1520 or 1020?

Kubiubo

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Personally I choose the 1020 simply because of the camera, but then again I'm a photography-enthusiast. To most people the 1520 is the better choice. Who doesn't want a BAP?

isi mcf

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I use 1020 daily and seriously don't utilize the camera, I can't wait to actually have a 1520 that I can actually text on with my giant hands lol. Having a 20mp camera will be more then enough for me.

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
for me no xenon flash no buy ...... I like a full on convergence device that can cope with as many situations you throw at it ..... without xenon flash my pub shots , nights out shots with friends are sacrificed big time with any movement in them at all due to the led flash not freezing movement or the shutter having to be so slow to let in enough light :-/

so when I would be looking at the 1020 vs 1520 I would weigh up the features and what benefits I would get out of each and the missing xenon flash is a much bigger deal for me then a newer faster cpu and bigger screen , now for you it may be different , you might not use an xenon flash that much and much prefer the bigger screen or feel that the latest cpu and gpu is something youd benefit from more as everyone is different

so for me personally I would chose the 1020 all day every day because it suits my needs better , its more pocketable , I got the 64gb version so memory isn't an issue , I prefer amoled screens , it has xenon flash and better camera , it does everything the 1520 does just on a smaller screen really doesn't it???

falconeight

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Wow! I think if your comparing those two phones you are way off in your decision making process. One is big and one is extremely big.

Tech friend

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
I've owned both the 1020 and the 1520. Let me say that you can't go wrong with either.

I'm kicking around the idea of going back to the 1020 but for only two reasons:

1. The camera IS better on the 1020. Not by a lot for normal daytime shots, but for nighttime shots, the difference is noticeable. Also, video is much better on the 1020.
giantenemybird,

I owned a 1020 for a while and I had an annoying static tone in all of my video recordings. In general, I was a little bit disappointed with the audio quality in my 1020 videos, i.e. less Stereo width, less dynamics etc - not only compared to the Nokia 808 footage.

Now I expected the 1520 being better prepared for sophisticated video recordings with high-quality sound because of its four build-in Nokia Rich Recording microphones (the 1020 has only two of them) but your assessment is that 1020 videos are much better than 1520 ones.

Did you take the audio quality also into account or do you refer only to the video (picture) quality with your statement?

giantenemybird

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
giantenemybird,

I owned a 1020 for a while and I had an annoying static tone in all of my video recordings. In general, I was a little bit disappointed with the audio quality in my 1020 videos, i.e. less Stereo width, less dynamics etc - not only compared to the Nokia 808 footage.

Now I expected the 1520 being better prepared for sophisticated video recordings with high-quality sound because of its four build-in Nokia Rich Recording microphones (the 1020 has only two of them) but your assessment is that 1020 videos are much better than 1520 ones.

Did you take the audio quality also into account or do you refer only to the video (picture) quality with your statement?

I didn't seem to have that static tone issue with my 1020. I was very happy with the audio aspect of the recording, but yes, I was mostly talking about the video aspect. The 1520 does pick up a little better audio than the 1020, which like you said, makes sense because of the extra mics. However, I thought the performance of the 1020 was superb as well. I'm a musician, so I'm not completely deaf to these things either :) haha

Tech friend

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
I didn't seem to have that static tone issue with my 1020. I was very happy with the audio aspect of the recording, but yes, I was mostly talking about the video aspect. The 1520 does pick up a little better audio than the 1020, which like you said, makes sense because of the extra mics. However, I thought the performance of the 1020 was superb as well. I'm a musician, so I'm not completely deaf to these things either :) haha
Thank you for your reply, giantenemybird, very much appreciated.

Interestingly, I am a musician too :smile:.

If you are interested in hearing that static tone, please download Steve Litchfield's The Phones Show 206: Lumia 1020 - First look (video, 194 MB, the 1020 part starts around 08'45).

You should be able to hear that tone clearly and easily!

Tech friend

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Neither, wait for MWC in February. We should get a proper cameraphone based on snap 800/805 in a reasonably sized package.

There will always a new Phone. So, don't wait for one.
vlad0 owns a Nokia 808 and as long as it doesn't get broken he can see how things pan out. I think for 808 owners this is the right strategy.

And my situation?

I sold my Nokia N8 in favour of the 1020 and then returned the latter because of too many issues I experienced with it. Now I do need urgently a new good photography smartphone: I mean Christmas is here and there are so many loved ones worth to be photographed in the very best possible quality, so many nice moments are expecting us, Christmas is such a beautiful time - and I still don't know whether I should buy a 1020 again (with improved software) or a 1520 this time.

The 1520 demonstrates that with Nokia Black even with an "only" 20 MP camera you can take some really impressive photos. It's a marvellous device with an excellent build quality. And normally I would think that it should also be capable of recording excellent videos with brilliant sound via its four microphones.

And the 1020? No Nokia Black in 2013 anymore. High risk of getting disappointing indoor photos if Amber is installed and with Xenon Flash active. But then: if the 1520 with its 20 MP cam can produce such great results with Black: what will be possible with the 1020 and Black?

HELP...

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
^ Go with the 1020 again... the black update should fix a lot of the IQ issues :) At least that's how it seems like from the 1520 photos I've seen. Also.. you get RAW support.. then you can really explore..

I would suggest an 808 but.. that's only if you are willing to put up with a few shortcomings. Its is however better than the N8 in every way.. except maybe size and battery life.

vlad0 owns a Nokia 808 and as long as it doesn't get broken he can see how things pan out. I think for 808 owners this is the right strategy.

Yes, there is no reason for me to rush and upgrade to a new phone.. I will wait it out until I see a worthy replacement for my 808.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
There's really no guarantee Black firmware will give the 1020 the same color reproduction of the 1520. Not that the 1520 is perfect either.

Also, just because you take indoor pictures or use the flash doesn't at all mean your pictures have a high risk of turning out poor.

cheesemoo

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
yeah I'm transferring my upgrade to my own plan lol and at this point I dont want to wait cause the USB port to charge the 900 is getting worse every day (worn out).

Thank you all for your opinions I messed with the 1520 again and I think it's the right choice. :D plus my big hands can actually test one handed on it lol

Came to post this thread. I have a 900 that the usb port was wearing too, and mine stopped charging last night. So time to order today. This is my work phone and if I dotn order today I cant get a new phone until after Christmas. I am having a hard time deciding here too. 1020 vs 1520. I have held both. So is the camera really that close? Less memory on the 1520 is the thing that is keeping me from it right now. The 16 gigs on the 900 is the only thing I haven't liked. I hate having to uninstall apps to to get new ones. I don't keep many pictures or videos on it. I am hoping that the 16 gigs plus external storage will be better because of the "fix" for other storage.

brandon261

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
Came to post this thread. I have a 900 that the usb port was wearing too, and mine stopped charging last night. So time to order today. This is my work phone and if I dotn order today I cant get a new phone until after Christmas. I am having a hard time deciding here too. 1020 vs 1520. I have held both. So is the camera really that close? Less memory on the 1520 is the thing that is keeping me from it right now. The 16 gigs on the 900 is the only thing I haven't liked. I hate having to uninstall apps to to get new ones. I don't keep many pictures or videos on it. I am hoping that the 16 gigs plus external storage will be better because of the "fix" for other storage.
I'm sorry to hear I know it sucks when that happens my captivate did it before I switched to WP. Anyways after reading Daniels article yesterday and playing with both phones I would recommend the 1520 over 1020, bit mainly cause I'm not a photo enthusiast. My memory has also held up on the 900 so 16 gigs should hold me over. Plus if you need more memory if you go 1520 use a micro sd for pictures, videos, and songs. Also put in consideration if you go 1020 the size of memory the 41 megapixel pictures will use. Either way it looks like either phone would be a great choice especially when 1020 gets black!

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
yeah I'm transferring my upgrade to my own plan lol and at this point I dont want to wait cause the USB port to charge the 900 is getting worse every day (worn out).
I have a 900 that the usb port was wearing too, and mine stopped charging last night.

Me too! The micro USB port on my Lumia 900 is really flaky now. I'm nursing it along though till upgrade time. I started a thread about it here. Only response I got was a mod telling me their Lumia 900 was fine. Make some noise people. That's the only way for Nokia to know there is a problem. Their employees probably switch phones like underwear and never get to see what happens a year and a half out... I'm guessing.

cheesemoo

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Me too! The micro USB port on my Lumia 900 is really flaky now. I'm nursing it along though till upgrade time. I started a thread about it here. Only response I got was a mod telling me their Lumia 900 was fine. Make some noise people. That's the only way for Nokia to know there is a problem. Their employees probably switch phones like underwear and never get to see what happens a year and a half out... I'm guessing.

Well after two days I was able to get a charge last night. I had to mess with it with three different chargers and finally got one to take. I am nursing it along till my 1520 gets here tomorrow! I still can not get it to sync. I may end up having to skydrive everything that hasnet been backed up. I still think its a shame the port went out. I usually keep my phones for awhile. I am going to miss my cyan phone...

cheesemoo

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
1520 came in. I Love this phone. So far so good. the screen is gorgeous. pictures so far have been very nice. It fits in my pocket. I picked up my old 900 to compare and after using the 1520 for most of the day the 900 feels like the iphone felt after using my 900. tiny and toy like.

brandon261

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
1520 came in. I Love this phone. So far so good. the screen is gorgeous. pictures so far have been very nice. It fits in my pocket. I picked up my old 900 to compare and after using the 1520 for most of the day the 900 feels like the iphone felt after using my 900. tiny and toy like.
that's awesome to hear glad you like the phone! I'm getting mine tomorrow and this day couldn't go any slower :/

krafty11

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I have a 920 personal phone I've had from the beginning (preordered) and a 1520 work phone I've also had since day one. The 920 is great and the 1520 I've had some issues with but after the updates yesterday and a call today to support where they resolved the issues of having no LTE coverage (where the 920 always did) both phones are perfect for their strengths. Having said that (here it comes) I do have two phones, If I didn't, I'd pick the 1020 as a primary phone in a second. I'm on my 1520 6-10 hours a day (replaced an HTC Surround :) ) and it's an awesome phone in any number of aspects but it's usually on my desk via Bluetooth not on my ear or in my pocket and since it's really a two hand phone, I don't know if I could have it as my only phone, as much as I like it. On the other hand after the 1520, the 920 now feels like a child's toy. Rambling now, sorry, in a nutshell prioritize your needs and you can't really go wrong with any of the high end Nokia's, just pick what features are important to you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss