05-06-2014 05:49 AM
30 12
tools
    Hi there 😊 So I went into the ATT store to grab a matte Zagg Shield for my 1520, and was messing with some other devices while waiting to be assisted and snapped a pretty gross pic of their 1020. I haven't actually seen burn in this bad that wasn't an Amoled screen. Picture doesn't really do it justice.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...t=photo%2c.jpg
    12-20-2013 09:23 PM
    1020 is AMOLED.
    12-20-2013 09:33 PM
    1020 is AMOLED.
    Exactly. It's especially bad with Windows Phone, because the apps have the bold typography and static images. For example, the three circles at the bottom of most apps. Good luck not getting those burned in eventually.
    12-20-2013 09:42 PM
    Guess we should be glad the 1520 is LCD.
    12-20-2013 09:45 PM
    Hi there 😊 So I went into the ATT store to grab a matte Zagg Shield for my 1520, and was messing with some other devices while waiting to be assisted and snapped a pretty gross pic of their 1020. I haven't actually seen burn in this bad that wasn't an Amoled screen. Picture doesn't really do it justice.

lol gross might be a tad exaggeration ha but that is bad. But I miss amoled on my 1520. Why do amoled screens burn in like that
    12-20-2013 09:48 PM
    I actually just noticed the other day that my Lumia 900 has some burn in from the home screen. Sure glad I upgraded to the 1520.
    12-20-2013 09:54 PM
    Now knowing the 1020 has an AMOLED screen makes a lot more sense. I do not miss it from my 928. I found the colors to be oversaturated. Especially comparing side by side with the 8x. I'll take the slight decrease in black level.

In other news, this matte Zagg gives my red 1520 an entirely new feel. Actually feels like a matte device now.
    12-20-2013 10:27 PM
    Now knowing the 1020 has an AMOLED screen makes a lot more sense. I do not miss it from my 928. I found the colors to be oversaturated. Especially comparing side by side with the 8x. I'll take the slight decrease in black level.

In other news, this matte Zagg gives my red 1520 an entirely new feel. Actually feels like a matte device now.
    A matte wrap gives a matte feel?

mind-blown-o.jpg
    12-21-2013 12:10 AM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mind-blown-o.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	8.2 KB 
ID:	52465
    Thats just freakin funny dude i got to give you props for this GIF lol....
    Nogitsune Micah likes this.
    12-21-2013 12:35 AM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mind-blown-o.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	8.2 KB 
ID:	52465
    Perhaps I deserved that. What I meant to say was it is of higher quality than expected. Most matte wraps I have tried offer a rather cheap "scratchy" feel.

I'm simply excited to have a nice premium feel on the glossy red.
    12-21-2013 10:35 AM
    Perhaps I deserved that. What I meant to say was it is of higher quality than expected. Most matte wraps I have tried offer a rather cheap "scratchy" feel.

I'm simply excited to have a nice premium feel on the glossy red.
    I'm just giving you the business. I'm just a sarcastic *****.
    12-21-2013 10:38 AM
    Hi there  So I went into the ATT store to grab a matte Zagg Shield for my 1520, and was messing with some other devices while waiting to be assisted and snapped a pretty gross pic of their 1020. I haven't actually seen burn in this bad that wasn't an Amoled screen. Picture doesn't really do it justice.

You should see the 928 screens in the MS store. You mainly just see the home tiles. Thats why AMOLED is garbage
    12-22-2013 09:39 PM

idk my 1020 is Doing good
    12-22-2013 10:12 PM
    idk my 1020 is Doing good

Well my advice is to be very careful. Static images are the biggest offenders. For example, if you use twitter quite a bit, you might want to rotate between two different apps or else you'll end up with those little circles at the bottom, or possibly the large words that are used as headers burned in. That goes for any app that you use a lot. Also, make sure to have your phone screen set to turn off after 30 seconds or a minute. If not, you'll end up with your tiles burned in. After that, you're screwed. This isn't image retention, which is short term; this is screen burn in, which won't ever go away.
    12-22-2013 11:12 PM
    I sold my 1520, went back to a 1020, then went back to a 1520 again. Other than the battery, the big reason for going back to the 1520 was the display. The colors are sooo much better on the LCD screen of the 1520. Reds in particular, which I use for my tiles. Crimson looks bold and sharp on the 1520..on the 1020 it looks like the world's ****tiest ketchup
    12-23-2013 12:33 AM
    Nothing removes burn in. Its not the same as image retention, which is temporary.
    03-31-2014 07:16 PM
    Well my advice is to be very careful. Static images are the biggest offenders. For example, if you use twitter quite a bit, you might want to rotate between two different apps or else you'll end up with those little circles at the bottom, or possibly the large words that are used as headers burned in. That goes for any app that you use a lot. Also, make sure to have your phone screen set to turn off after 30 seconds or a minute. If not, you'll end up with your tiles burned in. After that, you're screwed. This isn't image retention, which is short term; this is screen burn in, which won't ever go away.
    As long as you're switching between apps and nothing is sitting on there static the burn-in won't happen.

The reason why this isn't true of the AT&T demo units is that the displays are pretty much always on and they don't change between things being shown in the demo often enough.

If they switched to different apps or showed off different things more often this wouldn't be a problem.

Otherwise if it was all about things you use frequently burning in then I'd have a ton of devices with screen burn-in...since I own a lot of equipment with various generations of OLED screen in them.

Just curious...where did you find a matte ZAGG? I can't find them anywhere for the 1520. The only thing I can find is the regular dry unit that has already been out and is fairly glossy...and AT&T doesn't list anything other than that model on their site, and the only models on the actual ZAGG site are also fairly glossy with a slightly 'tacky' feel to them when used.

...before anyone asks if it's possible that it's just my particular Invisible Shield...I've been through several of them since owning the 1520 since they seem to have issues that crop up that I've never had with any other ZAGG product.
    Last edited by Morpheus Phreak; 03-31-2014 at 09:09 PM.
    03-31-2014 08:46 PM
    I have a Zagg shield on my screen, I even messed up putting it on, and if you look at it in a certain angle , you can see little wrinkles. Zagg sent me another one. You are suppose to went both sides of the shield, I only did one side. Oh well, at first I was worried about the little bubbles I couldn't get out. But after a couple days, the went away. It felt kind of funny for a couple more days, now I can barely tell it is on it now. Some day I will remove it and install the other one the correct way, but not too worried about it, I like it and it is the first shield I have ever liked
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-31-2014 10:23 PM
    I have a Zagg shield on my screen, I even messed up putting it on, and if you look at it in a certain angle , you can see little wrinkles. Zagg sent me another one. You are suppose to went both sides of the shield, I only did one side. Oh well, at first I was worried about the little bubbles I couldn't get out. But after a couple days, the went away. It felt kind of funny for a couple more days, now I can barely tell it is on it now. Some day I will remove it and install the other one the correct way, but not too worried about it, I like it and it is the first shield I have ever liked
    That's for the wet apply models. They make dry apply models that don't require you to wet them to attach them. I've bought both versions for various devices over the years, and never had issues, and I mean somewhere around the neighborhood of about 50-60 different devices I've applied them to.

With the 1520 models both wet and dry each one I have received has had an issue of some kind.

A couple of them have wrinkled, and it can actually be felt...but they weren't wrinkled when applied...or for several days after.

A couple of them have yellowed in certain spots and then started to peel up in those areas.

Another started having random tiny spots where it was pulling away from the surface of the screen...almost like there were small bits of dust...but after removal and inspection it was totally clean, both the screen and the adhesive.

The one I have on right now (that I'm grudgingly not replacing) has a couple lines that are perfectly straight that looks almost like the adhesive wasn't applied properly when they made it. I thought it was a screen issue at first until I very carefully peeled back and checked.

I would have thought it might have been a batch issue because of a couple of them were bought from AT&T (as I like to keep backups around) but even the replacements that ZAGG sent me had similar issues.

Believe me when I say I love ZAGG products and am going to continue using them for most of my stuff...but I really wish I could find something else for the 1520. :(
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-31-2014 10:38 PM
    Exactly. It's especially bad with Windows Phone, because the apps have the bold typography and static images. For example, the three circles at the bottom of most apps. Good luck not getting those burned in eventually.
    I just looked closely at the expanded grey three dots menu on my 1020 and noticed the very subtle imprints of the three dots and also the three icons. Eeeeek!!
    03-31-2014 10:42 PM
    I just looked closely at the expanded grey three dots menu on my 1020 and noticed the very subtle imprints of the three dots and also the three icons. Eeeeek!!
    I would say those are the biggest threat for burn in, followed by the tile icons if you don't move them around. I had the phone and message tiles at the top of my first Focus and, sure enough, I had a little smiley face and phone burned into the screen after a few months.
    03-31-2014 11:07 PM
    I would say those are the biggest threat for burn in, followed by the tile icons if you don't move them around. I had the phone and message tiles at the top of my first Focus and, sure enough, I had a little smiley face and phone burned into the screen after a few months.
    Hopefully such imprints won't be so obvious as time goes on. If it was one thing to complain about the 1020, it'd be the display....
    03-31-2014 11:41 PM
    use this app it will remove the burn in. You might need to let it run a couple of times
    Wiper | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
    05-04-2014 03:26 AM
    use this app it will remove the burn in. You might need to let it run a couple of times
    Wiper | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
    And I was going to suggest loading this on the youtube app.

05-04-2014 06:14 AM
    Nothing can remove burn-in. This is different than image retention.
    05-04-2014 09:46 AM
30 12