1520 or 1020?

brandon261

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm about to upgrade into my own account and have my mind made up on one of the two....but which one would you guys recommend?

I've had a 900 since it's launch. I mainly use it for internet, texting, media, and occasional games, but the only thing keeping me from 1520 is the size. If only it was 5'! This is the phone I'm leaning towards because I like the space for apps.

On the other hand the 1020 is a familiar size with upgrades from mine (camera/windows 8) and would be more familiar.

Either way i have a week to decide any help deciding is much appreciated!

sbps1

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Well I depends on what you are comfortable with. I would choose the 1520 if I were you because it would be more of an upgrade. But if you want the awesome camera or the smaller screen go with the 1020.

Sent from my HTC One using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Do you HAVE to use the upgrade? As in, you would be throwing $15-$20 bucks away every month you don't upgrade? I assume you are in the States, and on AT&T, but did you roll to their new program?

Could just sit on your contracted device and wait for the 5" phone you actually want.

awesomeindeed

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
1520 is more future proof, and is really a joy to use. You'll be used to the size in a few days, and other phones will feel small in comparison. I have both, so this is just my opinion. Go try them, see how they feel in your hand and make your decision.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
As a 1020 owner, unless you really can't manage the 6" size, I'd opt for the 1520. The only real advantage of the 1020 is the camera, and we all know the 1520 is damn close in that area. Maybe night video is the 1520's only major camera difference.

You really can't go wrong either way.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Neither, wait for MWC in February. We should get a proper cameraphone based on snap 800/805 in a reasonably sized package.

KLinCHI

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Neither, wait for MWC in February. We should get a proper cameraphone based on snap 800/805 in a reasonably sized package.
At that point there'll be more waiting, since whatever's announced then won't be available for another couple of months or more. And what happens if there's nothing announced that the OP likes? He'd have wasted 2 months waiting when he could have been enjoying either phones.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
There's just no point in waiting, unless you are truly not happy with the current offerings or a future release date is set in stone. There is always something better around the corner. Also, the sooner you upgrade, the sooner you can replace that device. ;)

brandon261

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
Do you HAVE to use the upgrade? As in, you would be throwing $15-$20 bucks away every month you don't upgrade? I assume you are in the States, and on AT&T, but did you roll to their new program?

Could just sit on your contracted device and wait for the 5" phone you actually want.
yeah I'm transferring my upgrade to my own plan lol and at this point I dont want to wait cause the USB port to charge the 900 is getting worse every day (worn out).

Thank you all for your opinions I messed with the 1520 again and I think it's the right choice. :D plus my big hands can actually test one handed on it lol

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
You know that the 1520 at ATT only has 16GB onboard storage, right? And that you can't install apps to microSD? Just checking so you make an informed decision. Onboard storage for me is critical as is the zoom on the camera. 1020 wins.

giantenemybird

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I've owned both the 1020 and the 1520. Let me say that you can't go wrong with either.

I'm kicking around the idea of going back to the 1020 but for only two reasons:

1. The camera IS better on the 1020. Not by a lot for normal daytime shots, but for nighttime shots, the difference is noticeable. Also, video is much better on the 1020.

2. The closeness of the camera performance can be attributed to the 1520 having the black update. The 1020 will have that update soon which will distance the 1020 camera performance farther from the 1520.

However, here's why I might keep the 1520:

1. Holy **** the display is god.

2. The battery on the 1520 is fantastic.

I'm here and there on how important the one handed use is to me. I'm going back and forth about which phone I want to stick with. I don't think I helped you at all.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

Besides these two great reasons, the third is the quad core Snapdragon 800 SoC. It's definitely the latest generation and you'll only be guaranteeing to yourself that you'll get all the latest updates for at least the next couple of years, especially with all the talk of the Win RT and WP merging OS's.

brandon261

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
I've owned both the 1020 and the 1520. Let me say that you can't go wrong with either.

I'm kicking around the idea of going back to the 1020 but for only two reasons:

1. The camera IS better on the 1020. Not by a lot for normal daytime shots, but for nighttime shots, the difference is noticeable. Also, video is much better on the 1020.

2. The closeness of the camera performance can be attributed to the 1520 having the black update. The 1020 will have that update soon which will distance the 1020 camera performance farther from the 1520.

I'm here and there on how important the one handed use is to me. I'm going back and forth about which phone I want to stick with. I don't think I helped you at all.
The entire camera aspect isn't a big deal. I take a lot of photos but I dont need anything out of this world. Also this page could help others that are having the same problem so all the 1020 love on the 1520 is a good sign in my opinion.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Had a look at the 1520 at the ATT store today and they had it right next to a Note 3.. well.. WP just feels superior when it comes to user experience.. they really did a good job. Going from the 1520 to the Note felt like I was taking a step back in time when it comes to UX. Bravo MS.

At that point there'll be more waiting, since whatever's announced then won't be available for another couple of months or more. And what happens if there's nothing announced that the OP likes? He'd have wasted 2 months waiting when he could have been enjoying either phones.

True.. you could say that there will always be the next phone, but at this point I just don't feel like any of the WP offering are "the complete package" which is of course all relative.

The 1520 is great, but it really is too big for most people out there.

The 1020 is great, but its a bit underpowered.. it just feels rushed to market and I think Nokia can do much better with what they currently have in terms of camera technology.

And then again, like you say, MWC might be a disappointment. The only thing that worries me is the Microsoft Build conference which is scheduled for April... that means that Microsoft might have to hold back for MWC so that they have something juicy for April. We will have to wait and see.. I doubt that we will se 8.1 in February at MWC.

There's just no point in waiting, unless you are truly not happy with the current offerings or a future release date is set in stone.

That's what people said about the Lumia 900 and we all know how that went... the current gen of WP devices still has the Lumia 900 vibe to them.. you know.. more transitional than "future proof"

The 1520 is the only one that doesn't, but the unconventional size kind of puts it out of contention. The camera is good, but we know that Nokia can do much, much better.

And you know, this is just my personal assessment of the situation... trust me, I really want a new phone, but I just don't see one that checks off all the boxes just yet so I will keep using what I have.

giantenemybird

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
The entire camera aspect isn't a big deal. I take a lot of photos but I dont need anything out of this world. Also this page could help others that are having the same problem so all the 1020 love on the 1520 is a good sign in my opinion.

I think the 1520 is the way to go for you then. It's a wonderful phone.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Look at every phone ever made. There is pretty much none that are a complete package. Technology moves too fast and phones are in development too long. Practically every major phone has some missing or lacking feature, that another phone has. There's always a trade off.

Course, it comes down to complete vs complete to the individual. ;)

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
The Lumia 929 is coming on Verizon. Wait for it.

It's a 5 inch screen with 1020p resolution and a 20 mp camera. (still rumored but the leaks are consistent) I guess you're on AT&T but if your contract is up and you don't mind switching carriers then I guess the 929 will suit you best!

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site

I can see waiting until Feb for MWC announcements... perhaps. But every month you are on contract and don't ungrade your phone you are pissing away at least $20. So do the math. Three months is $60. People would be going crazy if at&t offered $60 off any phone you choose.

Unless I have a really good and certain reason I upgrade immediately. A lot of people were pissed that the Lumia 900 wasn't upgradable to WP 8, but if you had waited you would be locked into a contract right now and not able to get the 1520 nor the 1020.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb