If 1520 comes with 5" ?

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I'm shocked, only one person mentioned the 929. That's exactly what it is; 5" version of the 1520. Check the specs that have been released. As I posted on the 23rd, I have already bought a case for the 929; just getting ready.

sajith930

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
It looks like size of 1520 is not much problem as I thought..hmmm..many of them tells it's ok with them...that means I should give a try ?:eek:rly:

sajith930

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm shocked, only one person mentioned the 929. That's exactly what it is; 5" version of the 1520. Check the specs that have been released. As I posted on the 23rd, I have already bought a case for the 929; just getting ready.

yap 929 is worth of trying as leaks, but it doesn't have that gorgeous look which has on 1520...lets see what's coming

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I love the screen size on the 1520, but I also understand it's not for everyone. It's definitely a niche device, and I think a 5" version would have great shelf appeal. Why they haven't made one yet is beyond me.

Similarly, my biggest problem with Nokia to this point is that every phone seems to come with a compromise. 900, too big. 920, 16gb of storage. 1020, huge camera hump. 1520, huge screen. If I want an iPhone, or Android device, with great specs and no compromises, it's available. Is there a normal sized, high end, no compromise Windows Phone device available? No. I'm sure someone will say "oh but my 925 is perfect for me, I don't need more than 16gb of storage." That's not what I'm saying. I'm speaking of a no compromise device. Choosing Windows Phone is already full of sacrifices: aftermarket accessories, app store, phone availability. Why should I have to sacrifice on hardware when it's a problem that can be solved in house?

I wish Nokia could start over with these crazy numbers, maybe have a Lumia 400, 500, and 600 series, with corresponding 4.3" 720p, 5" 1080p, and 6" 1080p screens. All high-end specs. Then a Lumia 100 for the low end. The updates could go up by 10, so next year would be Lumia 410, 510, 610. They have so many phones now.

Ok enough, sorry for all that. Kids have been up since 5:00, I've had the flu since Monday, and now everyone is passed out in the living room waiting for me to make Christmas brunch ;)

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Yep, I am with everyone else: 5"-5.5" would be perfect. I am liking the idea more and more.

But.... AT&T has the 1520, it has everything else I want, it is as future proof as a device can be at this point, and I am not moving to Verizon for the L929, nor am I waiting on WP8.1 for the "perfect" phone, since it will be at least April before it is official.

I am getting it, I will enjoy it, I can fit it in my pocket, and if I need I can get a blue tooth to talk on the phone, since it is uncomfortable for that (the only downside truly since I have been playing with it).

Besides, a phone like that there will be no forgetting it. You KNOW when it is not in your pocket.....

sajith930

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I love the screen size on the 1520, but I also understand it's not for everyone. It's definitely a niche device, and I think a 5" version would have great shelf appeal. Why they haven't made one yet is beyond me.

Similarly, my biggest problem with Nokia to this point is that every phone seems to come with a compromise. 900, too big. 920, 16gb of storage. 1020, huge camera hump. 1520, huge screen. If I want an iPhone, or Android device, with great specs and no compromises, it's available. Is there a normal sized, high end, no compromise Windows Phone device available? No. I'm sure someone will say "oh but my 925 is perfect for me, I don't need more than 16gb of storage." That's not what I'm saying. I'm speaking of a no compromise device. Choosing Windows Phone is already full of sacrifices: aftermarket accessories, app store, phone availability. Why should I have to sacrifice on hardware when it's a problem that can be solved in house?

I wish Nokia could start over with these crazy numbers, maybe have a Lumia 400, 500, and 600 series, with corresponding 4.3" 720p, 5" 1080p, and 6" 1080p screens. All high-end specs. Then a Lumia 100 for the low end. The updates could go up by 10, so next year would be Lumia 410, 510, 610. They have so many phones now.

Ok enough, sorry for all that. Kids have been up since 5:00, I've had the flu since Monday, and now everyone is passed out in the living room waiting for me to make Christmas brunch ;)

ohhh well said jmerrey...!

sajith930

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Yep, I am with everyone else: 5"-5.5" would be perfect. I am liking the idea more and more.

But.... AT&T has the 1520, it has everything else I want, it is as future proof as a device can be at this point, and I am not moving to Verizon for the L929, nor am I waiting on WP8.1 for the "perfect" phone, since it will be at least April before it is official.

I am getting it, I will enjoy it, I can fit it in my pocket, and if I need I can get a blue tooth to talk on the phone, since it is uncomfortable for that (the only downside truly since I have been playing with it).

Besides, a phone like that there will be no forgetting it. You KNOW when it is not in your pocket.....

as u said snowmutt waiting for next perfect WP phone is killing me..we should enjoy what we have now...:D:D

duncan0622

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I think it will be more popular, but I just love 6'inchs Lumia 1520! it rocks me!

Why you guy don't consider Lumia 929 instead of hoping 1520 to be desirable 5 inchs?

sajith930

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I think it will be more popular, but I just love 6'inchs Lumia 1520! it rocks me!

Why you guy don't consider Lumia 929 instead of hoping 1520 to be desirable 5 inchs?

yap,, but 1520 gives gorgeous look, dont want to get eyes away from her once somebody saw it...:smile:...929 doesn't have it...

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
its not just the Lumia range they compromised on , n95 weak battery , n95 8gb better battery but limited 8gb storage , n96 no xenon flash saying led was just as good after everyone was raving about the n82 , everyone was crying out for a 5800 type device with xenon flash , powerful speakers , great camera , good battery life etc etc instead we got the n97 with weak ram self harming camera lens no xenon , they had taken the 5800 put a hinge and qwerty on it and introduced more problems then upgrades lol :-/

for example they could right now put a phone on the market with the best camera 41mp pureview (maybe even better then the 1020 with what they have in their labs), best screen tech 1080p 5" clearblack tech etc , great battery life , great build quality and design , best cpu and good ram with powerful gpu etc but they are spreading it out over different market segments instead of putting everything in one complete package

cmon nokia kill the market once and for all and put it all in one device to make us all dribble ;-)

ps
on the flip side I suppose I am lucky they do make different models as I bet a lot of people would still want the phone to be super thin , yet I would want the camera hump and super camera and xenon flash and maybe a bigger battery at the expense of a super super slim device ;-) different horses for different courses I suppose ;-)

sajith930

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
its not just the Lumia range they compromised on , n95 weak battery , n95 8gb better battery but limited 8gb storage , n96 no xenon flash saying led was just as good after everyone was raving about the n82 , everyone was crying out for a 5800 type device with xenon flash , powerful speakers , great camera , good battery life etc etc instead we got the n97 with weak ram self harming camera lens no xenon , they had taken the 5800 put a hinge and qwerty on it and introduced more problems then upgrades lol :-/

for example they could right now put a phone on the market with the best camera 41mp pureview (maybe even better then the 1020 with what they have in their labs), best screen tech 1080p 5" clearblack tech etc , great battery life , great build quality and design , best cpu and good ram with powerful gpu etc but they are spreading it out over different market segments instead of putting everything in one complete package

cmon nokia kill the market once and for all and put it all in one device to make us all dribble ;-)

ps
on the flip side I suppose I am lucky they do make different models as I bet a lot of people would still want the phone to be super thin , yet I would want the camera hump and super camera and xenon flash and maybe a bigger battery at the expense of a super super slim device ;-) different horses for different courses I suppose ;-)

yap buxz777 u ar damm right....:D :D

Phrozty

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Add me to the "can't imagine going to something smaller than a 6" crew. The 1520 fits completely in my pocket. The size of it isn't even something I think about... except when I see smaller phones and feel like I'm playing with a Tomagochi.

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
With a BB Z10, a BB Z30 and a Lumia 1520, I have a 4, 5 and 6 to compare among. I have been mostly using the 1520 and brought it with me to a few large social gatherings for the Holidays over the last few days. Every time I took the 1520 out of my pocket to take a picture, I got a reaction from someone asking to see it or asking, "what is that" as it inspired genuine confusion for some, as to whether it was a phone, mini-tablet? Mostly, people were vaguely familiar with WP's and that became part of the general interest. I should say that as much as enjoy my tech stuff, I am not someone who enjoys gaining public attention through some fancy new device. I will carry on in detail and at length about the merits of a device or OS because those are some of my interests, but I am not looking for my 1520 to gain me notoriety or attention. But it was a novelty to a surprising extent and the reaction, apart from a few smatterings of snickering, was positive. It is a bright and speedy device.

I generally use a swivel-holster for either my Z10 or Z30, which attaches to my belt and pivots so that it is comfortable and secure no matter how I am moving. The accessories are a little slow in coming for the 1520 so I don't have a swivel holster for it, so I am aware of its size, say if I stopped to tie a shoe or something. But even at the larger size, it isn't, for me, a qualitatively more significant inconvenience than either the 4 or 5 inch devices. I did notice that a number of the people at the gatherings left their phones out on the table or a chair, despite those devices being 4 or 5 inch models, which anecdotally confirmed for me that under current SOTA, any device will have some level of inherent inconvenience to it. A small and acceptable trade-off for me, and the incremental lessening or increasing of this inherent inconvenience, as you move from smaller to larger device, is very marginal, such that I am very strongly tending to the 1520's greater display capabilities.

sajith930

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
With a BB Z10, a BB Z30 and a Lumia 1520, I have a 4, 5 and 6 to compare among. I have been mostly using the 1520 and brought it with me to a few large social gatherings for the Holidays over the last few days. Every time I took the 1520 out of my pocket to take a picture, I got a reaction from someone asking to see it or asking, "what is that" as it inspired genuine confusion for some, as to whether it was a phone, mini-tablet? Mostly, people were vaguely familiar with WP's and that became part of the general interest. I should say that as much as enjoy my tech stuff, I am not someone who enjoys gaining public attention through some fancy new device. I will carry on in detail and at length about the merits of a device or OS because those are some of my interests, but I am not looking for my 1520 to gain me notoriety or attention. But it was a novelty to a surprising extent and the reaction, apart from a few smatterings of snickering, was positive. It is a bright and speedy device.

I generally use a swivel-holster for either my Z10 or Z30, which attaches to my belt and pivots so that it is comfortable and secure no matter how I am moving. The accessories are a little slow in coming for the 1520 so I don't have a swivel holster for it, so I am aware of its size, say if I stopped to tie a shoe or something. But even at the larger size, it isn't, for me, a qualitatively more significant inconvenience than either the 4 or 5 inch devices. I did notice that a number of the people at the gatherings left their phones out on the table or a chair, despite those devices being 4 or 5 inch models, which anecdotally confirmed for me that under current SOTA, any device will have some level of inherent inconvenience to it. A small and acceptable trade-off for me, and the incremental lessening or increasing of this inherent inconvenience, as you move from smaller to larger device, is very marginal, such that I am very strongly tending to the 1520's greater display capabilities.

nice words mate...:D

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
HI

If Nokia 1520 comes with 5" form factor, it will definitely get more attention than 6" size. I mean only display size. Including me I like 5" bcoz 5" give more comfortable usage as daily driver calling msgs, etc...but also definitely 6" is good for multimedia tasks. But I really hope for this killing hardware with 5" size "phone" not the "phablet" in coming months..

What do u think guys ?:smile:

No. Anyone who is using 4.5 inch screen will not feel much difference at 5 inch screen. 5.2-5.5 inch will the sweet spot. With my lumia 920, i find but annoying browsing web. But anything between 5.2-5.5 inch its always convenient to browse, play games and navigation, if 6 inch is too big.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos