I've seen numerous posts, where people have criticized the video recording quality of Lumia 1520. When I was reading the comparision between 1520 and Nexus 5 in phonearena. They also said that video recroding of 1520 is completely sub par. What could be the reason for this poor video quality? Can it be improved with a firmware upgrade?
    12-16-2013 04:48 AM
    The lumia 1520 is a great phone but its true video recordings really suck I really prefer my Lumia 920. I'm looking for an article I read a few weeks ago that the Lumia 1520 will receive camera updates for slo-mo recording and other enhancements but can't find it and its supposed to be 4k recording capable just waiting internal firmware date. I assume its Microsoft side. And yes it can be improved with system update.
    maverick786us and EpidemikE1 like this.
    12-16-2013 05:09 AM
    That day cannot come soon enough, shocked at the state of the video, unless you got very good light it starts to fall short of what is known as a high end phone...never a 1020 beater but at least get us on par with the other high ends...and a little more.

One of the reasons I left android was I always wanted great specs and Nokia camera, when I saw the 1520 I was happy, the finally got upto date specs and good specs camera.......just so happens the phone I choose to jump aboard with has one of the worst video captures in low light out there sigh!

And I have said on other posts we all need to tell Nokia tweet/email/live chat, the more that do the faster we get change, I have done the above and they just say "oh, thats news to us, what problem, you're the first to mention it" all BS (no firm wants to admit issue with new product)

I will stick with them for a month or so, if no improvement for this and the screen swipe issue, well its back to the Galaxy phones.
    12-16-2013 06:23 AM
    That day cannot come soon enough, shocked at the state of the video, unless you got very good light it starts to fall short of what is known as a high end phone...never a 1020 beater but at least get us on par with the other high ends...and a little more.

One of the reasons I left android was I always wanted great specs and Nokia camera, when I saw the 1520 I was happy, the finally got upto date specs and good specs camera.......just so happens the phone I choose to jump aboard with has one of the worst video captures in low light out there sigh!

And I have said on other posts we all need to tell Nokia tweet/email/live chat, the more that do the faster we get change, I have done the above and they just say "oh, thats news to us, what problem, you're the first to mention it" all BS (no firm wants to admit issue with new product)

I will stick with them for a month or so, if no improvement for this and the screen swipe issue, well its back to the Galaxy phones.
    Well it's your first Nokia product so I understand your haste. You'll soon learn Nokia fixes ALL bugs and puts out more updates and customer relations than any other mobile company.
    12-16-2013 11:32 AM
    .......ok I have your word then :-)

Dont get me wrong I want Nokia to do well, I like a good few things about the phones, thats why I moved over to see what I might be missing.......its just its got off to a rocky start when I have to mess with settings or turn all the lights on if I want to shoot anything indoors lol
    12-16-2013 12:17 PM
    Nokia has been VERY good about getting updates out to their devices. I remember when I first dove in to Nokia's pool when they released the Lumia 900, which was a great device, but it was hit with an insane data bug. Nokia fixed it in less than a week. I haven't played around with any low-light video yet myself, but I'm having the weird screen sensitivity bug. Is it annoying, yes. If this were my first phone with Nokia would I be nervous about it getting fixed? Absolutely. But since I've witnessed their track record, I'm confident it'll get resolved.The problem, unfortunately, is the carrier and how quickly they will get the bits tested and pushed out the door (which is one of Microsoft's BIGGEST hurdle if you ask me).I know I haven't necessarily contributed anything truly worthwhile, but I just wanted to share my experience with Nokia with ya.
    12-16-2013 12:48 PM
    I have to say I'm very satisfied w/Nokia.. lots of updates, and their customer care system just fixed my $20 voucher w/in half a day via twitter.
    12-16-2013 12:56 PM
    Really? I will try there because I gave details, they called me, no joy, been on chat again today....no joy......they not sorted it since 6th Dec.
    12-16-2013 02:03 PM
    I may as well quote Stephen Elop's "It's an embarrassing device" when it comes to videos. I dare not share or show my videos to my friend because of the sub-par quality. I have been a long time Nokia user and have always trusted their great camera phones (from N8, 808, 920) but this is really embarrassing.

The recently updated Nokia Camera Beta doesn't seem to help.
    maverick786us likes this.
    01-15-2014 10:41 PM
    Nokia sent me a email asking me to show proof for my complaints about the horrible low light videos, I sent back MANY vs other phone/some low light video proof/and forum links, the reply I got was "thank you for the in depth detail" lol

I have no idea if they plan to do anything or if this update due this month will tweak anything other than the screen issue.

All I can keep saying is keep at Nokia, twitter @nokiahelps live chat or email them.
    01-16-2014 10:28 AM
    We are approaching the end of Jan and still no sign of firmware update. Although they have resolved the secreen over-sensitivity problem. But this below par video recording quality is big problem.
    Mark Reed2 likes this.
    01-20-2014 03:08 AM
    We are approaching the end of Jan and still no sign of firmware update. Although they have resolved the secreen over-sensitivity problem. But this below par video recording quality is big problem.

Screen issue was fixed for a small amount of people.

Lots said it was fixed, but as per normal with these info/system updates the issue seems to be fixed but after hrs/few days it comes back....this is what happened for many people, all jumped on here to say "its fixed" then a day or so later "its not fixed"

The SW update due soon is the screen fix....but I hope its more than just a screen fix, I hope its for the crap videos in low light (not even that low a light...indoors sucks)
    01-20-2014 03:59 AM
    Just curious, are you saving your videos on SD card ?
    01-20-2014 04:26 AM
    What difference does it make?
    01-20-2014 04:42 AM
    Yes to SD, but its (we hope) a software issue.

There are many more threads and reviews showing the problem the phone has as soon as you film in low light http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...hd-videos.html

There is more vs videos on youtube showing the Sony Z1/IP5 (and more) walking all over the 1520 once you use it in low light.

There was talk of AT&T got a update that helped their videos, but no word on that been 100% true.
    01-20-2014 12:31 PM
    Here is the video I shot with Lumia 1520 in a basement Car Park
    01-24-2014 09:17 PM
    Here is the video I shot with Lumia 1520 in a basement Car Park
    Yep, this is not the standard of a high end phone.

They need to improve this asap.
    01-25-2014 04:19 PM
    Nokia Revolution site is just published a sample night video of Lumia 1520 - it looks good (not grainy at all):

It is taken at 9 PM in Philippines (a mall of Asia). It is very dark on that time there ....
    01-26-2014 07:03 AM
    ... and a lowlight video too, by Nokia Revolution site:

01-26-2014 07:08 AM
    Beside my review of the L1520s video camera I did a quick Low Light Shoot Out just out of curiosity.
    My conclusion is that the 1520 is a bit worse, which it should since it has half a stop less in aperture, but none of them are great (like all small sensored cameras).
    The test is kind of pointless so I put it on my old channel which I don't really use anymore.
    01-26-2014 12:25 PM
    Nokia Revolution site is just published a sample night video of Lumia 1520 - it looks good (not grainy at all):

It is taken at 9 PM in Philippines (a mall of Asia). It is very dark on that time there ....
    yep thats horrible
    01-26-2014 01:56 PM

If you look closely, They have a grain all over the place. Only the dark covers it.
    01-26-2014 11:15 PM
    Does anyone know if there has been any efforts on the software front to improve the low light video performance since this last reply? I would hope that there would be something coming along with Windows Phone 8.1 and the Nokia "Blue" update...
    03-28-2014 09:20 AM
    Also, have you guys checked out this review of the 1520 video camera by an amateur cinematographer? I thought it was nice to see how a skilled videographer uses the video camera - much better than most amateur test clips that are out there.

maverick786us and Marlon Bu like this.
    03-28-2014 09:26 AM