Odd WiFi problem

wintrmte

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Hello.. New (within the past week) 1520 user here and was wondering if anyone else has experience a problem attaching to various WiFi networks?

My problem is the kids and I went out to lunch and I tried to attach to the restaurants open WiFi and got the message that it couldn't communicate with the WiFi router. The phone saw the SSID and tried to connect. My kids' phones (iPhone, Android) attached no problem.

So I don't think it was the WiFi AP but something to do with the phone?

Anyone else have this problem?

Other than the quirky WiFi issue, I am really liking the phone. The size doesn't bother me too much, I came from a Galaxy Note 3 so I was already in the phablet category, this is just a smidgen bigger.

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
There is this protocol that some WiFis use and Window Phone does not support yet. It's a major business one too. It's pretty strongly rumored to be coming in the 8.1 update.

wintrmte

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, I'm not sure that's the problem.. A friend of mine who has the 920 is able to connect to this restaurants WiFi with no problems either. I'll try a reboot next time I go there and see if that helps.

Frustrating, but not a deal breaker for me.

eak1570

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
For me I do have some issue that my WI-FI signal drop very fast..when I connect my lumia 1520 to my wi-fi the phone connect my wi-fi very fast (around 25-30mb) and after 30 min or later the signal drop to 4-5mb unless I have to restart the phone again..anybody got this problem?

NeutralX2

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
I have issues with my 1520 showing as connected to wifi but it doesn't actually have a working data connection. My other windows phones work fine on the wireless network though.

vivilxw

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I have issues with my 1520 showing as connected to wifi but it doesn't actually have a working data connection. My other windows phones work fine on the wireless network though.
I have the same issue. it happens to me about 2 times a week. I found out if you disable/re-enable wifi, it will connect without any problems... I'm debating if I should go and exchange it for a new one...

NeutralX2

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue. it happens to me about 2 times a week. I found out if you disable/re-enable wifi, it will connect without any problems... I'm debating if I should go and exchange it for a new one...

My problem is persistent, and turning off wifi and turning it back on does not fix it.

I can restart my phone and it will be fine for a few minutes, but eventually it stops working but still shows as connected.

vivilxw

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
My problem is persistent, and turning off wifi and turning it back on does not fix it.

I can restart my phone and it will be fine for a few minutes, but eventually it stops working but still shows as connected.

hmmm does it happen to a specific wifi network or just random?

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
For me I do have some issue that my WI-FI signal drop very fast..when I connect my lumia 1520 to my wi-fi the phone connect my wi-fi very fast (around 25-30mb) and after 30 min or later the signal drop to 4-5mb unless I have to restart the phone again..anybody got this problem?

Signal drop is normal for any wifi enabled device. There could be many interferences in the environment that can cause these.

bmastenbrook

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I am having these sorts of issues on my 1520 as well. I narrowed it down to the AP at my office, which runs DD-WRT. If I connect to it, it works fine for a little while, then all WiFi will stop working until a reboot (though it will still show connected).

I think it's a software/firmware bug. A hardware defect wouldn't behave like this.

madusmacus

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Out of the box I had issue with my linksys/cisco e4200
I connected and got 70Mb but after 1 hour it droped to exactly 5Mb
BUT.... after a panic Touch screen forced HARD reset this problem went away
I dont know that was coincidence or not just some info here :?)

anon395528

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I hope this can be a general WIFI help thread. I just got my 1520....trying to connect to my secure CISCO wifi.....it has one of those pushbutton things.....but, my phone keeps asking for a password....I login into 192.168.etc and I see the password...I input the password and I cannot connect. What am I doing wrong?

jamrock60

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Restaurant WiFi have limited connection if it has the maximum capacity then you will not be able to connect until someone disconnect

Sent from my 920 using Tapatalk

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site

Exactly the same issue here. I haven't been able to figure out if the issue is the router or my 1520. I never had this issue with my 920 and my girlfriends 920 has no issues. I've messed around with all my router settings, performed dozens of soft resets and no changes.

My last resort is to upgrade my router. I guess I can always return it if it makes no difference.

NP13

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
I've got a Nokia 925.

There are 2 things i've noticed about connecting via wifi.
1. If i connect using a secured network, with a password, then i can connect to the internet with no problem.
2. If i try and connect using an open wifi hotspot, then the wifi shows as connected, but you can't connect to the internet.

This seems to have happened around Xmas 2013 when i installed the latest update.

Surely those at Microsoft know about this problem and are doing something to fix it!

Is there a solution out there i'm not aware of?

Ned

tomworthjr

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
My new Lumia Icon has this same issue. It's any WiFi. Unless I'm right next to a WiFi router, my phone's WiFi icon indicates a strong signal but gets no connectivity.
A new one is on the way (for a bad pixel, totally unrelated), but this WiFi problem seems to be a known issue with the 1520 and the Icon. Dealbreaker for sure, if the new one has the same issue. It's tough enough to bite the bullet and make the switch from iOS without having to worry about the very basic basics not being there, but I still really want this to work!

NP13

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Very very true.

The Lumia Phones are very good and so easy to use.

It's such a shame that like tomworthjr said, they can't get the basics to work!

And Microsoft wonders why Android and Apple are so popular!

If they got the simple things right, WP would be right up there.

Surely they know the wifi is causing huge problems for users?

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Other people are having problems with dd-wrt as well as myself. I changed routers and no problems with WiFi since.

Jim

dd-wrt in and of itself doesn't seem to be the problem. I have dd-wrt running on a linksys G router and it works fine with my 1520. Maybe dd-wrt on an N or ac router?

Very very true.

The Lumia Phones are very good and so easy to use.

It's such a shame that like tomworthjr said, they can't get the basics to work!

And Microsoft wonders why Android and Apple are so popular!

You can't be serious...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5928839?tstart=0

iPhone WiFi Issues Continue with New Models, iOS 7

IPhone 5s wifi problem? - Yahoo Answers

https://www.change.org/petitions/ap...planation-on-the-ongoing-iphone-wifi-problems

https://community.sprint.com/baw/message/657462

Apple’s iOS 6.1.3 Update Can Knock Out Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and Cost You $200 to Fix | TIME.com

NBC 30 Video | iPhone 4S Users Reporting WiFi Issues with iOS 7.0.3 | CTTechJunkie

WiFi issues after upgrade to iOS 7.0.4 (on an iPhone 5s) - Ars Technica OpenForum

How do I get WiFi to work again after installing iOS6? | ITworld

iPhone 4S wifi greyed out - MacRumors Forums

A new Apple iOS Wi-Fi problem has popped up while others remain unfixed | ZDNet

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5330877?tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4336005

And one of my favorites...

Apple 'Censors' News That iOS 7 Upgrade Disables Wifi On Some IPhones - Business Insider

I like how this one link has 4,635 replies. How many replies does this thread have of people complaining about the 1520's wifi?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4322714

How much is Apple paying you to post ipropaganda?

NP13

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
I don't actually own an iPhone - never have done!

Like I said, I own a Nokia 925. Great phone. Rubbish WiFi!

I`m not the only one having problems since the amber update.

Regards...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs