8.1, will we get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markie577

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Two things. See a doctor. And stick to Andriod.

Let's see if you can spot a pattern... Windows Phone 7, Windows Phone 8, Windows Phone 8.1

Now utilizing nothing but common sense do you think the relationship between WP7:WP8 is the same as WP8:WP8.1? Take your time. Use some scratch paper if you need it.

Let's see if you can detect an pattern,

WP7, WP7.5, WP7.8
All an incremental update that the phones could run!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I always wondered why phone updates have to go through the manufacturer and the carrier.

Every Android device ships with its own proprietary version of Android, that is specifically adapted to the hardware of each particular device. As such, no single version of Android exists that runs on everything. Strictly speaking, there are as many versions of Android as there are Android handsets. Google makes just one version of Android, which unaltered, doesn't run on any hardware at all.

That is why manufacturers must spend a lot of time merging the alterations made by Google back into the specific code base for each of their devices. That is why manufacturers must get involved to update the OS on Android devices. It's an ugly process. The only exception is when Google takes responsibility to do that themselves, which is what the Nexus devices are about.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Every Android device ships with its own proprietary version of Android, that is specifically adapted to the hardware of each particular device. As such, no single version of Android exists that runs on everything. Strictly speaking, there are as many versions of Android as there are Android handsets. Google makes just one version of Android, which unaltered, doesn't run on any hardware at all.

That is why manufacturers must spend a lot of time merging the alterations made by Google back into the specific code base for each of their devices. That is why manufacturers must get involved to update the OS on Android devices. It's an ugly process. The only exception is when Google takes responsibility to do that themselves, which is what the Nexus devices are about.

Hmmm, interesting! But Apple goes through the same process. It's much more streamlined though. Apple is the OEM, but they still go through the carriers. Apple enforces a strict timeline, and that's why all versions get the update at the same time. And FWIW, official WP updates still go through OEMs and carriers. As far as I know, the preview program for GDR3 was the first deviation from that, and it's still not an official update. This process is not unique to Android.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm, interesting! But Apple goes through the same process. It's much more streamlined though. Apple is the OEM, but they still go through the carriers. Apple enforces a strict timeline, and that's why all versions get the update at the same time. And FWIW, official WP updates still go through OEMs and carriers. As far as I know, the preview program for GDR3 was the first deviation from that, and it's still not an official update. This process is not unique to Android.

I suspect you are confusing things... my statements were only about the involvement of OEMs. The involvement of carriers is a completely different topic. As I explained, involving the OEMs for Android updates is a technical necessity. The carrier's involvement is a matter of political necessity. Since WP8, WP OS updates can only be delivered OTA, so we are dependent on carriers as a distribution channel, but other than that, they could be removed from the update process without consequence.

Last edited:

rakesh1995

Banned
May 26, 2013
Visit site

apple make there OWN PHONE AND OPERATING SYSTEM and ONLY HAS TO WORK ON 3 phone for update.
1-THIS YEAR MODEL
2-PREVIOUS YEAR
3-before that year

Sent from my snow phone 520 (RM-914_im_india_269) using Tapatalk

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
apple make there OWN PHONE AND OPERATING SYSTEM and ONLY HAS TO WORK ON 3 phone for update.
1-THIS YEAR MODEL
2-PREVIOUS YEAR
3-before that year

While true, that's barely relevant. The advantage Apple has (had?) over the carriers is bargaining power. Although that power is fading, the legal framework Apple worked out with the carriers hasn't changed. Google just couldn't care less about that angle of the business (which I think is their biggest flaw), and MS is too weak, meaning MS basically bends over whenever the carriers tell them to. That Apple could dictate their terms, and that those contracts are still legally binding today, is the true source of Apple's competitive advantage.

Even if Apple had 20 SKUs to update, they'd still have no trouble providing the same top notch update service they do today. It would be a bit more expensive, but I very much doubt that an extra two or three million would be enough for them to consider changing their update policies.

For the technically less inclined it's probably hard to fathom, but there really are only three WP models in circulation to worry about, so technically, MS' situation is similar to Apple's.

cubanaso

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Here I was thinking that these threads would disappear when this was posted http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...ive]-will-my-wp-phone-get-updated-thread.html

The 1520 has the latest software and hardware, to think it wouldn't get an update in less than 6 months time is a bit silly. I have a L920 and I expected WP8.1 from the beginning. Don't fully understand why these threads keep popping up.

Same thought that I had when I purchased the Lumia 900...and then in less than 6 months after its release MSFT said that it would not be updated to WP8. So, technically it isn't a silly thing to consider since it already happened before. Now you're most likely right, most WP8 phones will get the update, barring any carrier or manufacturer resistance. I support MSFT and Nokia but one shouldn't simply forget the past (i.e. windows mobile, kin (lol), and windows phone 7). And before you say WP7.5 and 7.8, 7.5 added copy and paste and a some under the hood improvements and 7.8 brought a different start screen. I hardly call those updates especially for those who purchased the Lumia 900...rant over :)

I am looking forward to WP8.1 should be a great update, and I'll definitely upgrade to which ever device they have running that update as soon as its released.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
WP is a closed platform like iOS and with Microsoft owning Nokia phone business (and the fact that Nokia owns 90% market share of the WP smartphones) they should tell the carriers to just get lost and push the updates out OTA like Apple or Google for the Nexus/GPE devices.

Euell Gibbons

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
WP is a closed platform like iOS and with Microsoft owning Nokia phone business (and the fact that Nokia owns 90% market share of the WP smartphones) they should tell the carriers to just get lost and push the updates out OTA like Apple or Google for the Nexus/GPE devices.

Until WP8 has a lot more than 3% of the market share, they ain't telling the carriers sh*t.

However, the MS developer program is a convenient way around that limitation. It allows the technically savvy crowd quick access to the latest updates, which is a big advantage Android had over WP8. And something iOS users never had to worry about.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

You misunderstand.
  1. MS can't just push out updates OTA without carrier involvement. OTA means the exact opposite! If it is updated OTA, then it is distributed over THE CARRIERS cellular network. If it is updated OTA, then the carriers have complete control over whether you get your update or not. The only way to go around the carriers is by not using their cellular network (some other method than OTA). The only benefit of OTA is that it allows the OS developer to push updates to everyone, even the technically challenged that would otherwise never update their smartphone OS.
  2. All Android devices and all of Apple's devices also are subject to carrier testing. I don't know what Google's contracts look like, but any carrier that distributes iPhones is legally bound to sign off on a particular iOS update by a specific date that is set by Apple. If Microsoft were to ask for such privileges they'd get laughed out of the room.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
You misunderstand.
  1. MS can't just push out updates OTA without carrier involvement. OTA means the exact opposite! If it is updated OTA, then it is distributed over THE CARRIERS cellular network. If it is updated OTA, then the carriers have complete control over whether you get your update or not. The only way to go around the carriers is by not using their cellular network (some other method than OTA). The only benefit of OTA is that it allows the OS developer to push updates to everyone, even the technically challenged that would otherwise never update their smartphone OS.

I'm not sure about this, but wouldn't you still get updates even if you had a carrier locked phone that never had a SIM card in it? I would think the OTA update would still come via WiFi.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure about this, but wouldn't you still get updates even if you had a carrier locked phone that never had a SIM card in it? I would think the OTA update would still come via WiFi.

The update itself can be distributed over any network, but using OTA updates, it's the carrier that holds the key that is required to set that process into motion. If the carrier doesn't flip the switch for devices with a specific product number, then those devices won't get the update. You could define OTA to mean nothing more than "update distribution over any arbitrary wireless network" (which is what it should mean), but in the telecom industry, it is understood to refer to carrier controlled distribution.

The entire OTA standard originated in the telecom industry.

Last edited:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The update itself can be distributed over any network, but using OTA updates, it's the carrier that holds the key that is required to set that process into motion. If the carrier doesn't flip the switch for devices with a specific product number, then those devices won't get the update. You could define OTA to mean nothing more than "update distribution over any arbitrary wireless network" (which is what it should mean), but in the telecom industry, it is understood to refer to carrier controlled distribution.

The entire OTA standard originated in the telecom industry.

Ah, gotcha! That makes sense.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos