12-16-2013 02:47 AM
56 123
tools
    Lets get back to feeling old. I remember when I had to type out keypunch cards to program a computer (anyone remember Fortran and Cobol?) My first home computer was a commodore 128.
    You were modern; my first home computer was a Commodore 64.
    12-14-2013 08:11 PM
    LOL.....For a second I thought you were going to say a Commodore PET. When you look back at the level of technology back then it is truly amazing what today's smart phones can do.
    Greywolf1967 likes this.
    12-14-2013 08:20 PM
    Haha you guys feel old and I feel like a baby haha. Because I have no idea half the stuff you're talking about haha.

I am the first to admit though that I have no idea how to fix or repair my computer lol. In fact my laptop is giving me issues now and I still have no idea what to do.

Which is funny because my mother and other older family me members treat me like I'm some tech genius....im like no....its called reading the manual.

Or...its called googling the issue haha.

One thing about me is though I love to learn to do things and if I can watch someone do it, I will pick it up instantly with no problem.
    12-14-2013 08:32 PM
    Man you lucky folk !!!! I remember the Christmas I got my Commodore Vic 20.......3 hours or so, to put in the program in basic, that would display 3 shades of color on a picture of a Christmas tree and played 6 Christmas tunes. I didn't get the tape drive until my birthday. What a joy tape drive was LOL
    Old_Cus likes this.
    12-14-2013 08:40 PM
    LOL.....For a second I thought you were going to say a Commodore PET. When you look back at the level of technology back then it is truly amazing what today's smart phones can do.
    Ha ha no, I'm not THAT old! I do have you beat, but only by a step.

I bought the Commodore 64 used, back in 1988 or 1989. I had a lot of fun with it. It had some pretty cool games, at least for the time. I'm sure we'd laugh at the graphics now!

I still have it boxed up. It's fully functional, at least it was the last time I used it, which was probably at least 10 years ago. I was kinda hoping that a working setup would become valuable, but so far it hasn't. It's in a plastic crate, so I'm hoping it keeps for a long time yet.
    Laura Knotek, Old_Cus and Reflexx like this.
    12-14-2013 08:42 PM
    My first computer looked like this:

ibmpcjr2.jpeg

I was born in 1983. I remember buying the first regular nintendo with the orange duck hunt gun. I was a baby and started young lol
    12-14-2013 09:28 PM
    Well my Lumia also asks for my location in some apps not needing of my location
    12-14-2013 09:34 PM
    Well my Lumia also asks for my location in some apps not needing of my location
    Do those apps have Live Tiles? Live Tiles will not update unless there is a data connection (cellular or WiFi). http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...might-not.html
    12-14-2013 09:37 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ibmpcjr2.jpeg 
Views:	75 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	51970

I was born in 1983. I remember buying the first regular nintendo with the orange duck hunt gun. I was a baby and started young lol

well i still have to console and i feel like shooting that dog more than the ducks

Sent from my Uuusumm Lumia 520 using Tapatalk
    12-14-2013 10:10 PM
    That isn't just a Google thing though. Technology in general is like that. People have to make the decision, convenience or privacy.

I'm not actually sure Microsoft doesn't collect location data just the way Google does. I'm no Google fan (far from it) but at least Google lets you view and delete your location history online and you can always just turn it off altogether (just like the targeted ads that everyone's complaining about, btw.). You can even get rid of the email scanning thing by upgrading to a paid Google apps for businesses account.

Sent from my RM-937_eu_euro2_936 using Tapatalk
    12-14-2013 11:27 PM
    Ha ha no, I'm not THAT old! I do have you beat, but only by a step.

I bought the Commodore 64 used, back in 1988 or 1989. I had a lot of fun with it. It had some pretty cool games, at least for the time. I'm sure we'd laugh at the graphics now!

I still have it boxed up. It's fully functional, at least it was the last time I used it, which was probably at least 10 years ago. I was kinda hoping that a working setup would become valuable, but so far it hasn't. It's in a plastic crate, so I'm hoping it keeps for a long time yet.

I just bought a used C64 for some retro-gaming action and absolutely love it!

Sent from my RM-937_eu_euro2_936 using Tapatalk
    Laura Knotek and tgp like this.
    12-14-2013 11:29 PM

TRS80 and TI-99 4A were the machines I learned on at school.

First home computer was the Commodore 64, though a friend had the Vic-20.
    Laura Knotek and Old_Cus like this.
    12-15-2013 01:15 AM
    I am from the 70s...which means I am old, and will be very old when my 3.5 year old will turn 18:-)

I did learn COBOL, FORTRAN and even BASIC just about the time I became a teenager. I did quit programming back in 1988 though decided that staring a screen and writing code for a living was not for me. Now I just stare at a screen for a major part of my day - no coding though. My first computer was a ZX Spectrum, followed by a BBC Micro followed by a PC...had Apple in college but for some reason never drank the Cool Aid....

Anyway nice story, made me smile.
    12-15-2013 01:15 AM
    It takes all kinds and I'm certainly feeling my age this morning (born in 1956). I remember the large main frame computers of the past. My first cell phone was a bag phone (remember them?). I've always loved technology and will try to stay as current as I can. Micah your mother sounds just like my wife except she rocks a lumia 920. Great story.
    Were those the phones that looked like you were basically carrying around a laptop bag with you?
    12-15-2013 01:19 AM
    I am from the 70s...which means I am old, and will be very old when my 3.5 year old will turn 18:-)

I did learn COBOL, FORTRAN and even BASIC just about the time I became a teenager. I did quit programming back in 1988 though decided that staring a screen and writing code for a living was not for me. Now I just stare at a screen for a major part of my day - no coding though. My first computer was a ZX Spectrum, followed by a BBC Micro followed by a PC...had Apple in college but for some reason never drank the Cool Aid....

Anyway nice story, made me smile.
    I never heard of the ZX Spectrum or BBC Micro.
    Himanshu Chowdhary likes this.
    12-15-2013 01:25 AM
    TRS80 and TI-99 4A were the machines I learned on at school.

First home computer was the Commodore 64, though a friend had the Vic-20.
    TRS80 is what was at my school too. My cousin had a Commodore 64, which I thought was awesome at the time.
    Himanshu Chowdhary likes this.
    12-15-2013 01:26 AM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ibmpcjr2.jpeg 
Views:	75 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	51970

That reminds me that all of these "PCs" used to be called IBM Clones because they were just computers that were made to be compatible with software written for IBM computers.
    12-15-2013 01:28 AM
    This thread has got me all nostalgic lol... Im a mid 80s boy but as a result of an older brother and a family determined to buy the previous generation of hardware, my first comp was a commodore 64 (with its mahoosive floppys lol). I distinctly remember using this from a very early age... And the little notebook we had full of run commands... We got all posh in the very early 90s and got an amiga 1200. I think that amiga may be one of my favourite pieces of hardware ever... I destroyed the original settlers on that. An a football management game from about 92/93 (it had Ian rush as a player)... Oh, and zool! Ah the nostalgia...
    12-15-2013 01:40 AM
    Why does a Flashlight app need access to my contacts?
    Made me lol
    Nogitsune Micah likes this.
    12-15-2013 01:45 AM
    Made me lol
    haha I'm glad :)
    12-15-2013 02:08 AM
    That's how software works. Software tries to save historical data. For example, your browser history and search history are saved. Imagine that all browsers had no history. You would not be able to go back to your webpage if you have trouble remembering it. Also, many GPS devices will save your recent locations. This is for convenience so that you do not have to slowly retype the address.

I just got a Nokia 521, my first smartphone. There are like 10 different checkboxes as different settings for sharing data with Microsoft, Bing, and Nokia. Some of those checkboxes are enabled by default.
    12-15-2013 03:33 AM
    Hmmmm....
    Engaging thoughts there kevm14.

Makes me wonder how many youngsters here are PC\Mac fluent.
    Are most who are riding the mobile wave not able to fix, repair or dig thru a PC's file system to wipe a system malware bug or find problems.
    Is everyone now days just smart because of smart mobile devices?
    I used to be somewhat Mac fluent in the 90s, but not these days.

I liken this situation to cars. Today, we have all kinds of features like traction control, stability control, self parking, lane change avoidance, active cruise control, etc. The general American public already can't drive very well (it's our own fault, we don't force them to), and now with the comfort of all this technology, we'll be breeding folks who are even LESS capable at the wheel. Which is, ironically, a safety issue when you arrive at a situation the technology cannot help you with (or it fails). Not sure what the solution is...many people call this progress but I'm not sure.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-15-2013 06:28 AM
    Search for ZX Spectrum, and you will see some pretty cool setups. It was the original Raspberry Pi! You hook it up to a TV ad instead of an SD card you used audio cassette tapes for memory and saving your programs! BBC Micro was a computer developed in the UK. Being originally from outside the US has is quirks....
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-15-2013 08:33 AM
    I never heard of the ZX Spectrum or BBC Micro.
    Both of those were built and sold in the UK. That's right, the UK once had a computer industry and the ARM processor that we all use in our phones and tablets today was developed in the UK by Acorn, the guys behind the Atom and the BBC Micro. I remember the BBC Micro from primary school, the BBC Doomsday Project used them.

If you want to find out more then see if you can find the TV program Micro Men.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-15-2013 08:55 AM
    I hope you find this story and my mom's reaction as amusing as I did ...

Mom: [-snip-] Why does a Flashlight app need access to my contacts?
    Assuming that Brightest Flashlight Free by Goldenshores Technologies is meant (the Android app that has been downloaded more than fifty million times from Google's Play-Store and that has shared IMEI, users' location and other personal information without consumers knowledge and consumers' consent):

From my point of view that kind of unwanted data transmission and data analysis has reached a criminal extent in some cases.

In so far and with regard to Micah's thread title (... 'funny story'): It's a serious story, albeit told funnily.
    12-15-2013 09:06 AM
56 123