Should've Brought a Lumia(Funny Story)

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I hope you find this story and my mom's reaction as amusing as I did when she discovered Google knows more about her than she realizes...

First and Foremost, my little brother traded his phone in to get a Lumia 1520. He had an LG smartphone but he liked my phone a lot and decided to copy me(The Loser :p)
So i am happy to see someone else with a Lumia, though he wanted Red...I forced him to get Yellow because I refuse to have the same color as he is :D

But here is a Funny Story...Microsoft needs to use this in their scroogled campaign.

My mom, Brother and I were driving home from the store and she was a little lost. Here is what Follows

Mom: Micah, does my GPS work?

Micah: How would I know? It is your phone after all.

Mom: Well, I know that it is always asking me for my Location and stuff.

Micah: Yes, Mom..that is how GPS works. It needs your location so it knows where you are so it can guide you.

Mom: I don't like that.

Riley: It's technology mom. Get with the times.

*Few Minutes Later*

Mom: Oh my God.

Riley: What?

Mom: I just got this phone 3 weeks ago. When Micah got his Lumia.

Micah: Okay?

Mom: So how is the address from your Aunt's house in my phone?

Riley: Didn't you go see her like way last year sometime? Like after thanksgiving 2012.

Mom: Exactly.

Micah: You've been using Android for like 2 years now. It probably just saves all your address under your google account.

Mom: I don't like that. This is a new phone.

Micah: It's Google.

Mom: So it saves all my information like that without me knowing?

Micah: Yep.

Mom: So how do I get away from that? I don't like it having all my data like that. I hate the permissions it also asks for when I download apps? Why does a Flashlight app need access to my contacts?

Riley: You're being Paranoid mom. It's how Google Works.

Mom: Well, I want to be away from them.

Micah: Can I give you an honest answer?

Mom: Of course.

Micah: Should've brought a Lumia......

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
That isn't just a Google thing though. Technology in general is like that. People have to make the decision, convenience or privacy.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
That isn't just a Google thing though. Technology in general is like that. People have to make the decision, convenience or privacy.

Oh no I am aware of that. But for people like you and I and a lot of WPcentral(and other OS fans), we more or less know about stuff like this.
For someone like the average joe like my mom who has a smartphone just to be "relevant", it often surprises them when they discover stuff like this.

Somehow this sounds like fiction. No offence.

I am not sure how this sounds Fictional :p I have no reason to make up a story haha,
It's common for people in my mom's age group(she was born in the 70s) who are not used to technology like I am at 18 to react in a way when she discovers that her phone knows more about her than she realized :p

This is the same woman who
1. Thought someone hacked her FB account because she was logged in on FB and she was on some site and saw a thumbnail of her picture and thought someone was pretending to be her lol

2. Refers to Google Now as Siri

haha. But i just wanted to share my mother's moment when she was flabbergasted about the fact that her phone had an address she visited a year ago still logged on :p

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I am not sure how this sounds Fictional :p I have no reason to make up a story haha,
It's common for people in my mom's age group(she was born in the 70s) who are not used to technology like I am at 18 to react in a way when she discovers that her phone knows more about her than she realized :p

Oh man, you just made a bunch of us feel old.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I mean... To be fair, there are some WP apps that require unnecessary information. But I agree, Google goes too far with that stuff.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Too right, I was born in the 60s. IMHO , its the teenagers that have no idea how to use tech these days. They just expect it to work and moan like hell when it doesn't.
My mom is ccodependent on my brother and me lol.

I love her dearly. I told her that she needs to learn to do this stuff on her own because eventually we won't always be there haha.

Her excuse is...why learn. I'm sure someone will be around to show me lol.

DBZo07

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Android saves everything in google without knowing?
Untrue, i choose Microsoft account to handle my contact and calender..
Why flash app needs contact permission is very smart check, i block all the intrusive permission via app setting..
Location request is asked on every phones...
You have smart mom..

Sent via tapatalk

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Too right, I was born in the 60s. IMHO , its the teenagers that have no idea how to use tech these days. They just expect it to work and moan like hell when it doesn't.

I think that depends on the person, my dad was born in the late 40s and he has trouble with technology, he finds Windows Phone surprisingly easy to use and Android incredibly hard to use, my mum was born in the early 50s yet she's tech savvy compared to my dad and uses Android instead although I'm trying to change that ;)

I do agree that teenagers are the ones that tend to have no idea how to use technology these days and expect it to just work, I think that's a side effect of Apple though.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
It takes all kinds and I'm certainly feeling my age this morning (born in 1956). I remember the large main frame computers of the past. My first cell phone was a bag phone (remember them?). I've always loved technology and will try to stay as current as I can. Micah your mother sounds just like my wife except she rocks a lumia 920. Great story.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty sure "I" or "me" if you will...have most of you beat talking about age here.
Always needing to remind myself of who I'm most likely hanging out with on these here techster forums.
:cool:

@OP
Funny entertaining dialog there kiddo!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss