Internet Sharing not working on Unlocked 1520 (T-Mobile)

Earnest Flowers

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
I apologize in advance if I posted this in the wrong thread. I recently purchased an ATT Lumia 1520 from the Microsoft Store and had ATT provide me with an unlock code. I'm currently using it on T-Mobile's network and everything except internet sharing is working. I have unlimited data and I know T-Mobile hasn't blocked my ability to tether because I called them and tested my T-Mobile SIM on another device with tethering enabled with no trouble. What could possibly be the problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ahmad12

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
You got at&t to unlock your phone!!! HOW?!! I've been trying for days they wont do it for me I bought the phone at full price from the Microsoft Store.

Earnest Flowers

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
To answer TravelBro's question, it is on the $70 unlimited plan from T-Mobile. The LTE works just fine. I'm able to torrent what ever I want just like on Android.

blur510

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I apologize in advance if I posted this in the wrong thread. I recently purchased an ATT Lumia 1520 from the Microsoft Store and had ATT provide me with an unlock code. I'm currently using it on T-Mobile's network and everything except internet sharing is working. I have unlimited data and I know T-Mobile hasn't blocked my ability to tether because I called them and tested my T-Mobile SIM on another device with tethering enabled with no trouble. What could possibly be the problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm in the same exact situation as you.. internet sharing doesn't work on my 1520, hope someone can figure this out..

Earnest Flowers

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
To Ahmad Ayesh, it took me a very long time to talk to someone at ATT who knew what they were talking about and knew what they were doing. Even then, it was a big to-do. I had to have them create a case for the phone and they gave me a fax number to send my receipt to. When you get on the phone with ATT, try and be absolutely clear with them on how you bought the phone from the Microsoft Store at full price and that you would like for them to unlock phone you paid full price for. Tell them how you've attempted to unlock it via their website with no success. Then, they should ask for your IMEI and then they will create a case for you. Please ask anymore questions if you have any trouble.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
To Ahmad Ayesh, it took me a very long time to talk to someone at ATT who knew what they were talking about and knew what they were doing. Even then, it was a big to-do. I had to have them create a case for the phone and they gave me a fax number to send my receipt to. When you get on the phone with ATT, try and be absolutely clear with them on how you bought the phone from the Microsoft Store at full price and that you would like for them to unlock phone you paid full price for. Tell them how you've attempted to unlock it via their website with no success. Then, they should ask for your IMEI and then they will create a case for you. Please ask anymore questions if you have any trouble.

That's crazy. I did the same exact thing. They opened a case for me and a few days later I get a general email basically saying they couldn't provide the unlock code because none is available for my device. I might just have to call in. That's great that you were able to get it done.

Also, AT&T roms are weird in that their internet sharing might be "hard wired" to the sim card. People had trouble with MMS settings because Verizon hard-coded the settings into the rom and so even with the APN settings app, no one could ever get MMS to work on gsm networks. This might be a similar case where internet sharing only works with AT&T sim cards and only if your account is provisioned for it.

anon(5339110)

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Appears to be related to AT&T preloaded APN settings, and *may* be solvable. Lot of discussion on the 920 forum about this exact issue. While I have not (yet) tried the below solution, I do have a foreign SIM en-route with great hopes for my unlocked AT&T 920 :)

http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...mms-now-working-t-920-w-usa-t-mobile-sim.html

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
^^ the forum mentions of uninstalling access point. At least it let me enable Internet Sharing on a Rogers unlocked 920 on T-Mobile.

jtanigawa

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I have a RM-937 and I'm having the same issue. I have a standard sized international sim card, however I want to try and cut it to nano size would that make the sim still work for changing the Access Point settings?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I have a RM-937 and I'm having the same issue. I have a standard sized international sim card, however I want to try and cut it to nano size would that make the sim still work for changing the Access Point settings?
Yes it should, to use it as a standard sim you can use a sim adapter

babarinde awokere

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
The whole process from 920s forum worked for me..for some time. Now it "turned off" again.. Guess I have to re-set those settings, ill check it later..I have 928 on Tmobile btw

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
In the past, I've had internet sharing issues resolve themselves after a software update. I think that's what the keyboard hack does.

Problem is that we aren't going to be getting any 1520 updates through T-Mobile.

I'm hoping that the 8.1 developer preview later this month will break the logjam, but it probably won't.

lorisuzan

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I think you'll get the same updates as att users what matters is your original carrier even if its unlocked. That's what happened with my 920 from Rogers I unlocked it and got the updates as Rogers was giving them

anon(5884236)

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Bump. I have an unlocked ATT 1020 on T-Mobile and Internet Sharing has been working fine even after upgrading to full 8.1 (w/ Cyan). My wife's unlocked 1520 also worked (Preview 8.1 w/ Black). About 2 weeks ago, they both stopped working. I get an error asking "Add Internet Sharing" indicating my data plan doesn't include Internet Sharing. My wife called T-Mobile and they confirmed our accounts do grant us the ability to use tethering and he submitted a ticket that was escalated to another team. It's been a week now and no word.

Anybody else suddenly getting blocked using Internet Sharing?

I tried switching the APN from "fast" to "edc" to no avail.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa