Qi Charging on a LUMIA 1520 AT&T phone (Solution)

DrFate

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
One last question for you before I send it in: does wireless charging work well with a case on? I had the 920, but never used a case on it so don't know how and if Wireless charging works with a case on.

I'm actually charging it wirelessly right now with a thicker case on it, working fine. Be aware though, the mod will void your warranty.

bsd107

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I just got the mod done, and I am having trouble charging. I have an ATT Lumia 1520 (black) running the ATT current release firmware (Denim), and am using a Nokia DT-900 charging pad. I am not using a case of any kind.

How am I supposed to orient the 1520 on the charging pad? I am using a Nokia DT-900 that always worked with my Lumia 920. But the 1520 is much larger, and has the camera lens sticking out. I have tried the phone in several positions, but am not having luck.

When I put the phone on the charging pad, the screen wakes up, I get the sound indicating that the phone is now charging, the battery indicator on the phone shows it charging, and the LED on the charging pad lights up solid. However, after about 60 seconds, the LED on the charging pad starts flashing, and the phone's battery icon shows it is no longer charging.

I can repeat the above over and over and over again. I always starts charging, but then stops after about 60 seconds.

My battery is about 85% full, so it should be charging.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

UPDATE: See my new post below - when I line it up properly it works great!

Last edited:

bsd107

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
To follow up on my question, I was told to line up the 1520 perfectly with the lower end of the charging pad, and it seems to be working fine now. Charges fully.

I have also now tried it on my Nokia vertical charging stand, and it works perfectly on that also.

i am convinced that one of two lumia app updates that happened during this period may have also helped, but that is just speculation.

Between re-adding Qin charging, and adding a 128GB card, I now finally have corrected AT&T's intentional crippling of this phone. Denim is more icing on the cake. Windows 10 will give it an even longer lease on life...

Last edited:

Starfire

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm the guy doing the mods on ebay. Just wanted to say that I plan on offering the service as long as I can get parts, if you have questions just send me a message though ebay and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

BTW I place the coil so the phone can work on the flat charger or the stand so the coil ends up being towards the bottom of the phone, here's a pic.

charg.jpg

Tcat Houser

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
FYI, I'm one of the very satisfied client for the conversion ��

You sir have earned a permanent spot in the sky as a shining star.

sadude69

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking of using the Qi circuit board from the 1020 genuine Qi accessory charging shell but I noticed it only has two pins. It sounds like this should perfect with the flex cable in the 1520 as one is positive and the other is negative. I will hook it up same as Lanceloni did as I will be using the international qi coil that comes with the housing

theboomr

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Hey! I messaged you on eBay a few weeks ago about potentially doing the mod if I sent in the international case to you, but you never got back to me if you'd be able to do it, although I did link you to this thread. Any chance of you being able to do that? If not, I'm trying to recruit my friend to help me out with this, since I'm no good with soldering lol.

John Sevinsky

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
Here's my Qi charging solution. I didn't want to open the 1520, so I took a generic Qi charger (one that plugs into a micro USB jack), cut the USB plug off, stripped the tips of the wires, crossed them, and taped them onto the left & center pins on the back of the phone. (Nothing is attached to the right pin.) It seems to be working OK. I have the phone in a case, so you don't see any of this.

IMG_9550.JPG

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Here's my Qi charging solution. I didn't want to open the 1520, so I took a generic Qi charger (one that plugs into a micro USB jack), cut the USB plug off, stripped the tips of the wires, crossed them, and taped them onto the left & center pins on the back of the phone. (Nothing is attached to the right pin.) It seems to be working OK. I have the phone in a case, so you don't see any of this.

View attachment 105061

So, the orientation of the charging tape is important - you crossed the wires, why not simply flip over the charger (have the print facing in)
I'm intrigued by this simple solution, hope it continues to work, keep us in the loop ... I also have mine in a case, I might (attempt to) solder those wires to the contacts, after it's proven to work!

@SonarTech - I'd love to hear what you have to say, since you seem to be expert @ this - will that work, long term? I know next to nothing about this, but would love to have wireless charging back & THIS, I could do.

John Sevinsky

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
I tried flipping it over, but apparently there's some sort of shield on the back side of the coil, and it didn't work. I did not solder the wires. I just bent the tips down and taped it to the back of the phone.

It gets warm, but not very warm.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I tried flipping it over, but apparently there's some sort of shield on the back side of the coil, and it didn't work. I did not solder the wires. I just bent the tips down and taped it to the back of the phone.

It gets warm, but not very warm.

AFTER re-reading the thread, it appears you need BOTH right & left to initiate charging, but this has NO problems?

What charger are you using?

Borteeo

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
This is brilliant. How did you know that you needed to cross the wires - which one would be positive/negative? Was the adapter for wide-up or narrow-side-up (using terminology I've seen on the Ebay ads :p)

Sonartech

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Will it work long-term? That depends on how fragile the installation is. I would assume double-stick holds the receiver on the back of the phone, so it's probably pretty secure, so my only concern would be the electrical connections. As pictured, this receiver is only connected to (-) and (+), but (SLEEVE_DET) isn't connected, so I'm not sure how John's device is even sensing the charge voltage. In my testing, (SLEEVE_DET) had to be grounded (connected to negative) in order for the PMIC to determine a PMA charging sleeve was attached (and therefore expect a charge voltage through these pins). So, I'm not sure what's going on there, but John says it works. The physical connection to the chrome buttons seems like it might get twitchy since it's only held on with tape, but then again, it's completely removable without any sign of it ever having been there.

Anyway, it's still potentially a decent solution for people not interested in opening their devices, fraking with the PMA flex, soldering in a receiver, etc... Electrically, it's essentially identical, except for the missing connection to SLEEVE_DET which doesn't appear to be a problem for Jim's device (for some reason).

The "shield" on the back of the receiver is a ferrite core/pad used to magnetically couple the receiver coil to the transmitting coil. Ferrite is extremely hard but also very brittle, and it cracks very easily on these thin Qi receiver coils. It's best to avoid cracking it if possible, but small cracks don't appreciably degrade performance. The coils (Tx and Rx) must be facing each other to be properly coupled. A Qi coil that's backwards (i.e. has the ferrite pad in between the two coils) won't couple properly.

SonarTech

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss