doesnt represent that on the web page. Plus it has the suggestion to purchase a plate which I am guessing would be extras after your post. SMH
Yeah, I just looked again and the description is rather incomplete. The box that I got via Amazon included the mount and two plates of differing thickness. I think that MounTek sells extra plates in case you have many devices that you want to occasionally mount in the car.

EpidemikE1

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I just looked again and the description is rather incomplete. The box that I got via Amazon included the mount and two plates of differing thickness. I think that MounTek sells extra plates in case you have many devices that you want to occasionally mount in the car.

I got my phone earlier today (yesterday actually).
@mozman68 I was going to use a full Skinomi skin and attach the Rokform to the skin. After looking at my dash (09 Altima) I just dont see a decent flat surface to mount the car mount and easily access the phone. Also after having the phone in my hands I dont think a skin is enough, even though I'd prefer the phone naked. The 1520 is kind of cumbersome in my hands ATM so I think I'll be getting a full body case for grip and some added protection. Ill just use the screen protector from Skinomi and take it from there.

The nGroove snap mount provides me with a better placement of the phone in my dash, so that and a full body case is the direction I'll be taking. Now to just choose a case, lol.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I got my phone earlier today (yesterday actually).
@mozman68 I was going to use a full Skinomi skin and attach the Rokform to the skin. After looking at my dash (09 Altima) I just dont see a decent flat surface to mount the car mount and easily access the phone. Also after having the phone in my hands I dont think a skin is enough, even though I'd prefer the phone naked. The 1520 is kind of cumbersome in my hands ATM so I think I'll be getting a full body case for grip and some added protection. Ill just use the screen protector from Skinomi and take it from there.

The nGroove snap mount provides me with a better placement of the phone in my dash, so that and a full body case is the direction I'll be taking. Now to just choose a case, lol.

Well...I'm hoping at least the Incipio feather case is rigid enough to mount the Rokform clip to...looks like it is. The proclip mount will hopefully give me a good placement for the phone, but I haven't mocked it up yet. My only concern is that it may block too much of my stereo. We'll see.

Worst case scenario is that I buty the Rockform windshield mount and go with that.

EpidemikE1

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I think the feather case is rigid enough for the Rokform clip.

I dont know about you but I really hate windshield mounts in general. The Mountek nSnap groove's CD slot position does obfuscate your view while driving.

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I had the regular proclips phone holder on back order and while I was waiting for it I decided to try the Incipio PMA Wireless Charging Case. So my 1520 will no longer fit the custom size bracket. I thought I'd try their universal bracket but I hadn't like that type of 'slide -and-clamp' bracket in the past. So, as was suggested upthread, I've ordered the iOauto Pro Magnetic Mount which works with my proclips car mount. Should have it by Tuesday.

EpidemikE1

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I had the regular proclips phone holder on back order and while I was waiting for it I decided to try the Incipio PMA Wireless Charging Case. So my 1520 will no longer fit the custom size bracket. I thought I'd try their universal bracket but I hadn't like that type of 'slide -and-clamp' bracket in the past. So, as was suggested upthread, I've ordered the iOauto Pro Magnetic Mount which works with my proclips car mount. Should have it by Tuesday.

Let us know how that works out for you, Im interested to see how well it works with the 1520.

shovelhead84

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I have seen some people mentioning the Mountek holder that uses the CD slot. I have had one for about 2 years and it has gone through 3-4 vehicles. It does a good job and I would suggest it for a cheap solution. It will not damage your CD player as long as you use some common sense (tighten till secure and stop). However, it does have a couple downfalls.

THE GOOD:
Fits in every vehicle I have tried.
Mounts to car securely without damage or modification to the vehicle.
Accommodates very large devices .
Easy access quick release
Low cost and durable.
Has a strong clamp.....however..

THE BAD:
The foam rubber does not generate enough friction in the clamp, so a heavy device can slide out when vertical (replace the foam padding with something stickier).
Bulky and unsightly when not holding a device.
Can partially block the view of head units with large displays or touch screens (can be inserted to the CD player up or down to offset vertically, but not by much).
frequent adjustment of the swivel mount causes the tension screw to loosen. It is not easy to tighten and may require a screwdriver (flat tip) on occasion.

In all, it has withstood a lot of use and has already paid for itself. If you need something that will traverse multiple vehicles and can accommodate various devices, this is a good choice. You may find a need to replace the foam padding with something more rubberized in the future.

5115+Q3bgRL.jpg

tonybessette

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I have seen some people mentioning the Mountek holder that uses the CD slot. I have had one for about 2 years and it has gone through 3-4 vehicles. It does a good job and I would suggest it for a cheap solution. It will not damage your CD player as long as you use some common sense (tighten till secure and stop). However, it does have a couple downfalls.

THE GOOD:
Fits in every vehicle I have tried.
Mounts to car securely without damage or modification to the vehicle.
Accommodates very large devices .
Easy access quick release
Low cost and durable.
Has a strong clamp.....however..

THE BAD:
The foam rubber does not generate enough friction in the clamp, so a heavy device can slide out when vertical (replace the foam padding with something stickier).
Bulky and unsightly when not holding a device.
Can partially block the view of head units with large displays or touch screens (can be inserted to the CD player up or down to offset vertically, but not by much).
frequent adjustment of the swivel mount causes the tension screw to loosen. It is not easy to tighten and may require a screwdriver (flat tip) on occasion.

In all, it has withstood a lot of use and has already paid for itself. If you need something that will traverse multiple vehicles and can accommodate various devices, this is a good choice. You may find a need to replace the foam padding with something more rubberized in the future.

View attachment 54314

Nice review! Couple of questions...does it ever accidentally touch or activate the side buttons (power, camera, ect)? Also, when you said a "heavy device can slide out vertically"...were you referring to the 1520 specifically? Do you have the 1520?

I'm thinking about getting this because..... 1. there is no mess or stickers that need to be put down for suction, and 2. It'll keep my 1520 out of the dash and sunrays for extended periods of time...plus I'd rather not have it in my direct line of view while driving (if it were up on the dash, on the window).

Hope to hear back...thanks!!

shovelhead84

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Nice review! Couple of questions...does it ever accidentally touch or activate the side buttons (power, camera, ect)?
The side clamps are solid and wide. However, the foam cushion that grips the device has a cutout in the middle to minimize button pressing. Also, it is durable and strong enough to offset the phone so that you can still access the buttons. For example, I usually clamp it on the bottom half which covers the phone button, but the others (volume/power) are accessible. With that all said, I do have a slim case that makes the buttons flush with the case, so the clamp cannot activate a button press. So, if you're running naked, you will have sweet spots and bad spots when putting your phone in the mount.

Also, when you said a "heavy device can slide out vertically"...were you referring to the 1520 specifically? Do you have the 1520?
Yes, I have a 1520. Outside of my Note, it is probably the heaviest device I have used in the mount. After making the previous post I made an observation. If I apply a bit more force when putting the phone into the mount, I was able to get an extra "CLICK" on the locking mechanism. This has secured the phone enough that it is not sliding out of the mount when in horizontal mode. Regardless, I still believe the foam needs to be changed after the two+ years of usage. I'm sure I will be taking a look at what 3M has for the task.

I'm thinking about getting this because..... 1. there is no mess or stickers that need to be put down for suction, and 2. It'll keep my 1520 out of the dash and sunrays for extended periods of time...plus I'd rather not have it in my direct line of view while driving (if it were up on the dash, on the window).
I completely agree with out of line of sight. I hate having things on my windshield. An added benefit in my car is proximity to the AC vents. I can direct a vent at the phone or away if I needs to cool down.

hangfirew8

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I just got this and am happy with it. I have it set up in Landscape mode with the suction receiver glued to the dash. I prefer a dash mount that keeps the phone below the line of sight through the windshield. It does not interfere with the buttons or charging port. As such the orientation is different than the picture linked, instead of sticking straight up the mount arm is horizontal.

Amazon.com: High Grade Car Dash Holder / Windshield 360 Degree Cradle Mount for Nokia 1520 Phablet (accommodates skins, bumpers or rugged cases): Cell Phones & Accessories

41NbuL4TAvL.jpg

The AmazonBasics mount is a good mount for a dollar less, but lacks the pivot point near the suction cup.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss