The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
01-06-2016 01:47 PM
43 12
tools
    My problem was a problem with my Gmail account. I stopped the email sync and battery improved
    05-29-2014 10:42 PM
    I bought my Lumia in the first week of Jan 2014. It worked well for the first 6-7 weeks. However, towards the beginning of March, I noticed heavy battery drain and the phone was heating up like crazy (it was getting so hot that I couldn't even carry it in my jeans/trouser pockets!). Even when the phone was left untouched, it was draining 7-9% per hour ! For the life of me, I couldn't figure out why. When I took it to an authorized Nokia center (here in London), the guy was going on & on about how I had so many email accounts (5 Gmail + 1 Outlook.com account), FB, Twitter, Instagram, etc. and he told me that I shouldn't be surprised about the battery drain. I told him the phone had worked well for the first couple of months, but that fell on deaf ears. He basically thought I was some dumb dude who didn't get even the 'T' in technology ! What a bozo.

Exasperated, I turned to online forums (again). In one of them (not able to find the link to that article now), someone (bless his/her soul) suggested that the drain may not be because of GMAIL sync (remember, I have 5 GMAIL accounts and no problems initially) but in particular, it was Google Calendar. That user suggested to change the sync server for Google Calendar from the default "apidata.googleusercontent.com" to just "www.google.com". I did that last week, and voila, my battery life is now back to what it was when I got the phone i.e. the battery drain of is just 1-2% per hour on idle which I'm more than happy with.

Hope this helps.
    constantinosmi and malberto like this.
    06-02-2014 11:18 AM
    Massive battery yet a massive screen that eats it up like hot cakes. I guess we have to live with it unless official 8.1 fixes something.
    It's not the screen, my battery life before the 8.1 dev preview was amazing (I could go 2 days without charging, depending on my usage during the day). With the 8.1 dev preview I'm almost at that point again. Battery life dropped significantly after I updated. Then I did a hard reset and it was ok. The update a few weeks ago brought it to almost what I was getting with 8.0 and hopefully today's update will make it even better.
    Last edited by Dos101; 06-02-2014 at 03:27 PM. Reason: spelling
    06-02-2014 03:26 PM
    It's early, but the battery issues may be solved. My battery indicator has moved just 4% in an hour & a half, while playing Binary Blocks (normally a major battery consumer).

We'll see tomorrow, with a FULL charge & in the OFFICE (NO WiFi).
    06-02-2014 04:07 PM
    The only time i have experienced battery drain is when kids use kids corner and I come back to my screen. I have to restart to get to normal
    06-03-2014 02:03 AM
    its the same issu whith me,even when whatsapp came back after pulling it from the store,thy didnt fix this
    06-03-2014 03:45 AM
    My GF's 1520 has been draining fast after we updated to 8.1. A couple of days ago I went in and changed Gmail settings. I changed the sync frequency from "Learn as I go" to hourly, and unchecked calendar (she uses the MS calendar). Today at 2 PM she had 95%. It seems very impressive so far.
    06-03-2014 02:51 PM
    I have the same problem, ever since i upgraded to 8.1 Preview, there's a leak of battery and a lot of heat, specially in the backside by the camara sensor, sometime the camera application pop up without my command. all i can do is turn off and on again my mobile (Reboot), this seems to work. but im pretty sure it because of the WP 8.1 Preview for Developers.
    06-03-2014 03:05 PM
    I had a massive drain and heat problem with my 1520 UK after changing region to us and having Cortana enabled, To remedy it I changed region and language back to UK and lost Cortana, But battery is back to normal with no excessive heat.

An unfortunate trade off in my case but my 920 works fine with US settings and Cortana so I haven't lost out entirely.

I only hope Nokia Cyan firmware remedies this.
    06-03-2014 03:19 PM
    mine is revision 6
    07-03-2014 12:07 AM
    Sorry...this isn't 1998...you don't need to do that.
    You still do. The system needs to know maximum and minimum battery, so it can scale this accordingly.
    Don't drain it until it dies though. About 20% left should be enough. A couple of runs of this and battery should improve within a week....
    07-03-2014 12:58 AM
    I recently posted on 1520 forums that the facebook messenger app takes an astonishing -10% per hour using a battery sense app.

recently I discovered after complete reinstall, if you go to people hub and select from some account to all ( facebook was turned off) this increased the battery to -15% per hour from what was before .9%

heat increased by the camera etc like it was in a loop!

I have got 30 apps running in background and still showing .9% showing that issues mainly is the facebook app

in essence 5 days working time to 10 hours tops!

anyone suggest anything?
    Tom Snyder likes this.
    07-03-2014 07:49 AM
    I downgraded to 8.0, Facebook chat is in app not normal chat, the phone is cooler, battery life returned to normal. Must be fb app is 8 not 8.1!
    07-04-2014 05:31 PM
    Hello,

I just got the green Lumia 1520 with Windows Phone 8.1 preloaded. It drains about 2-3% per hour and well I am somewhat nervous. Owning Lumias before....coming from the 1020...I am worried that I will soon get that dreaded 8% to 14% drain per hour when the phone is idle.

How is everyone doing with the 8.1 Phone update? Drain any better? Are you able to figure out which apps are the culprits? Looks like FB Messenger is one from reading above (thankfully I do not use that).
    08-12-2014 05:04 PM
    Whenever by standby battery drain is not flat...i use the "Battery" app, i restart the phone. Usually thats about every two days, sometimes more often.
    08-12-2014 06:47 PM
    Had rapid battery drain for two days, but discovered the culprit yesterday. Yahoo Mail decided to stop syncing but kept trying anyway. Deleted the account then just added it again from scratch. Fixed the problem immediately and battery is back to normal.

Always check to see that your email accounts are syncing normally if you experience sudden battery drain, in addition to the regular check of background apps in Battery Saver.
    Tom Snyder likes this.
    08-13-2014 12:28 PM
    It happened just after I upgraded to 8.1 anyways I use UC browser, uses less resources. Quit IE. Secondly install Battery Saver App and track unwanted program running behind. This helps.
    07-12-2015 10:19 AM
    for now the only solution to the problem is to change the battery, I personally did all kinds of tests and that's the only solution.

remove the old battery when this average less than 2.4 v. it should be noted that when the clearing had more than 80% load. My problem was later upgraded to 8.1
    01-06-2016 01:47 PM
43 12