Cool Screen, can't wait to watch loads of movies..........erm..cough....Problems with Netflix!!!!!

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so here's my teeny weeny gripe; my 1520 arrived yesterday. It's awesome, really awesome. The screen needs to be seen to be believed. I could go on for hours about the good stuff Nokia/MS have done here, and I'm looking forward to the next two years of Lumia 1520 love........HOWEVER...........

Netflix just aren't keeping pace with the hardware Nokia has rolled out here. In fact, I don't think Netflix has bothered to update their app since I first downloaded it on my trusty old Lumia 800 back in 2011. If they have, then the changes are totally unnoticeable.......

In reality, the amazing screen on the 1520 is just wasted on Netflix. Whether I try to watch a movie on 4G, 3G or WiFi, I get the same problem.......A laggy and distorted picture for at least the first 1 -2 minutes of the film. Whether it's a standard, HD or even an animated movie, it's the same poor quality. And when the data stream does eventually catch up, the picture quality still isn't nearly as good as it could be. And that's a major let down. For a screen of this quality to be stuck with an Ok-ish video stream is just criminal.

Now......we everyday users are the very best people on the planet to sell the LumiaWP concept, and we're up against some stiff competition. I don't know about you, but I don't have a single friend or family member that uses WP. They're all on Apple or Android.

I am the lone voice; the persistent WP user who's trying to convince them to give Lumia a go. So what happens when I try to demonstrate my amazing new phone and it's incredible screen? Here's what happens:

Me: "hey, check out my new Lumia 1520!! How amazing is that!! You should see the screen....full HD, its effing unbelievable!!!"

Friend: "oh man, that looks so cool. My Iphone 4 looks soooo small and silly next to it. Ok, fire it up, let's see what this bad boy can do!!!!"

----hits the Netflix app button----waits a full 30 seconds for movie titles to appear----chooses movie----black screen for another 30 seconds----finally springs to life----can barely see the picture for first 90 seconds of movie----finally it begins to stream----but it's poor quality and is a big time let down....

Me: "oh...erm...ok, here let me try a different movie...."

----different movie, poor quality----turn off wifi, try 4G----same poor quality----reset router, switch off phone---try again----still poor quality

Me: "errr......hmmmm...maybe...erm...."

Friend: "hey, do you wanna see Netflix, lovefilm or SkyGo on my Iphone....it looks pretty amazing!!"

And sure enough, it did.

And you can bet your bottom Dollar that friend of mine will never, ever invest in WP.

As a UK resident I've totally given up on the idea that Sky will embrace Windows Phone in the same way that they've loved up to Apple and made all sorts of entertainment-on-the-go apps available. Your average Apple user in the UK has access to SkyGo, Sky Demand and Sky Download. In other words, an Apple phone can do pretty much everything the living room TV can. And the quality is just perfect.

Now I'm no Apple fan (please refer to my username as proof of this) but really, Microsoft and Nokia NEED to challenge this. Between them, they can bring out the highest quality hardware and the very best platform, but without Netflix, Lovefilm, Sky and all the other movie services backing them, then a big hole will remain at the centre of the Windows Phone experience.

Has anyone else had problems with Netflix on the 1520? Are there any alternatives? And when the hell is Microsoft gonna pull finger and launch a video subscription or rental service through the App store??

Last edited by a moderator:

Cotswolds

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Re: Cool Screen, can't wait to watch loads of movies..........erm..cough.....WTF!!!!!

Netflix on my 1520 often starts with poor quality and then rights itself after about 20 secs of video. It also only takes 5-6 seconds to load the app, not the 30 you stated. Perhaps that's just indicative of a better LTE signal?

Mr osi

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Re: Cool Screen, can't wait to watch loads of movies..........erm..cough.....WTF!!!!!

As another uk resident with a 1520 on 3 it sounds like your issue is your carrier/signal.
Sky are releasing a sky go app for Italy, so fingers crossed we'll get one.
MS have said that their video subscription will be coming soon. I think that I read within weeks.

Bjfcm

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site

Thanks to your post , I ran Netflix for the 1st time. Yes for the 1st 6 to 12 seconds the viewing quality is subpar. Once the film starts streaming , the picture improves vastly.
I have AT&T LTE .

I agree with the above post that states the issue being related to your signal.

Try to play Netflix with different signals in different environments

Try viewing using wi fi

I hope this works. Please keep us posted?

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site

Even on my home wifi Netflix starts off choppy and fuzzy for the first few seconds then its fine. my phone is the same. I think its a Netflix issue but is certainly no big deal as once it gets going its fine. one thing I noticed is if I watch something else and the app is already open there is no problem. So it seems its on a cold start only that is an issue at first.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Its not a issue when Netflix starts off low quality. They use adaptive streaming, where the video bitrate starts low and builds up and when your signal weakens, it will lower the quality so that the video doesn't pause and buffer. Many devices use this way, beyond cell phones. My TV and Roku player do as well.

Secondly, there is no known issue with Nokia/WP devices and slower data speeds. If your streaming is noticeably less than a different device on the same network, I'd talk to your carrier...

JaiMento

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

This is one reason why I use locally stored 1080p movies to show off the screen when someone is checking the phone out.

Edit: No streaming issues and higher quality videos.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

The only thing athat made me lol, is this "Now I'm no Apple fan (please refer to my username as proof of this)"

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Try Hulu it rocks on my L1520 on AT&T LTE. Its the same price as Netflix has more shows and more top rated movies. IMHO

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs