What micro SD cards are you all using?

ragingklu

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I'd go "extreme plus"

There is a lot of confusion surrounding this. It seems SanDisk's site shows a distinct visual and nomenclature difference between the two cards, with two different specs.

In reality, it seems (and someone correct me if they've spent even more time confused over this and have done more research) the "Extreme PLUS" are not marked on the package as "Extreme PLUS" and there is no "PLUS" on the card itself, only "Extreme". The way to tell the difference is just by the part of the packaging where they list the throughput. If it says 80/50, it's a PLUS. If it says 45/45 it's not a PLUS.

That's what I gather anyway. Every retailer I've contacted who carries these cards confirmed this if they had someone available at the time who could. It seems really convoluted and unnecessarily complicated, but I guess that's what is going on.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
There is a lot of confusion surrounding this. It seems SanDisk's site shows a distinct visual and nomenclature difference between the two cards, with two different specs.

In reality, it seems (and someone correct me if they've spent even more time confused over this and have done more research) the "Extreme PLUS" are not marked on the package as "Extreme PLUS" and there is no "PLUS" on the card itself, only "Extreme". The way to tell the difference is just by the part of the packaging where they list the throughput. If it says 80/50, it's a PLUS. If it says 45/45 it's not a PLUS.

That's what I gather anyway. Every retailer I've contacted who carries these cards confirmed this if they had someone available at the time who could. It seems really convoluted and unnecessarily complicated, but I guess that's what is going on.

mine said "extreme plus" on both package and card.

http://www.sandisk.com/products/memory-cards/microsd/extremeplus-uhs-i/

And the recommended card for the 1520 via SanDisk website :

http://pct1.sandisk.com/ProductList.aspx?DeviceID=21012

And a pic of the packaging mine came in (just an example as I got mine from amazon):

https://m.notebooksbilliger.de/sandisk+32gb+extreme+plus+microsdhc+speicherkarte

ragingklu

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
mine said "extreme plus" on both package and card.

SanDisk Extreme PLUS microSDHC and microSDXC UHS-I Memory Cards

And the recommended card for the 1520 via SanDisk website :

SanDisk | Product Compatibility Tool

And a pic of the packaging mine came in (just an example as I got mine from amazon):

https://m.notebooksbilliger.de/sandisk+32gb+extreme+plus+microsdhc+speicherkarte

Yup there are some packages that do say "Extreme PLUS" and some of the cards do too, but the vast majority of commentary and pictures from Amazon, Newegg, etc... show a photo of what would be an "Extreme" card. If you read all the comments and reviews, you'll see a lot of people caught on to the discrepancy but some went through the hassle of dealing with SanDisk to explain, or tested themselves.

I can't explain why this is but it's what retailers (at least in the US) are telling me, and it's confirmed by the comments/reviews of those who bought the card. It's a real cluster****. If someone would like to double up the research to either confirm or deny that I'm a dumbass, that's cool too. I'm just passing along what I've found. I spent a good chunk of time on this, more than I should have for sure. I'm just saying that if you do get one that says PLUS on it, awesome, but if you don't get PLUS on it, it's not necessarily time to panic. I was also trying to curb some confusion in the purchasing process for some people, as they'll undoubtedly be confused like I was when every link they follow from SanDisk's own "Where to Buy" link for the Extreme PLUS lands on a page with the pic of the Extreme and a lot of comments from people who are also confused.

If you go to this page and select only Extreme PLUS, and then click the "Where to Buy" for the 32GB version, then contact those retailers about it (and look at their photos and comments/reviews), I think you'll find the same thing. It doesn't make any sense and I wasted a whole lot of time because of it, but it seems that not having the PLUS on the card or package does not necessarily mean that it's not a PLUS card.

The comment/review threads from the following pages are useful:
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extre...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2289317
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extre...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2289317

Last edited:

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
bummer! It makes SD card useless! :(

Sent from my Nokia 1520 using Tapatalk

no, I have found success syncing my cd folders one by one using media monkey and having the SD card in the computer (not in phone).

Same with pictures, and I am not getting duplicates when taking photos, though I do when saving photos to the phone from websites and texts from time to time, I just delete and resave and it usually will not duplicate again.

Sucks to have to work around it but at least it works

ragingklu

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
@ragingklu I see what your saying about the confusion with retailers and the "plus" version. I got lucky

OK now I'm more confused than ever.... I just now saw this particular copy/paste from SanDisk support in the first Amazon link from post #65:

This is Michael from SanDisk support. Please note that SanDisk is planning to rename the SanDisk Extreme microSD memory cards. In future, these cards will be renamed as the Extreme plus, and Extreme will be downgraded to the 45 MB/s transfer speed. If the current Extreme memory card has the specifications for the Extreme Plus microSD cards, then you will get the transfer rate of 80/50 MB/s. If there is anything we can assist you with please contact SanDisk support at 1-866-SANDISK or submit a support request at www.sandisk.com./ask

I guess this explains it. Bummer that I didn't come across that comment prior to now.

Sorry to everybody if I've added to the confusion. I guess we're just going to have to believe the rated speeds posted on the packaging. I guess I'll test my throughput anyway when I get the card.

Last edited:

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
You clarified it for me actually...no matter what it says, I want the one that says speeds up to 80 mbps...call it extreme plus, extreme to the max, extreme amazeballs...I don't care...

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
So, SanDisk is the go to brand for micro sd cards?

Pretty much, but others don't lag behind much. If the price difference is <20%, go for it, if you're on a budget, the cheapest will do just fine. I usually look for one with most warranty, but they are mostly all around 10 years so again, I go for the cheapest one :)

Pavel_Y

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Are there any other perfectly working SD cards other than SanDisk Extreme (Plus)? Would appreciate link to specific card on manufacturer web site (in order to get correct name)

ThePKReddy

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
My international version isn't recognizing SanDisk Ultra UHS1, 64gb card. It's recognizing my friends 16gb card when I insert it, the device prompts me to format it, but nothing for the 64gb. Is this a known issue with the 1520, or do I just have a faulty card?

Also, my 64gb card wasn't recognized by his 810 device. Not sure if it's the limitation for his 810 device or if it's the card..! grr

ThePKReddy

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
My international version isn't recognizing SanDisk Ultra UHS1, 64gb card. It's recognizing my friends 16gb card when I insert it, the device prompts me to format it, but nothing for the 64gb. Is this a known issue with the 1520, or do I just have a faulty card?

Also, my 64gb card wasn't recognized by his 810 device. Not sure if it's the limitation for his 810 device or if it's the card..! grr

Update: This was a card that I tried to use with my Android tablet and the tablet would lock up. I later found out the tablet doesn't support 64gb cards natively, unless you format it in a certain way. I believe, this messed up my sdcard. However, good news is, I just popped the card into my co-workers Galaxy Note, and the device said the card is "damaged" and prompted to format...and I did. Verified the card was working by creating a folder on the sd card on the Note. Then took the card and loaded into my 1520, and immediately I was prompted to format the card for use...

all good now :) hope this is useful to someone...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6