The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
06-06-2016 08:46 AM
279 ... 89101112
tools
    Remember when you were in school and teachers told you not to start reading at the end?
    Wish i ignored them, i just spent quite a bit of time reading this entire thread only to find that the best summary is on the last page. Doh.

I think i may give this a try, my 920 has seen better days and i don't see anything i want in the pipeline.
    I know there is a rm938, but that truly has no warranty support.

I'm aware many of are or were worried about the ATT warranty, but honestly that wouldn't be my concern if you bought the phone from ATT, last time i did a warranty return, they sent me a refurb and i put mine back in the box and sent it back. I seriously doubt they would contact you at a later date to say that they took the phone apart and they see you tried to mod it.
    10-23-2014 06:37 PM
    I have a question about outside fitting.

I bought the charging shell for lumia 925 and want to use the qi-insert. My thought is to remove the coil and its connection and hook it up on the outside on the 1520.
    My question is how should the three pins from the shell be connected to the three in my phone?
    11-05-2014 06:34 AM
    I have a question about outside fitting.

I bought the charging shell for lumia 925 and want to use the qi-insert. My thought is to remove the coil and its connection and hook it up on the outside on the 1520.
    My question is how should the three pins from the shell be connected to the three in my phone?
    Read the thread. It is explained multiple times that you can't do that.
    11-11-2014 03:08 PM
    AWESOME Thread. Been reading it on and off this afternoon for when my 1520 is up and running.

Has anyone been able to find where you can get another PMA Flex Cable? All the back plates indicate that its just the plastic part, no guts.
    11-25-2014 04:23 PM
    Anyone have any issues with the touch screen after putting it back together. I used one of those guitar pick shaped tools and gently removed the phone from the housing, and when I put it back together it powers on fine, screen lights up, but doesn't respond to touch. Any ideas for what I should look for?
    12-04-2014 09:37 AM
    Hello everyone, hopefully someone would have some thoughts on this (SonarTech hopefully still roams around here).

Has anyone ever thought of not using the PMA Flex Cable at all? I ruined one and am considering ordering another one, but I don't know why I can't connect the Qi charging pad directly to the gold contacts at the top? It would be easy to bridge the two together with a little bit of wire and then connect the Qi lead to that.

Thanks,
    12-15-2014 07:39 AM
    Bump any ideas?
    01-01-2015 09:38 AM
    Soldering directly to the spring contacts is permanent, that is, you can't remove the solder and restore the functionality of the springs once they're fowled-up with solder. For that reason alone, I wouldn't recommend it, but if you do go this route, remember to transpose the contacts appropriately, since you're essentially looking at where the flex connects "upside down". I also recommend keeping the PMA holes covered-up with something to avoid contamination entering the phone through the holes.
    01-08-2015 07:23 PM
    Does anyone know of anybody willing to do the charging mod as a service? I bought a green AT&T model, and the lack of wireless charging is just killing me.

Yet, my soldering skills are very rudimentary and there is no way I would be comfortable attempting the modification.

I was hoping to find someone with good experience doing this mod for people (obviously for a fee), but I don't see any... sigh, I just can't curse AT&T enough for lobotomizing this phone.
    01-13-2015 04:52 PM
    Does anyone know of anybody willing to do the charging mod as a service? I bought a green AT&T model, and the lack of wireless charging is just killing me.

Yet, my soldering skills are very rudimentary and there is no way I would be comfortable attempting the modification.

I was hoping to find someone with good experience doing this mod for people (obviously for a fee), but I don't see any... sigh, I just can't curse AT&T enough for lobotomizing this phone.
    Add Qi Charging to Your at T Nokia Lumia 1520 Fix What at T Left Out | eBay

$50 and this user will perform the mod. He has a few good feedback items on the mod and it seems to be reliable and not too expensive.
    02-23-2015 11:05 PM
    I for the life of me can't get any solder to stick to the flex cable. I've been using flux, have the iron plenty hot enough and pre tin the wire and still nothing sticks. WTH! Any tips would be appreciated.
    The linked youttube video is an extraordinary resource for this need
    02-24-2015 02:58 AM
    Add Qi Charging to Your at T Nokia Lumia 1520 Fix What at T Left Out | eBay

$50 and this user will perform the mod. He has a few good feedback items on the mod and it seems to be reliable and not too expensive.
    Two weeks ago, I had my AT&T 1520 modded using the eBayer mentioned in the link. It took about a week to receive the phone back after shipping it off, but now I am able to utilize Qi charging via my Nokia charging plate.

It came back in the same condition that I sent it. No cosmetic damage or anything from him doing the mod.

You will need to pay to ship the phone to him though.
    02-24-2015 04:40 PM
    Two weeks ago, I had my AT&T 1520 modded using the eBayer mentioned in the link. It took about a week to receive the phone back after shipping it off, but now I am able to utilize Qi charging via my Nokia charging plate.

It came back in the same condition that I sent it. No cosmetic damage or anything from him doing the mod.

You will need to pay to ship the phone to him though.
    Can you tell me if you've noticed any issues, especially with the heat discharge.
    02-24-2015 08:04 PM
    There haven't been any issues that I've noticed. Works just as well as the built-in Qi charging I had on my Lumia 928. Just takes longer to charge due to the much larger battery.
    02-24-2015 08:14 PM
    One last question for you before I send it in: does wireless charging work well with a case on? I had the 920, but never used a case on it so don't know how and if Wireless charging works with a case on.
    02-24-2015 09:53 PM
    One last question for you before I send it in: does wireless charging work well with a case on? I had the 920, but never used a case on it so don't know how and if Wireless charging works with a case on.
    I'm actually charging it wirelessly right now with a thicker case on it, working fine. Be aware though, the mod will void your warranty.
    hyedefinition likes this.
    02-24-2015 09:57 PM
    I just got the mod done, and I am having trouble charging. I have an ATT Lumia 1520 (black) running the ATT current release firmware (Denim), and am using a Nokia DT-900 charging pad. I am not using a case of any kind.

How am I supposed to orient the 1520 on the charging pad? I am using a Nokia DT-900 that always worked with my Lumia 920. But the 1520 is much larger, and has the camera lens sticking out. I have tried the phone in several positions, but am not having luck.

When I put the phone on the charging pad, the screen wakes up, I get the sound indicating that the phone is now charging, the battery indicator on the phone shows it charging, and the LED on the charging pad lights up solid. However, after about 60 seconds, the LED on the charging pad starts flashing, and the phone's battery icon shows it is no longer charging.

I can repeat the above over and over and over again. I always starts charging, but then stops after about 60 seconds.

My battery is about 85% full, so it should be charging.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

UPDATE: See my new post below - when I line it up properly it works great!
    Last edited by bsd107; 03-23-2015 at 11:15 AM.
    03-14-2015 01:23 PM
    It works well for me...with DT900. I also have a L920 and now a Lumia 1520, in 3h-3.30h. the phone is charged. Greetings
    03-14-2015 03:22 PM
    I want Qi charging in my next phone for sure.
    03-20-2015 02:22 PM
    Well, I would like to offer you using 3rd Qi Charger. but, it is good enough if you use genuine products instead of 3rd party products.
    03-20-2015 02:53 PM
    To follow up on my question, I was told to line up the 1520 perfectly with the lower end of the charging pad, and it seems to be working fine now. Charges fully.

I have also now tried it on my Nokia vertical charging stand, and it works perfectly on that also.

i am convinced that one of two lumia app updates that happened during this period may have also helped, but that is just speculation.

Between re-adding Qin charging, and adding a 128GB card, I now finally have corrected AT&T's intentional crippling of this phone. Denim is more icing on the cake. Windows 10 will give it an even longer lease on life...
    Last edited by bsd107; 03-23-2015 at 11:16 AM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-21-2015 12:59 AM
    I'm the guy doing the mods on ebay. Just wanted to say that I plan on offering the service as long as I can get parts, if you have questions just send me a message though ebay and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

BTW I place the coil so the phone can work on the flat charger or the stand so the coil ends up being towards the bottom of the phone, here's a pic.

charg.jpg
    03-26-2015 12:40 PM
    FYI, I'm one of the very satisfied client for the conversion

You sir have earned a permanent spot in the sky as a shining star.
    04-05-2015 09:38 PM
    04-19-2015 09:29 AM
    I was thinking of using the Qi circuit board from the 1020 genuine Qi accessory charging shell but I noticed it only has two pins. It sounds like this should perfect with the flex cable in the 1520 as one is positive and the other is negative. I will hook it up same as Lanceloni did as I will be using the international qi coil that comes with the housing
    04-19-2015 09:58 PM
279 ... 89101112