Canadians beware, LTE may kill your battery! (on unlocked model RM-937)

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
While battery life for me has been decent at best, I've always been confused by those who have boasted about exceptional battery life. Just for clarification I'm using the unlocked RM-937 Lumia 1520 (Hong Kong variant) on the Rogers network in Toronto, Canada. For me, battery has been marginally better than my 920. This led to do some testing and troubleshooting and I've spent the last 5 days trying to eliminate some possibilities. So far, on average I'm seeing a drop of anywhere between 5-10% in battery drop per hour while in my pocket (not using my 1520). My personal settings and discussion can be found on my previous thread: http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...-if-im-having-battery-issues.html#post2263536

So I made a breakthrough...

Last night I went to see The Hobbit and with my phone in my pocket not being touched I dropped 14%! Last night I went to bed with my battery at 62%. I accidentally left my phone off the charger. I woke up this morning pissed expecting my battery to be on battery saver but through some miracle of God it did NOT move a single percentage. Don't ask me how this was possible but the only way I can make sense of it was that I was connected to Wi-fi at home. I only received one email over night and a couple live tiles updated. This led me to immediately believe that the reason I'm not seeing stellar battery life (though it is still very good) is because of LTE.

So I did a second test. Normally on my short trek to work or home from work I drop about 7% just on my 20-30 min walk without use. This baffles me. Today I manually dropped the connection down from max speed of 4G aka LTE to 3G. I made my trip to work this morning, took it out of my pocket to check the battery and guess what? It did not move a single percent! So in conclusion, my battery eating culprit is LTE.

Now.. I'm not sure if this is only going to cause Canadians who purchased unlocked 1520's issues because Rogers actually operates on the 2600mhz LTE Max band which supposedly can deliver us LTE "speeds of up to 150mbps". And to my understanding AT&T users with unlocked 1520's do not get LTE on these devices. So it seems like this LTE band is causing some battery drain. Sadly, the only solution is to manually adjust my data connection speeds based on use but that's pretty annoying. And I doubt a fix for this is going to address this issue. That's too bad.

EDIT: Someone on another forum just mentioned something someone else here said. And this is exactly what the issue is... When you have low receive signal strength your phone transmits at a higher power to make sure it gets a signal back to the tower. Since Canadians are only able to achieve partial LTE coverage due to only having the 2600mhz band on my phone for LTW and not the AWS (1700/2100Mhz) band it seems to make sense my phone drains when using LTE. You guys in the US won't encounter this issue. But some people using the unlocked model like myself will have this issue.
wp_ss_20131220_0001.jpg

Last edited:

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Re: Discovered LTE to be a battery KILLER!

Yeah, he just wanted to prove it.

Correct. I've had people tossing around a million suggestions on how to resolve this battery drain. All types of suggestions like performing a hard reset, swapping the device, disabling background tasks, turning down my screen brightness, install apps one at time to test the battery... Only one person suggested that it could be LTE.

So yes, I'm essentially confirming for anyone unsure or getting/giving mixed info that LTE is a 100% definite battery killer.

gfunk84

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site

I thought it was generally known that LTE rapes your battery...

I thought one of the benefits of LTE was better battery life than 3G? I don't even bother with Wi-Fi on my 1020 even when I'm at home.

OP are you in an area with spotty service? That will drain battery far quicker than a reliable connection.

Meagey

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Re: Confirmed LTE to be the battery KILLER!

On mine I can pic lte 4g or 2g... I've had it on lte since I got the phone...ill try to put in on just 4g and see of that saves some battery for me

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

So yes, I'm essentially confirming for anyone unsure or getting/giving mixed info that LTE is a 100% definite battery killer.

Funny, LTE does not kill off my battery. Like I mentioned prior. I have all settings identical to my 920 and the 1520 is worlds better in terms of battery life.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

I couldn't help but notice that your usernam is Lundon so I assume thats like London and I read battery as (bat tree)

Phrozty

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site

I've never taken LTE off of mine and was getting 2 days out of it (before I started playing Qonqr lol)

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site

I thought it was generally known that LTE rapes your battery...

Fundy Christians don't get sex ed at school so they don't know.

I thought one of the benefits of LTE was better battery life than 3G?

Yes and babies are delivered by storks.

Maybe there is low LTE coverage. The phone will constantly searching for LTE connection. It will consume much battery

^This.

I saw some video of a guy on a train checking out Britain's cell phone infrastructure and he noticed abysmal battery life as he traversed the country and his phone kept popping into low coverage areas. I put my phone in airplane mode at certain ski resorts because they have crap coverage on their mountains. I turn on the radios every so often to check for texts and what not. I do this as well when driving through the American desert southwest where coverage can be spotty.

Jf.Vigor

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

I saw some video of a guy on a train checking out Britain's cell phone infrastructure and he noticed abysmal battery life as he traversed the country and his phone kept popping into low coverage areas. I put my phone in airplane mode at certain ski resorts because they have crap coverage on their mountains. I turn on the radios every so often to check for texts and what not. I do this as well when driving through the American desert southwest where coverage can be spotty.

Yup, what this guy said. It's all about your coverage area. I confirmed this about a year ago while sitting at work. I ran a little test and used wifi only. My 920 lasted like a champ

Matts4313

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Glad you found a fix. Ive only had mine for a couple days, but I am in the "battery is awesome" camp. I wanted to test it out, so after getting it fully charged the first time I decided not to plug it in until it gave me a warning. It was about 36 hours later, and that was with a lot of playing/showing it off.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site

Someone on another forum just mentioned something someone said above. And this is exactly what the issue is... When you have low receive signal strength your phone transmits at a higher power to make sure it gets a signal back to the tower. Since Canadians are only able to achieve partial LTE coverage due to only having the 2600mhz band on my phone for LTW and not the AWS (1700/2100Mhz) band it seems to make sense my phone drains when using LTE. You guys in the US won't encounter this issue. But some people using the unlocked model like myself will have this issue.

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Confirmed LTE may be a battery KILLER! (on unlocked models)

AT&T has a strong LTE network in my city and it hasn't been a battery killer at all for me. I was using a Samsung GSII Skyrocket when they flipped the LTE switch and if anything my battery life got better, not worse.

Nokia 1520

Last edited:

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site

AT&T has a strong LTE network in my city and it hasn't been battery killer at all for me. I was using a Samsung GSII Skyrocket when they flipped the LTE switch and if anything my battery life got better, not worse.

Nokia 1520

As you said you have a strong LTE signal which is exactly why you don't suffer any battery loss. If you had a weak LTE signal you might see issues.

barbequtioner

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

This is one of those threads that will illicit unnecessary fear in us city dwellers. I'm so happy to be in the heart of an LTE swarm, I don't know how you closer to rural types deal with these telecom atrocities.

Matts4313

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Since Canadians are only able to achieve partial LTE coverage due to only having the 2600mhz band on my phone for LTW and not the AWS (1700/2100Mhz) band it seems to make sense my phone drains when using LTE. You guys in the US won't encounter this issue. But some people using the unlocked model like myself will have this issue.

So what you are saying is... we should blame Canada?

(southpark reference )

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion