Qi Charging on a LUMIA 1520 AT&T phone (Solution)

rezoloot

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
I've bought a couple of 1520 wireless backs and a couple of 920 coils, I'm fairly certain i'll blunder the first, so it gives me two chances to get it right using one or both methods (nickel pen and solder for earth), I'll post pics anyway, a lot more pictures so you can see how easy or hard it is for a novice

And thanks to all for their patience and advice

Rez

Ok.
so you can see the three cases I have, I bought two wireless 1520 backs ?12, two 920 backs wireless and the 1520 has the three pins for charging on the plate RM-940 USA AT&T variant (don't mind the screen or the charger DT-910, they both have protectors so look a bit ragged
WP_20150613_11_34_54_Pro.jpg
all the parts
WP_20150613_11_37_14_Pro.jpg
the 920 wireless charging rates at 6.98 volts on the dt-910
WP_20150613_11_42_42_Pro.jpg
stripping the 1520 wireless back
WP_20150613_11_49_53_Pro.jpg
added the 920 wireless charging unit to to the wireless 1520 back
WP_20150613_11_54_59_Pro.jpg
added the three pin strip
WP_20150613_15_09_48_Pro.jpg
was so eager to get it in, did not take a pic

will add more pics later when the children have gone to bed, I woulw not open it tbh but two thing a, its charging as you can see but I think I've put the coil to low because it just keeps the charge at a steady 88% which it was when I modded it and b, want to show you how have soldered it, you may think its very messy but, the tools Im working with are a bit naf and the solder is the biggest there is, I'll put all pics up later.

Thanks for looking guys and please comment, positive or negative, it all helps me become more proficient at the end of the day.

Regards

Rez

Last edited:

sadude69

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I just wanted to add some additional info. I have a Lumia 1020 wireless charging cover that I took apart yesterday. Here is the piece I am planning on using but I am not sure it will work as it looks nothing like the 925/920 pieces. Can anyone confirm if this is an acceptable equivalent?

The first picture is the Lumia 1020 charging over piece that connects to the 2 external pins of the 1020 device.
WP_20150621_15_05_42_Pro_LI.jpg
Second Image is my international 1520 cover that I plan to mod. I will use the QI coil here and will most likely just acquire the Lumia 925 charging cover at this point
WP_20150621_15_05_49_Pro_LI.jpg

rezoloot

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi sadude69

The only problem I could possibly see is that, there are three plates to connect to, on the 1520 phone (not the wireless shell you have. which has two) and 920/5 has three but there only seems to be two on the 1020 wireless charging unit, Maybe the guys here could say if that is a major problem but to my recollection going through this thread, (page 5 onward) you will probably reach the same conclusion, the 920 I tried mine with was not charging enough either, maybe a faulty unit, my rubbish soldering (OR BOTH) so am trying with a 925 and the 1520's coil with a better way of connecting the plates, will put up pics when done, good luck with your mod and please post when done

Last edited:

rezoloot

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
If you look through the thread you'll find that there is quite a bit more tech than just the coil required to make it a wireless charging phone, quite a bit indeed and tools plus the rock like steady hand

If it makes you feel any better, I thought the same before reading what the intelligent ones had to say

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Why don't ppl just buy a back cover with the coil already in it? They're only $30.

If you look through the thread you'll find that there is quite a bit more tech than just the coil required to make it a wireless charging phone, quite a bit indeed and tools plus the rock like steady hand

If it makes you feel any better, I thought the same before reading what the intelligent ones had to say

I think what he means is the buy the Wireless Charging Covers that are on the market for the AT&T 1520.

On that point, the ones that are on the market are PMA, where this thread is about Qi. These are 2 different and non-compatibale standards for Wireless Charging.

Many people (myself included) bought the 920 and other earlier phones that had Qi built in. Those with the Qi hardware that do not want to buy a case + more hardware are the ones that are interested in this mod. There is no external hardware needed and you can use your existing Qi chargers.

Myself, I still have all of my Qi hardware, but I decided to buy the PMA case and charging plates for my 1520 without doing this hardware hack. Why? I managed to get the case and 2 PMA 2-Device charging pads for $40 on an Amazon deal.

The case is minimal and works well for me.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I think what he means is the buy the Wireless Charging Covers that are on the market for the AT&T 1520.

On that point, the ones that are on the market are PMA, where this thread is about Qi. These are 2 different and non-compatibale standards for Wireless Charging.

Many people (myself included) bought the 920 and other earlier phones that had Qi built in. Those with the Qi hardware that do not want to buy a case + more hardware are the ones that are interested in this mod. There is no external hardware needed and you can use your existing Qi chargers.

Myself, I still have all of my Qi hardware, but I decided to buy the PMA case and charging plates for my 1520 without doing this hardware hack. Why? I managed to get the case and 2 PMA 2-Device charging pads for $40 on an Amazon deal.

The case is minimal and works well for me.
Thx, tthat'sa good deal. I think iI'llgo that route and upgrade all my other gadgets.

Liam Wong

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone experienced slow charging after using this mod? It took about 5 hours to charge from 46% to 100% yesterday night, so around 11% per hour. Back when my RM-938 1520 was still alive, it was around 25% per hour. When I measured the voltage of the coil, it read ~7 volts (shouldn't it be more like 12?). I'm using the Lumia 920 coil btw. Thoughts?

edit: I read a few pages back and 7v is correct.

Last edited:

br3nd0

May 27, 2015
Visit site
Question - and apologies if this has already been answered in the previous 11 pages.... I'm a massive fan of the 1520 and I have a Black RM-937 international HK version with wireless charging inside the back housing.

I really want to get a green shell on this bad boy, but the green one thatOriginal Parts Mobile sell is the RM-940 version.

Can I simply strip the green RM-940 one back to plastic shell and 'transplant' all the parts from the black RM-937 housing over to the green one?

Steve Russell3

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
I have thought of something similar myself . I knew it works work because I have taken a bench adjustable power source and put 3v to the exposed small metal contacts on the back of the case and got it to take a charge. I am sure ATT intended to sell a case to snap on the back , just another way to suck more money out of people . They did the same with the LG G3 and after much effort finally got a PMA back. After getting the back ATT knocked the charging back out with Lollipop. Without ever admitting any wrong they sneaked in an update that fixed the issue. The whole mess is ATT trying to push PMA charging which I am sure they have a vested interest in . Both systems work well a but QI charges at a greater distance and is cheaper . Not on is att pushing PMA but screwing up phones advertised with QI charging. This wireless charger you have in the photo certainly looks PMA , I have not seen a QI like this before. Thanks for your time and efforts in trying ti rite someone else's wrong (ATT) !

Steve Russell3

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
Thx, tthat'sa good deal. I think iI'llgo that route and upgrade all my other gadgets.

Yes indeed they are different. I thought a few years back the phone companies came to an agreement that QI would be the standard. Strange how ATT insists on trying to push PMA . Got to have something to do with money . Both are good , qi works at a greater distance !

Steve Russell3

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
Hi sadude69

The only problem I could possibly see is that, there are three plates to connect to, on the 1520 phone (not the wireless shell you have. which has two) and 920/5 has three but there only seems to be two on the 1020 wireless charging unit, Maybe the guys here could say if that is a major problem but to my recollection going through this thread, (page 5 onward) you will probably reach the same conclusion, the 920 I tried mine with was not charging enough either, maybe a faulty unit, my rubbish soldering (OR BOTH) so am trying with a 925 and the 1520's coil with a better way of connecting the plates, will put up pics when done, good luck with your mod and please post when done

That third connection has me bothered too rezoloot. I saw where someone had shorted it to the -negative.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Anyone still offering a service to mod an ATT version with Qi? Seems all the Unicorns have gone back to their magical kingdom.....
Sent From my SP3i3

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I think some of the needed components are getting scarce. I just got a 1520 and I have a 925 back. I will probably leave it alone though because I am getting crazy battery life 1% per hour on standby.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Disappointing to hear, though I do have a 1020 charging case, not sure if that would work. Would still need someone to do the mod for me though if it was suitable. Only reason I sold my 1520.3 was the scroll tap bug, should have just eaten the cost of getting a new screen from Palco.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss