Using the international version of Lumia 1520 (RM-937 ) on T-mobile USA?

gsinghal2

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

Will the Factory unlocked international version of 1520 ( RM-937 ), work on T-mobile in US in terms of 3G and LTE.

I see the RM-937 has LTE 800/900/1800/2100/2600 and HSDPA / 3G 850 /900/1900/2100

Thanks,
Gaurav

5150 Joker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I was about to ask the same question of using the international version of the 1520 on AT&T USA. I really miss Qi charging.

Works fine on AT&T with HSPA+ but you won't get LTE. For me personally, lack of LTE doesn't matter at all because my HSPA+ speeds are fast enough to stream HD content and that's all that matters to me. If I need a large download, I use WiFi to do it and would do so even if I had LTE because its capped.

geekaren

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious about this, too. A few questions for 5150joker:
  • What kinds of speeds are you getting on AT&T HSPA+?
  • How is call quality (audio / voice)?

5150 Joker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious about this, too. A few questions for 5150joker:
  • What kinds of speeds are you getting on AT&T HSPA+?
  • How is call quality (audio / voice)?

In my area I'm seeing 5-6+ mbps down and 2-4 mbps upload consistently. Audio/video quality of video streams is very good, about on par with WiFi most of the time even while driving. The Netflix app however is done really poorly for the 1520, it remains pixelated even on a very fast connection. But youtube HD + other streaming programs look fantastic.

Call quality is pretty good so far, loud and crisp with straight talk/AT&T. I get a pretty decent signal even indoors.

*DING DING*..hmm whats this? Oh my qi wireless notification that the phone is fully charged. :D

geekaren

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
In my area I'm seeing 5-6+ mbps down and 2-4 mbps upload consistently. Audio/video quality of video streams is very good, about on par with WiFi most of the time even while driving. The Netflix app however is done really poorly for the 1520, it remains pixelated even on a very fast connection. But youtube HD + other streaming programs look fantastic.

Call quality is pretty good so far, loud and crisp with straight talk/AT&T. I get a pretty decent signal even indoors.

*DING DING*..hmm whats this? Oh my qi wireless notification that the phone is fully charged. :D
LOL, you nailed why I'm curious about the RM-937 -- qi charging! Thanks so much for this feedback. The RM-937 is very tempting...

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
For what it's worth, I did tests with Speedtast.net and Microsoft's Network Speed Test last night while in Conshohocken, PA (8 miles outside of Philadelphia) using the RM-937 on AT&T. Speedtest.net shows 7.94 Mbps down, 2.64 Mbps up. Network Speed Test showed 10.29 Mbps down and 1.62 Mbps up. My partner's Lumia920 with LTE showed a lower download speed (about 6.5 Mbps) and a faster upload speed (over 4 Mbps, if I recall).

ThePKReddy

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
i'm really confused about this phone. if I get the international version unlocked from Amazon, what are the limitations with TMobile, ATT, Straighttalk? I currently have a Lumia 925 w/Tmobile. I love the device but the storage on this thing is frustrating..

Thank you.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Thank you. That's good enough for me, considering the data caps on all carriers...WiFi at most places. Plus I prefer 32gb in RED :)

Data caps are why I switched from AT&T to Aio to begin with. There was no point in paying $160 for my wife and I to share 4GB of LTE data when anything that would really benefit from LTE (e.g. media) would eat through our data caps. Right now, we pay Aio $40 each, the only catch being that our LTE is only good for 250MB. Well, 3G speeds are enough for web browsing and Nokia Mix Radio! I went ahead and purchased the RM-937 so that I could keep using my Qi charging accessories, be completely free of carrier branding and have 32GB.

LeLoT3

May 1, 2013
Visit site
I'll test mine on T-mobile Tomorrow.... It'll be in 3G I know hehehehe.... but in my country it will be 4g!

PS= in Canada do you know with band it is??? (it is not my country)

Last edited:

ThePKReddy

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
I ordered mine today and should have it in hand by the end of the week, or hopefully sooner...will post speed results here

Sent from my M470BSA using WPCentral Forums mobile app

barbequtioner

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I'll test mine on T-mobile Tomorrow.... It'll be in 3G I know hehehehe.... but in my country it will be 4g!

PS= in Canada do you know with band it is??? (it is not my country)

Rogers uses band 7. I do not specifically know what Bell and TELUS offer, but I am sure a Google search would give you the answer you seek on those other carriers! :)

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand why the hype about Qi wireless. I don't really need it or wish for it. The only thing that would be nice if we have more options in term of storage, other than 16GB on AT&T. Also the AT&T version is optimized for their GSM network, so the international may got a substantial nice hardware, it lack the LTE options on the American network which to me is really pointless to pay so much for a phone that you will not be able to use with LTE.

Last edited:

ThePKReddy

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
LTE only matter if you're on a grandfathered plan for most of us. I'm on WiFi at home and office. I'd go for LTE if I had unlimited data for a reasonable price and tethering.

Sent from my RM-893_nam_tmous_201 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750