Gnarly 1020 Screen Burn (pic)

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
1020 is AMOLED.

Exactly. It's especially bad with Windows Phone, because the apps have the bold typography and static images. For example, the three circles at the bottom of most apps. Good luck not getting those burned in eventually.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi there 😊 So I went into the ATT store to grab a matte Zagg Shield for my 1520, and was messing with some other devices while waiting to be assisted and snapped a pretty gross pic of their 1020. I haven't actually seen burn in this bad that wasn't an Amoled screen. Picture doesn't really do it justice.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?res...uthkey=!AJRhCL5V90G-XMM&v=3&ithint=photo,.jpg
lol gross might be a tad exaggeration ha but that is bad. But I miss amoled on my 1520. Why do amoled screens burn in like that

teoami

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I actually just noticed the other day that my Lumia 900 has some burn in from the home screen. Sure glad I upgraded to the 1520.

lucas.scott

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Now knowing the 1020 has an AMOLED screen makes a lot more sense. I do not miss it from my 928. I found the colors to be oversaturated. Especially comparing side by side with the 8x. I'll take the slight decrease in black level.

In other news, this matte Zagg gives my red 1520 an entirely new feel. Actually feels like a matte device now.

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Now knowing the 1020 has an AMOLED screen makes a lot more sense. I do not miss it from my 928. I found the colors to be oversaturated. Especially comparing side by side with the 8x. I'll take the slight decrease in black level.

In other news, this matte Zagg gives my red 1520 an entirely new feel. Actually feels like a matte device now.

A matte wrap gives a matte feel?

mind-blown-o.jpg

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps I deserved that. What I meant to say was it is of higher quality than expected. Most matte wraps I have tried offer a rather cheap "scratchy" feel.

I'm simply excited to have a nice premium feel on the glossy red.

I'm just giving you the business. I'm just a sarcastic *****. :amaze:

boovish

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi there  So I went into the ATT store to grab a matte Zagg Shield for my 1520, and was messing with some other devices while waiting to be assisted and snapped a pretty gross pic of their 1020. I haven't actually seen burn in this bad that wasn't an Amoled screen. Picture doesn't really do it justice.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?res...uthkey=!AJRhCL5V90G-XMM&v=3&ithint=photo,.jpg

You should see the 928 screens in the MS store. You mainly just see the home tiles. Thats why AMOLED is garbage

reconrevelations

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
idk my 1020 is Doing good

Well my advice is to be very careful. Static images are the biggest offenders. For example, if you use twitter quite a bit, you might want to rotate between two different apps or else you'll end up with those little circles at the bottom, or possibly the large words that are used as headers burned in. That goes for any app that you use a lot. Also, make sure to have your phone screen set to turn off after 30 seconds or a minute. If not, you'll end up with your tiles burned in. After that, you're screwed. This isn't image retention, which is short term; this is screen burn in, which won't ever go away.

giantenemybird

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I sold my 1520, went back to a 1020, then went back to a 1520 again. Other than the battery, the big reason for going back to the 1520 was the display. The colors are sooo much better on the LCD screen of the 1520. Reds in particular, which I use for my tiles. Crimson looks bold and sharp on the 1520..on the 1020 it looks like the world's ****tiest ketchup

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Well my advice is to be very careful. Static images are the biggest offenders. For example, if you use twitter quite a bit, you might want to rotate between two different apps or else you'll end up with those little circles at the bottom, or possibly the large words that are used as headers burned in. That goes for any app that you use a lot. Also, make sure to have your phone screen set to turn off after 30 seconds or a minute. If not, you'll end up with your tiles burned in. After that, you're screwed. This isn't image retention, which is short term; this is screen burn in, which won't ever go away.

As long as you're switching between apps and nothing is sitting on there static the burn-in won't happen.

The reason why this isn't true of the AT&T demo units is that the displays are pretty much always on and they don't change between things being shown in the demo often enough.

If they switched to different apps or showed off different things more often this wouldn't be a problem.

Otherwise if it was all about things you use frequently burning in then I'd have a ton of devices with screen burn-in...since I own a lot of equipment with various generations of OLED screen in them.

Just curious...where did you find a matte ZAGG? I can't find them anywhere for the 1520. The only thing I can find is the regular dry unit that has already been out and is fairly glossy...and AT&T doesn't list anything other than that model on their site, and the only models on the actual ZAGG site are also fairly glossy with a slightly 'tacky' feel to them when used.

...before anyone asks if it's possible that it's just my particular Invisible Shield...I've been through several of them since owning the 1520 since they seem to have issues that crop up that I've never had with any other ZAGG product.

Last edited:

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have a Zagg shield on my screen, I even messed up putting it on, and if you look at it in a certain angle , you can see little wrinkles. Zagg sent me another one. You are suppose to went both sides of the shield, I only did one side. Oh well, at first I was worried about the little bubbles I couldn't get out. But after a couple days, the went away. It felt kind of funny for a couple more days, now I can barely tell it is on it now. Some day I will remove it and install the other one the correct way, but not too worried about it, I like it and it is the first shield I have ever liked

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I have a Zagg shield on my screen, I even messed up putting it on, and if you look at it in a certain angle , you can see little wrinkles. Zagg sent me another one. You are suppose to went both sides of the shield, I only did one side. Oh well, at first I was worried about the little bubbles I couldn't get out. But after a couple days, the went away. It felt kind of funny for a couple more days, now I can barely tell it is on it now. Some day I will remove it and install the other one the correct way, but not too worried about it, I like it and it is the first shield I have ever liked

That's for the wet apply models. They make dry apply models that don't require you to wet them to attach them. I've bought both versions for various devices over the years, and never had issues, and I mean somewhere around the neighborhood of about 50-60 different devices I've applied them to.

With the 1520 models both wet and dry each one I have received has had an issue of some kind.

A couple of them have wrinkled, and it can actually be felt...but they weren't wrinkled when applied...or for several days after.

A couple of them have yellowed in certain spots and then started to peel up in those areas.

Another started having random tiny spots where it was pulling away from the surface of the screen...almost like there were small bits of dust...but after removal and inspection it was totally clean, both the screen and the adhesive.

The one I have on right now (that I'm grudgingly not replacing) has a couple lines that are perfectly straight that looks almost like the adhesive wasn't applied properly when they made it. I thought it was a screen issue at first until I very carefully peeled back and checked.

I would have thought it might have been a batch issue because of a couple of them were bought from AT&T (as I like to keep backups around) but even the replacements that ZAGG sent me had similar issues.

Believe me when I say I love ZAGG products and am going to continue using them for most of my stuff...but I really wish I could find something else for the 1520. :(

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Exactly. It's especially bad with Windows Phone, because the apps have the bold typography and static images. For example, the three circles at the bottom of most apps. Good luck not getting those burned in eventually.

I just looked closely at the expanded grey three dots menu on my 1020 and noticed the very subtle imprints of the three dots and also the three icons. Eeeeek!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb