Is this phone really too big?

Tichshew

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I picked up my red Lumia 1520 three days ago. I've used the Note before so I was anticipating the size. It is MASSIVE, but you do get used to it. Be prepared for comments though, everyone wants to know what it is, especially being gloss red, it gets attention.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
it is on the heavy side.
It is, but it doesn't feel that way to me. The Samsung models feel somewhat "cheap" to me -- I'm guessing because of how I interpret their light weight. The 1520 feels "appropriately weighty" to me while the 920 always felt heavy. (Remember the early 920 reviews? Gizmodo said "It's just too heavy. Inexcusably heavy. Way, way too heavy to recommend to anyone.")

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
It is, but it doesn't feel that way to me. The Samsung models feel somewhat "cheap" to me -- I'm guessing because of how I interpret their light weight. The 1520 feels "appropriately weighty" to me while the 920 always felt heavy. (Remember the early 920 reviews? Gizmodo said "It's just too heavy. Inexcusably heavy. Way, way too heavy to recommend to anyone.")

One of the things I didn't like about the 900 was the weight.

Sent from my LG-D800 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Speedygi

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I picked up my red Lumia 1520 three days ago. I've used the Note before so I was anticipating the size. It is MASSIVE, but you do get used to it. Be prepared for comments though, everyone wants to know what it is, especially being gloss red, it gets attention.

That's what I'm afraid of to some extent as well...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Wilguens Joachin

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I don't think the phone is too big. If you have gigantic hands like me than it definitely won't be a problem. But at the end of the day it all comes down to preferences and what you like.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
That's what I'm afraid of to some extent as well...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I actually understand that. After a while, you would like to be able to pull it out of your pocket without everyone in the room flying off the handle about how massive it is.

Oh well. Life ain't about pleasing other people. It will get attention. But in the end, it really is about usability and advantages VS. un-usability and disadvantages. On my score sheet, the downside of 6" massive size does not by itself outweigh any of the numerous advantages.

It is large enough to make me uncomfortable about buying it. But not enough to keep me away.

gladbecker82

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
How Long does this phone take to be fully charged? 3 Hours? and how long does it last? im curious.
I picked Note 3 over it because 1520 just seem to big and heavy, the Note 3 i can hold safe and operate with 1 hand.

Anyway had both?
I loved my 920 even though battery life was atrocious.

John Fungo

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I have the 1520 and bought it over the 1020. I got used to my phablet easily. It's very easy to handle, but you'll need two hands to type. Sometimes, I can manage to type with only one hand but probably it's due to my guitar-playing. Nokia and other phablet makers have cunningly created the need for large phones. But to be sure, it's better if you'll probably test one first before buying.

John Fungo

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
And here's one advantage of the phone. Search for GSMArena's battery endurance test and you'll see that the 1520 has currently the longest battery life for a phone/phablet.

CollingwoodFc

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
I'd say its perfect for a business person like me. Having used BB devices in the past typing is not an issue. Also I've had note 2, Z ultra and HTC ONE in the past, I'm used to 5 inch plus screens.

I've not come across a single person who hasn't asked about this phone. You'll be blushing by the amount of compliments you get.

This is my first windows phone and already sold 3 to my colleagues 😊

darth_furious

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Like everyone else, use it for a week and every phone you see has a tiny screen. This screen is amazing in terms of clarity, brightness, and colors.

Landscape typing takes adjustment as my thumbs have to travel further. Portrait typing is almost like landscape typing on a 520. Its pretty nice.

Is it too big? Its all about preference. If Nokia releases a 6.5in (like lumia 1720). I know I would order one right now (even full price since I don't want to wait 2yrs for my next upgrade). But that's me and I like big phones. I bet a 6.5in phone would have even better battery life than the 1520 with a bigger battery (4000+mah). It would weigh more proportionally but that'd be fine. It would barely fit my pants pockets but it would probably still fit my pants.

There are already 2560x1440 phones in development: http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/16/vivo-xplay-3s-quad-hd/ so I could imagine a bigger phone with this resolution. We know how spec wars will push this...just a matter of time before something bigger than the galaxy mega.

The rumor that's been around for a while is that wp8 is for devices up to 7inches and anything over 8.4 in would be a tablet http://microsoft-news.com/rumor-mic...up-wp8-to-7-and-scale-down-windows-rt-to-8-4/
If that implies a 7in wp8, I'm excited.
Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos