Should've Brought a Lumia(Funny Story)

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Too right, I was born in the 60s. IMHO , its the teenagers that have no idea how to use tech these days. They just expect it to work and moan like hell when it doesn't.

I'm 32 and I agree. If you weren't around for personal computing's and the internet's coming of age in the 90s, you really didn't get to learn the skills (and patience) needed to fix something. By the way, there was no youtube and search was in its infancy (you couldn't be lazy with your queries), so you really had to piece together a solution. In doing so, you learned a LOT more, which would be useful at a later time. Today, it seems like the task is to type a few words into Google and be done with it. So yeah, this thread makes me feel old, too.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm 32 and I agree. If you weren't around for personal computing's and the internet's coming of age in the 90s, you really didn't get to learn the skills (and patience) needed to fix something. By the way, there was no YouTube and search was in its infancy (you couldn't be lazy with your queries), so you really had to piece together a solution. In doing so, you learned a LOT more, which would be useful at a later time. Today, it seems like the task is to type a few words into Google and be done with it. So yeah, this thread makes me feel old, too.

Hmmmm....
Engaging thoughts there kevm14.

Makes me wonder how many youngsters here are PC\Mac fluent.
Are most who are riding the mobile wave not able to fix, repair or dig thru a PC's file system to wipe a system malware bug or find problems.
Is everyone now days just smart because of smart mobile devices?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Hmmmm....
Engaging thoughts there kevm14.

Makes me wonder how many youngsters here are PC\Mac fluent.
Are most who are riding the mobile wave not able to fix, repair or dig thru a PC's file system to wipe a system malware bug or find problems.
Is everyone now days just smart because of smart mobile devices?

I think it all depends on persons' interests more than their ages.

I belong to 2 local Linux User Groups. Members' ages range from teens to 60s. All of the group members are adept at using the CLI.

Tech enthusiasts will always be that way. However, the "average Joe/average Jane" who just uses computers/tablets/smartphones but doesn't have any special interest in those devices won't be as adept at troubleshooting, no matter their age.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Lets get back to feeling old. I remember when I had to type out keypunch cards to program a computer (anyone remember Fortran and Cobol?) My first home computer was a commodore 128.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Well I shall join in as being a product of the 60's who remembers watching Armstrong walk on the moon. On an old RCA black and white floor model ( had it's own legs, and made weird sounds when warming up. Yep like a car in winter you used to warm up a TV to watch a show).

The weird thing I find is older people like my parents, who in their 70's started to learn email and internet, dive into new tech and always blown away by what it all can do. Yet my sister who is around my age, has an Android phone, a lap top but has no idea what they can do. Now once inside she can use excel, and word better then I could ever dream of. She does not want to use data on her phone, as she said....I do not want the phone company knowing what I look at.

My Father ( who passed last year at 85 ), always said he loved to see me come home at Christmas as he would get his update on the newest of tech. It really would blow him away to see, in my hand was a phone, a telegraph ( sms ), a TV, a Radio, maps of the world with a voice that says turn here, games of all kinds.

He was never worried that his data was tracked, he was just trying his best to understand all the great information and uses of a tiny thing he could hold in his hand and touch for answers.

I think it's the era your from that will mainly inform your feeling on tech. I think it is also you are drawn to it and understand it, or you accept it and try not to use it much....techy's vs non techy's

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Lets get back to feeling old. I remember when I had to type out keypunch cards to program a computer (anyone remember Fortran and Cobol?) My first home computer was a commodore 128.

You were modern; my first home computer was a Commodore 64.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

LOL.....For a second I thought you were going to say a Commodore PET. When you look back at the level of technology back then it is truly amazing what today's smart phones can do.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Haha you guys feel old and I feel like a baby haha. Because I have no idea half the stuff you're talking about haha.

I am the first to admit though that I have no idea how to fix or repair my computer lol. In fact my laptop is giving me issues now and I still have no idea what to do.

Which is funny because my mother and other older family me members treat me like I'm some tech genius....im like no....its called reading the manual.

Or...its called googling the issue haha.

One thing about me is though I love to learn to do things and if I can watch someone do it, I will pick it up instantly with no problem.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

Man you lucky folk !!!! I remember the Christmas I got my Commodore Vic 20.......3 hours or so, to put in the program in basic, that would display 3 shades of color on a picture of a Christmas tree and played 6 Christmas tunes. I didn't get the tape drive until my birthday. What a joy tape drive was LOL

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
LOL.....For a second I thought you were going to say a Commodore PET. When you look back at the level of technology back then it is truly amazing what today's smart phones can do.

Ha ha no, I'm not THAT old! I do have you beat, but only by a step.

I bought the Commodore 64 used, back in 1988 or 1989. I had a lot of fun with it. It had some pretty cool games, at least for the time. I'm sure we'd laugh at the graphics now!

I still have it boxed up. It's fully functional, at least it was the last time I used it, which was probably at least 10 years ago. I was kinda hoping that a working setup would become valuable, but so far it hasn't. It's in a plastic crate, so I'm hoping it keeps for a long time yet.

TravelBro

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
My first computer looked like this:

ibmpcjr2.jpeg

I was born in 1983. I remember buying the first regular nintendo with the orange duck hunt gun. I was a baby and started young lol

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
That isn't just a Google thing though. Technology in general is like that. People have to make the decision, convenience or privacy.

I'm not actually sure Microsoft doesn't collect location data just the way Google does. I'm no Google fan (far from it) but at least Google lets you view and delete your location history online and you can always just turn it off altogether (just like the targeted ads that everyone's complaining about, btw.). You can even get rid of the email scanning thing by upgrading to a paid Google apps for businesses account.

Sent from my RM-937_eu_euro2_936 using Tapatalk

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Ha ha no, I'm not THAT old! I do have you beat, but only by a step.

I bought the Commodore 64 used, back in 1988 or 1989. I had a lot of fun with it. It had some pretty cool games, at least for the time. I'm sure we'd laugh at the graphics now!

I still have it boxed up. It's fully functional, at least it was the last time I used it, which was probably at least 10 years ago. I was kinda hoping that a working setup would become valuable, but so far it hasn't. It's in a plastic crate, so I'm hoping it keeps for a long time yet.

I just bought a used C64 for some retro-gaming action and absolutely love it!

Sent from my RM-937_eu_euro2_936 using Tapatalk

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

TRS80 and TI-99 4A were the machines I learned on at school.

First home computer was the Commodore 64, though a friend had the Vic-20.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I am from the 70s...which means I am old, and will be very old when my 3.5 year old will turn 18:)

I did learn COBOL, FORTRAN and even BASIC just about the time I became a teenager. I did quit programming back in 1988 though decided that staring a screen and writing code for a living was not for me. Now I just stare at a screen for a major part of my day - no coding though. My first computer was a ZX Spectrum, followed by a BBC Micro followed by a PC...had Apple in college but for some reason never drank the Cool Aid....

Anyway nice story, made me smile.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
It takes all kinds and I'm certainly feeling my age this morning (born in 1956). I remember the large main frame computers of the past. My first cell phone was a bag phone (remember them?). I've always loved technology and will try to stay as current as I can. Micah your mother sounds just like my wife except she rocks a lumia 920. Great story.

Were those the phones that looked like you were basically carrying around a laptop bag with you?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I am from the 70s...which means I am old, and will be very old when my 3.5 year old will turn 18:)

I did learn COBOL, FORTRAN and even BASIC just about the time I became a teenager. I did quit programming back in 1988 though decided that staring a screen and writing code for a living was not for me. Now I just stare at a screen for a major part of my day - no coding though. My first computer was a ZX Spectrum, followed by a BBC Micro followed by a PC...had Apple in college but for some reason never drank the Cool Aid....

Anyway nice story, made me smile.
I never heard of the ZX Spectrum or BBC Micro.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077