Is this phone really too big?

Speedygi

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I want to get this phone but I'm genuinely worried it might be a little too outrageous with the size...what are your thoughts of the handleability of the devices, for those who have gotten them...

Thanks.

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
I have the exact same problem... I'm thinking about getting it 16:th January when it comes to Sweden, but I think it'll be to big... :unhappy:

SoloXCRacer

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
It takes a little getting used to, but once I adjusted, I can't see myself going back. Maybe I can go back to a 5" phone, but every time I see an iPHone, or even my old 920, I think, "damn that's a tiny phone". Though one handed operation may be a little awkward. Screen is beautiful though and camera amazing. No problem fitting into my pockets either.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Its been said, but the only true way is to look at it, and hold it, in person. If your first reaction isn't "oh my gosh how silly looking" then you are a candidate.

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
It's definitely big, but you get accustomed to it pretty quickly. My LG G2 now feels small and it's a 5.2" screen. It now feels like my wife's iPhone 5s to me. The 5s feels like an iPod nano;)

Nokia 1520

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Big is beautiful... First time you see a HD video on YouTube, it hooks you... Everything else is just small and insignificant next to the awesomeness that is the 1520.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't have the phone. It looks ridiculously big. I laughed out loud when I saw it... but in a giddy way. It's ridiculous and awesome at the same time. Ridiculously awesome.

I 100% know that if I used one for a day that I would have trouble going back to anything smaller.

Brian Richman

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I got mine three days after it came out here in the USA, so that means I have had it for about a month.

It sure does take some getting used to. The 6" size is way bigger than anything "phone" that most people are used to.

I have to say that I love the large screen. It is a great display, works great in low light and also in direct sunshine (although it;s not perfect in direct light), better than anything else I have used to date. The virtual keyboard is also so easy to use as the keys are large. My wife has an iPhone 4S and while she was driving this afternoon, asked me to send a text message. That damn thing is so dinky and small, it's almost unusable compared to my 1520.

Like several others have said, I could possibly go back to a 5" screen device, but nothing smaller anymore.

The 1520 is a bit of a monster in use, but once you are used to it, things are not so bad.

Speedygi

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Good thoughts. I know if I were to come to this device, I will need to radically reprogram my mind to the new idea of having one of the biggest phablets in my hands, and not be ashamed of rocking it or making calls off of it.

However, I think the welcome change of having a luxurious big screen would override any worries I might have. Anything that can help me streamline my one device use case is always welcome, and would save me lots of needing to search for a bigger screen for specific browsing or gaming, in particular.

I just have to see how it goes on my income front to make that decision.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

kitsVA

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Fonts look too big for such a big beautiful screen even when set to smallest size. My old Android 5" xperia ZL displays more webpage on wpcentral than 6" screen of 1520. Any tips to reduce fonts to be smaller?

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I have the same exact worries. My Wife's 5" Note 1 seems perfect, and this bad, bad boy dwarfs that. It is thinner then it has any right to be which helps. It also has a nice, curved feel to it that makes it a little nicer to hold.

But that screen pops off the handset and just explodes in color. The response is amazing, and the thing is easily set up for the next 2-4 updates/software upgrades with it's overkill hardware specs.

I am betting I get used to it. I have handled it a half dozen times, and other then holding to my face for phone calls each time it got more comfy. The phone call thing is uncomfortable and I may need a bluetooth.

I am excited to get it now. I bet you will be too when you have a chance to see and handle it.

Connie Litrenta

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Seriously? This phone isn't even close to some of the others out there in size (Lumia 1520, Note II, Samsung Mega, LG Optimus, etc.). This phone may seem "big" to those coming from something such as an iPhone, but I don't see as big at all. If anything, I think people might be more concerned with the weight, which you also get used to but which also is considerably different from a lot of light weight phones out there. For me, I like the size and the weight just makes me think it might survive a drop (perish the thought)

win_splash

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I got my 1520 last night at MS store, but I was undecided until the last minute before I paid. I was seconds away from getting a yellow 1020, the box was already out and ready to be scanned, but the sales person who was using a black 1520 convinced me to try the 1520 first, he explained that I was paying the same contract price of $199, and that I had 14 days to return it for a 1020 if I didn't like it. He told me the same thing I've read from a few posts already--you get used to the screen size quickly and once that happens you don't want to use a smaller screen phone. I got a few hours of use so far and I love it, my hands are bit large so its not hard to hold, I was more worried about putting it away in my pant pockets, but that's not an issue for me since I don't wear skinny jeans. Everything just looks more amazing on a larger 1080p display. The ability to store to SD card is also a big plus, you can store all your photos, videos, and even maps to the SD card, leaving the internal storage for system and apps. The MS sales rep also told me that GTA was coming for Windows Phone next week (not sure if this has been announced) and that for graphic intense games like GTA I will be glad that I picked up the 1520 with larger screen and dual core processor.

Hope this helps.

giantenemybird

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I'll give you my perspective which is one of someone who used the 1520 for a month, sold it, went back to a 1020 and is now regretting it. A lot of it had to do with screen size, for both decisions.

You get used to the size, I promise you. However, one handed use is impossible for me and I THOUGHT I wanted one handed use back and the slightly better camera on the 1020. BUT, there are things about the screen on the 1520 that spoiled me that I realize now that I missed more than I thought I would. First of all, the colors on the screen of the 1520 are amazing. My 1020 colors look dull now. Also, the extra columns for tiles on the home screen make a huge difference when picking up my phone and looking at the screen. Bottom line, despite a few draw backs, I miss the 1520's giant screen and I now regret selling it.

duncan0622

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I wss so resistant in the first place, but now I love the size of Lumia1520 thanks to the extra real estate and amazing ips display. Everything like surfing web, gaming and playing video are more enjoyable!

Tim J Meyer

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
I purchased the 1520 sight unseen while speaking with an AT&T rep on the phone. When it came I was shocked at the size. I used it for 2 days and decided it was just too big. I took advantage of the 14 day return policy with AT&T and picked up a 1020. After a few days with the 1020 (actually 2 of them due to a bad battery) I am ready to go back and get the 1520. The hardware on the 1520 blows any other Windows phone out of the water (actually most other phones). The screen is spectacular and you really will appreciate the extra row of live tiles and full 1080p resolution. The large size isn't conducive to one handed use but it does make for a much better typing experience overall. One of the biggest benefits that I am surprised no one else has mentioned is the battery life. My brand new 1020 can't make it a full day on a charge. The 1520 will go a day and half easily. I personally don't want to be tied to my charger. I am always on the go and rarely in an office or my car so battery life is very important to me.

I will admit the large size does make you a little self conscious but who cares. I just have to see how practical running with endomondo is going to be....

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
This phone isn't even close to some of the others out there in size (Lumia 1520, Note II, Samsung Mega, LG Optimus, etc.).
Actually, the 1520 is larger and heavier than all of those -- it's even heavier than the Note 3 and the Mega 6.3 and larger than the Note III. Even in the metric of how much of the front surface is display area, the 1520 doesn't particularly stand out: the models range from 70-74% of the front surface being screen -- the 1520 has 71% screen. All of the manufacturers are fighting the same laws of physics (chiefly structural integrity and power density) and are ending up with roughly the same results.

That said, my 1520 feels great in the hand. It feels sturdy. Every person (including me) who has held it and my previous 920 has pronounced the 920 the heavier phone, despite the 1520 weighing 26g (about 1 oz.) less.Adding to the quality/rugged feel and lighter-than-reality perceived weight is a truly fantastic screen.

Yes, it's too big to use one handed for many things (maybe even most things). But it's not too big to use one-handed for some things. Careful tile placement lets you optimize the features that you can reach easily with one hand. AT&T neutered their version somewhat, so I've returned it and purchased the RM-937 version. Having the extra built-in memory and the Qi charging was worth the loss of access to AT&T LTE network. Most of the time I am at home, work, or a restaurant/park with Wi-Fi, so LTE is less important.

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
Actually, the 1520 is larger and heavier than all of those -- it's even heavier than the Note 3 and the Mega 6.3 and larger than the Note III. Even in the metric of how much of the front surface is display area, the 1520 doesn't particularly stand out: the models range from 70-74% of the front surface being screen -- the 1520 has 71% screen. All of the manufacturers are fighting the same laws of physics (chiefly structural integrity and power density) and are ending up with roughly the same results.

That said, my 1520 feels great in the hand. It feels sturdy. Every person (including me) who has held it and my previous 920 has pronounced the 920 the heavier phone, despite the 1520 weighing 26g (about 1 oz.) less.Adding to the quality/rugged feel and lighter-than-reality perceived weight is a truly fantastic screen.

Yes, it's too big to use one handed for many things (maybe even most things). But it's not too big to use one-handed for some things. Careful tile placement lets you optimize the features that you can reach easily with one hand. AT&T neutered their version somewhat, so I've returned it and purchased the RM-937 version. Having the extra built-in memory and the Qi charging was worth the loss of access to AT&T LTE network. Most of the time I am at home, work, or a restaurant/park with Wi-Fi, so LTE is less important.

I'm pretty sure the 1520 is NOT bigger than the Mega.

Nokia 1520

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro