Anyone experiencing fast battery drain on their 1520?

Noob1ee

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I've experienced this the last two nights too, exactly as you described. Am running the updated 8.1 preview on my 1520. Nothing has changed, no new apps. I've disabled Cortana, will see if that makes any difference tonight.

I am running the updated 8.1 preview as well. I didn't take the chance last night so I left my phone charging overnight. Let me know how it turned out for you last night.

erfanullah

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
What is your hardware revision number? I had battery drain + overheating issues my new L1520 hardware rev. number 4 on both wp 8 and 8.1. I had to request a replacement because the camera had a defective mark on pics and videos. The replacement I got is hardware rev. number 5 and it has no battery drain and overheating issues.

CrackFachry

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
My 1520 got extremely hot this morning from just sitting on my desk. Check the battery and found out it went from 90%-45% in 2 hours.
I've had this problem several times already (3-4) after installing the Wp8.1.
Checked Battery Sense and I don't think I find the draining battery app since It shows Internet Explorer as the main battery eater, when I didn't leave any app open 2 hours prior to the overheating.

Turning it off and turn it back on solve the problem. But I'm worry that this overheating problem might come back.
I did Factory Reset once when I updated to 8.1. Not sure what causing the problem. Could be some rouge apps or the OS.

vampirevaz

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Massive battery yet a massive screen that eats it up like hot cakes. I guess we have to live with it unless official 8.1 fixes something.

TheManInUrMirror

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I bought my Lumia in the first week of Jan 2014. It worked well for the first 6-7 weeks. However, towards the beginning of March, I noticed heavy battery drain and the phone was heating up like crazy (it was getting so hot that I couldn't even carry it in my jeans/trouser pockets!). Even when the phone was left untouched, it was draining 7-9% per hour ! For the life of me, I couldn't figure out why. When I took it to an authorized Nokia center (here in London), the guy was going on & on about how I had so many email accounts (5 Gmail + 1 Outlook.com account), FB, Twitter, Instagram, etc. and he told me that I shouldn't be surprised about the battery drain. I told him the phone had worked well for the first couple of months, but that fell on deaf ears. He basically thought I was some dumb dude who didn't get even the 'T' in technology ! What a bozo.

Exasperated, I turned to online forums (again). In one of them (not able to find the link to that article now), someone (bless his/her soul) suggested that the drain may not be because of GMAIL sync (remember, I have 5 GMAIL accounts and no problems initially) but in particular, it was Google Calendar. That user suggested to change the sync server for Google Calendar from the default "apidata.googleusercontent.com" to just "www.google.com". I did that last week, and voila, my battery life is now back to what it was when I got the phone i.e. the battery drain of is just 1-2% per hour on idle which I'm more than happy with.

Hope this helps. :smile:

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Massive battery yet a massive screen that eats it up like hot cakes. I guess we have to live with it unless official 8.1 fixes something.

It's not the screen, my battery life before the 8.1 dev preview was amazing (I could go 2 days without charging, depending on my usage during the day). With the 8.1 dev preview I'm almost at that point again. Battery life dropped significantly after I updated. Then I did a hard reset and it was ok. The update a few weeks ago brought it to almost what I was getting with 8.0 and hopefully today's update will make it even better.

Last edited:

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
It's early, but the battery issues may be solved. My battery indicator has moved just 4% in an hour & a half, while playing Binary Blocks (normally a major battery consumer).

We'll see tomorrow, with a FULL charge & in the OFFICE (NO WiFi).

indie24

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The only time i have experienced battery drain is when kids use kids corner and I come back to my screen. I have to restart to get to normal

rx74ray

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
My GF's 1520 has been draining fast after we updated to 8.1. A couple of days ago I went in and changed Gmail settings. I changed the sync frequency from "Learn as I go" to hourly, and unchecked calendar (she uses the MS calendar). Today at 2 PM she had 95%. It seems very impressive so far.

Sixto Nuno Ruiz

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem, ever since i upgraded to 8.1 Preview, there's a leak of battery and a lot of heat, specially in the backside by the camara sensor, sometime the camera application pop up without my command. all i can do is turn off and on again my mobile (Reboot), this seems to work. but im pretty sure it because of the WP 8.1 Preview for Developers.

AndyFZ1S

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I had a massive drain and heat problem with my 1520 UK after changing region to us and having Cortana enabled, To remedy it I changed region and language back to UK and lost Cortana, But battery is back to normal with no excessive heat.

An unfortunate trade off in my case but my 920 works fine with US settings and Cortana so I haven't lost out entirely.

I only hope Nokia Cyan firmware remedies this.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Sorry...this isn't 1998...you don't need to do that.

You still do. The system needs to know maximum and minimum battery, so it can scale this accordingly.
Don't drain it until it dies though. About 20% left should be enough. A couple of runs of this and battery should improve within a week....

th34monk3ys

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I recently posted on 1520 forums that the facebook messenger app takes an astonishing -10% per hour using a battery sense app.

recently I discovered after complete reinstall, if you go to people hub and select from some account to all ( facebook was turned off) this increased the battery to -15% per hour from what was before .9%

heat increased by the camera etc like it was in a loop!

I have got 30 apps running in background and still showing .9% showing that issues mainly is the facebook app

in essence 5 days working time to 10 hours tops!

anyone suggest anything?

th34monk3ys

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I downgraded to 8.0, Facebook chat is in app not normal chat, the phone is cooler, battery life returned to normal. Must be fb app is 8 not 8.1!

DrNitun

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I just got the green Lumia 1520 with Windows Phone 8.1 preloaded. It drains about 2-3% per hour and well I am somewhat nervous. Owning Lumias before....coming from the 1020...I am worried that I will soon get that dreaded 8% to 14% drain per hour when the phone is idle.

How is everyone doing with the 8.1 Phone update? Drain any better? Are you able to figure out which apps are the culprits? Looks like FB Messenger is one from reading above (thankfully I do not use that).

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Whenever by standby battery drain is not flat...i use the "Battery" app, i restart the phone. Usually thats about every two days, sometimes more often.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb