If you could do it over again, would you buy the 1520?

EnemiesInTheEnd

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Considering all things, do you feel like you made the right choice? I backed out of getting a Lumia 1520 because I was afraid AT&T was going to overcharge me on my bill because the additional fees in the estimated bill added $18 on top of the monthly charges. I don't see anything exciting on the way to get rid of my Galaxy Nexus for since the Lumia 929 keeps getting pushed back further and further with Verizon. I'm starting to reconsider AT&T and the 1520. The only thing is there seems to be a lot of issues with the phone. People seem unhappy with the camera, touch issues, screen dimming, etc. Do you guys feel you made the right choice with the Lumia 1520 or would you get something else?

I could wait and see how the Lumia 929 does when it shows up in February or maybe wait until the Galaxy S5, but that's a long time to wait.

jbfoster61

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes, Yes and Yes I would.

I am happy with my phone. I had a issue with my WiFi but it looks like it was my router and not my phone. My screen, camera and Touch have been fine. I have had my phone about 2 weeks now.

Jim

Last edited:

JRDEMASKUS

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I am not having any problems with the device, other than carrying it. I need a holster, don't trust my pockets.
You are reading too much into forum issues.
Yes, touch screen can be too sensitive until you learn how to use it.
And there are probably always going to be some lemons in the initial launch.
I bought a Nexus 5, 2 weeks (?) before the N1520. Since I moved my SIM card into the N1520, I have barely touched the Nexus 5. I left it in airplane mode to keep the cellular off, but the WiFi is on so I can check Gmail once in a while.
The Nexus 5 has been sitting, on battery and On, for the last 11 days.
Long Story, but I wanted to keep a foot in android while existing in Windows Phone, though the OS has a lot of work to do to catch back up with android, or even come close to what WinMo 6.x used to be.
One big problem with the Nokia 1520, this device will ruin you for anything smaller.

JRDEMASKUS

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
The Nokia 1520 is not as fast as the Nexus 5.
I also have not come across any browser issues that are resolved by using either Chrome or Internet Explorer. I enjoy IE function more, but Chrome is faster. Wish I could get Chrome on the N1520.
I only bought the N1520 for Internet Explorer, the large screen and great specs, and the SD card. My other choice was the Samsung Note3. But I bought 2 new high end devices for only $200+ more.

Westoncreg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Honestly I was a little afraid I was going to get a defective unit because of the forums but trust me when I say they a very loud very small minority with problems, mine has been 100% no defects since I've gotten and I just can't use anything smaller

5150 Joker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I have zero complaints and absolutely no issues with the phone. Of course mine is the rm 937 which has different hardware than the ATT version.

Sent from my RM-937_apac_hong_kong_222 using Tapatalk

Mark Reed2

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Yes and no

I really like it, and at this time I am waiting to see if they fix the touch and poor low light videos (when I say poor I mean horrible) should a fix come soon...very soon, then I would go to say its one of the best I have had.

Now if I knew of the faults and it was summertime/going on holiday, and I was given the choice to buy it,then no, I would not buy it, I would not like to go away and film amazing memories (low light/indoor/night) on this and then think wtf is up with the picture, I would prob stick with the SGS4.

When fixed=amazing phone
If they dont fix=will not buy Nokia again.

Jf.Vigor

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Love the device. Still getting used to the size but I would never have chosen any other. My only issue lies with the 16GB storage. Kind of a bummer but my 64 SD card is putting in work and with 8.1, this storage issue won't be a problem

Jmac28040

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm wouldn't trade my 1520 for anything, and one thing I always try to keep in mind browsing any device form is alot of people with problems post on forms, whether to find solutions, or just complain while most people with no problems don't post, or even visit device forms, making problems seem much more widespread than they actually are

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
People seem unhappy with the camera, touch issues, screen dimming, etc. Do you guys feel you made the right choice with the Lumia 1520 or would you get something else?

Every high end phone has issues when it is first released. A lot of stuff gets cleared up with firmware upgrades. If it's a hardware issue wait a few months until they work all the bugs out of the manufacturing process. If you wait for the 929 you are going to be in the same position. I got two 1520s for my parents. One had a major screen issue and I replaced it. Now they are both fine as far as I can tell. Just got a firmware update yesterday and knowing Nokia there will be more to come.

Every iphone my girlfriend has gotten since I met her required at least one exchange or firmware roll back because she lost the ability to connect to secure wifi.

Anyway upset people are more likely to post on the internet. People usually don't post messages that say I went to the store and bought something and when I got home it turns out I got exactly what was on the box.

TonyF64

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm mostly happy with it. The screen touch issue bugs the crap out of me. There was a new firmware yesterday. I don't know if it will be better or not yet, but it is certainly not fixed. (Seems to be okay for a day or two with a reboot). I'm also bummed about the lack of Qi. I also have a small issue with the auto screen brightness. It is fine except in very low light where it is way too dim. I've had it two to three weeks now and I'm just now getting used to the size. I'm coming from a Titan.
Honestly, if I could choose to go to Verizon (I'm on a cheap family plan now) I'd probably wait for the 929 (icon). I is a good size, will have Qi and 32GB.

05Paris

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes people need to learn to live with the decisions you make. This whole thing of would I, could I, should I...enjoy whatever device you have...until the next one comes along and the next and the next. There is one thing about the tech industry and that is there is always the next big thing around the corner. This will drive you insane if you let it so enjoy...if you make a mistake it isn't brain surgery...yet.

giantenemybird

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I LITERALLY did buy it again.

I sold mine and went back to the 1020. I thought one handed use and a *slightly* better camera was worth it. Nope. You can't go backwards. I miss the awesome battery life and display of the 1520, so I bought it again. Very happy.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I love the 1520, and it is a wonderful device, and so many awesome specs, but that screen is TOO big! 5 inches is the largest I would go. So I am excited for the 929, but I hope they make a global/AT&T variant.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99