First Month with "Gigantor"

Phrozty

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Wow.. has it really been a month already? It was a day 1 purchase for me, for both the 1520 and the 2520 (got both for $226; tax and all). I absolutely love my 1520. Best phone I've ever had or seen. I liked my Titan, but I'm doing WAAAY more on my phone now. Partly because of having more options w/wp8, partly because of the screen and power. It is an absolute joy to use, and I think I'm probably stuck w/at least a 6inch phone forever now lol.

That being said, I'm already having to do memory management to deal w/the 16GB. It will be a bit better when I get my 64gb card on xmas, but that's still only going to give me about 2.5gb, which can easily be killed with a few big name games. It's kind of ridiculous that you can have literally hundreds of great apps and games for the space of one major title. I wish we could like.. cut out movie/cutscene options from games. That would be a huge benefit.

The other issue I'm having is with the build materials. My power button is almost completely flush with the chassis, and the screen is already gathering some very shallow scratches. Now when I say "very shallow scratches," I mean that you have to be in the perfect light and at an exact angle to see them. I'm not worried about them except for the fact that I know they're there. I have a skinomi skin that came in about a week ago to apply to the screen.... but the problem is that I'm not sure I can put it down for the 12 hours required for it to dry... and certainly not for 24 hours LOL.

The 2520 is a different story. I bought it basically because I could get it super cheap. I wanted to get into tablets (never had one) and, being a developer in a microsoft ecosystem, I needed to learn windows 8 (no devices running it). So I thought I could kill 2 birds with one stone for fairly cheap.... and I have. I'm learning a lot about win 8, having fun using a tablet, but also sharing in some of the frustrations. Right now, the latest win 8.1 rt build has a handful of major OS errors (MAJOR graphical artifacts in a lot of games, system needs a hard reset if it times out from the screen). I can live with these because the tablet isn't a major part of my life, but I could see how it would seriously tick people off if they bought this device as a replacement for something or a daily driver for something.

I still very much like it, but it's definitely got a ways to go before it's something that I like as much as my 1520.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Glad to hear you are liking it. It really is an epic piece of kit and seen by many as one of the best handsets of 2013.

Its my 8th windows phone and it really is the best, mostly because of the huge specs and partially to do with the lovely big screen. I also got the white one.

Having no problems, other than my confusion over the holes cut out for the speaker and microphone on the official protective flip cover, but its nothing really. No problems thus far (only had it just on one week)

ajansari

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
I got mine in black on Black Friday - really wanted the one in yellow, but the Microsoft Store only carried black and white, and their off contract price was much cheaper than the AT&T store. I had for a couple weeks but I finally exchanged it for a 925.

The good: Build quality. thinness. Feels great to hold. Beautiful display. The extra row (or column) of tiles. It's an elegant device.

The bad: They did a poor job of scaling the fonts, etc. on the display. All the text looked huge, and it seems like a terrible waste of a beautiful screen. On a 6 inch screen, I expected better use of the real estate. An analogy that comes to mind: with most apps, it feels like opening an app designed for an iPhone on an iPad. No stylus support, like the one from a Surface. And I just couldn't get used to the size of the phone. Out of constant fear of dropping the phone, I would always keep it my laptop bag, or leave it in my jacket pocket even when I took it off at work.

Perhaps Windows Phone 8.1 will do a better job of getting the most out of this device. And it's important to remember that it's the first WP phablet and nobody ever gets it right on the first try.

For now, I'll settle for some thing more in a phone size. If a 929 becomes available before my return window for the 925 is up (or before I die), I will give that a try for sure.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Love the phone I have been waiting for a big Windows Phone for years. This really is my dream phone.

Funny story was at my Family Christmas yesterday. I was sitting with my brother he commented that it took 7 years for Windows Phone/ Microsoft to finally makes something cool. He is a die hard iPhone guy. He writes signal light controls software all Windows based so he stairs at a Microsoft screen all day. He hates all things Microsoft just because it reminds him of work. He now wants a Lumia 1520.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
First I was calling my phone BAP (big a$$ phone) and then The Beast. Now I'm calling it Big Red. I can't add much to what's already been said, I'm loving this phone. I keep mine in a black Tudia Melody case but when I want to bring some attention to it I take it out of the case and all of a sudden people really notice it. I just picked up a Dell Venue 8 Pro and a friend asked me why did I get it when I have a phone almost the same size. I'm going to enjoy the next 23 months on my contract.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Have you all tried using any other devices lately. I gave my son my 925 for Christmas I took him to the AT&T store to swap his sim yesterday. I was standing there in the store playing with it while we were waiting... How did I ever use a device that small? I don't think I will ever be able to go to a 4.5 inch screen again. I don't think I would even consider a device with a screen smaller that 5 inches.

JaiMento

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
So I was just at the bank, waiting in line to make a deposit. I pulled out my phone and had it held around my waist, just browsing through the internet. I looked up to see how close I was to the front of the line and I see the guy in front of me with an iPhone 5s browsing Facebook, holding the phone about 6" away from his face. I kind of chuckled inside. At that moment, I was really loving the 6" screen of my L1520.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Have you all tried using any other devices lately. I gave my son my 925 for Christmas I took him to the AT&T store to swap his sim yesterday. I was standing there in the store playing with it while we were waiting... How did I ever use a device that small? I don't think I will ever be able to go to a 4.5 inch screen again. I don't think I would even consider a device with a screen smaller that 5 inches.

My fiancee still has a Lumia 900 (the model I also had prior) because her contract isn't ready for a change yet. Every now and then I have to use it...it feels like one of those miniature novelty items that's not actually real. lol

alllies

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
From where and how much did you get it? Dying to get one on my hands.
I bought my glossy red Lumia 1520 last Monday and it really impressed me in terms of camera, performance and battery life. The language support in our native language (Filipino) is also very adequate, to the point that my friends are surprised at the level that my phone is displaying terms and system texts in Tagalog.

I didn't have any problem with its size, and ironically, I found a phone with this size very comfortable to use. I even get to type messages in one hand sometimes, but maybe that's due to my fingers being used to reaching far places when I play the guitar. My phone last month is the Lumia 625 but I intended to sell that when I can finally buy this one as my birthday present.

The camera captures scenes and objects with a lot of detail. One time, I took a picture of my dry bag and when I zoomed in, I saw the crisscrossing threads that I don't usually see when I carry it! It also captures photos nicely in low light setting.

The screen is very gorgeous to look at but I don't seem to see a very major difference with the Lumia 625's screen, although Live Tiles and other items are less pixelated on the 1520. The battery life is very long and I have to charge it for only at least two days. I didn't thought Microsoft would have done an excellent job in maintaining a great battery life with its 6-in. 1080p screen and quad-core processors. Its battery life even surpassed that of the lower-resolution Lumia 625. With the 1520 being the smartphone with the highest endurance rating in GSMArena, I wonder how the 1320 would fare? ;)

But this phone is not without issues, though. One thing I noticed is that Facebook photos cannot be seen as a whole in browsers like IE and UC Browser, although there's no problem viewing them on Me and People hub. I don't want to install the FB and Twitter app so I can optimize the usage of the hubs and to maximize storage.

Two other problems that I experience are the intermittent reboots and difficulty in using the Internet even though there's mobile data signal.

But I can still live with those problems for two years and hope that Microsoft and/or Nokia can manage to fix them. I'm loving this phone! :)

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
My fiancee still has a Lumia 900 (the model I also had prior) because her contract isn't ready for a change yet. Every now and then I have to use it...it feels like one of those miniature novelty items that's not actually real. lol

Same here. Last week I pull out my 900 to check what apps I might have forgotten and it felt so strange. I can't see myself ever using anything under 5 inches from now on.

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Same here. Last week I pull out my 900 to check what apps I might have forgotten and it felt so strange. I can't see myself ever using anything under 5 inches from now on.

I noticed that 5 inches still works for me, anything below that seems ridiculously tiny now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I have only had the 1520 for 5 days. I was originally going to get the black, I really wanted the red, but wasn't sure about the glossy instead of matte. The AT&T rep accidentally brought out a red one, and I was sold as soon as I saw it in person. So now I have a shiny red 1520. I love the size, the only issue I have had is low light videos(hopefully fixed in an update), and it makes a noise when it autocorrects a word in a text message even if the phone is on vibrate. I don't remember my 520 doing this, and I don't know how to turn it off, but I don't like it. :) Other than that, this phone is amazing.

EDIT: I figured out that if you turn off keyboard sounds, the little noise that is made when correcting a word goes away.

Last edited:

Brian Richman

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
SpeedTest.Net shows results in Mbps -- the lower case "b" is for bits.On my laptop with a USB-to-Gig-E link, I can get 600 Mbps up/down; my Lumia 1520 on Wi-Fi gets 70 Mbps down and 60 Mbps up from campus and about half of that from home. On a straight Gig-E link to my PC and when no one is around, I'd get much closer to the full gig.

(In truth, I'm not sure that I believe the SpeedTest.Net numbers as I didn't think that the USB-to-Gig-E link would be that fast. Also, I've seen screen caps (linked from this reddit discussion) from our students showing greater than 1 Gbps in their dorm rooms, which seems unlikely given that they only have 1 Gbps ports. Still, having your own 1 Gbps port with no throttling is pretty nice!)

We have been installing a 10Gb/sec backbone LAN recently. Forcing all LAN transactions over it makes the machine SMOKE! One day for WiFi.... One Day.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss