Like most people, I like to listen to music at the gym. I currently have a Titan II. Its feels fine when I am doing weights but when I run it kind of swings around in my pocket. Essentially the phone is about as big as I can imagine having on me while I need to be mobile.

I almost got a 1520 the other day, but I saw a pic of one up to someone's head (assuming they were on a call?) and it looked way too big to walk around with in my gym clothes. Maybe I would need to keep my Titan just to use as an MP3 player and use the 1520 for everything else? I actually did that with my Palm Pre when I first got my Titan before I got used to the size.

Does anyone actually use the 1520 at the gym or while running? Is it a gigantic pain in the ****? Do you worry about it falling out of your pocket or something? Do people ask you why you brought your laptop to the gym?
    01-02-2014 04:53 PM
    Arm band on ebay and amazon 12.00 fixed any issues I had.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    01-02-2014 05:18 PM
    In my small gym, a 24/hour Snap Fitness with limited square footage, I am able to use a Bluetooth headset and just leave my phone in one of the coat/bag cubbies. Obviously this approach wouldn't work for larger spaces.

The phone is too big to jog outdoors with in your pocket -- it flops around too much. But at the gym, it's easily placed on the console of the treadmill or in the water bottle holder.
    Last edited by MikeF74; 01-03-2014 at 11:31 AM.
    01-03-2014 11:15 AM
    Even my 920 felt too big and heavy to wear when I walked or jogged. It is still my best use case for my old Zune HD. Those things are so tiny and lightweight that they are perfect for working out.
    01-03-2014 11:59 AM
    When I go jogging I use my 520 and leave my 1520 in the car....the 520 is in permanent 'airplane' mode, but I can sync my running time as soon as I hit wifi....and between my xbox music pass and downloaded nokia mixradio tunes i'm set.
    Winfonejunkie likes this.
    01-03-2014 12:44 PM
    I hate having to switch between phones like that. Its not the end of the world and if I liked everything else about the phone I could do it, but I would prefer not to. I usually watch Netflix on my phone if I am on a treadmill, so it would be great for that. Ill probably end up waiting for a smaller phone with the same specs. Thanks
    01-03-2014 01:14 PM
    I've always had good luck with the Nanos, two of them have been on daily gym duty over the past ~7 years and haven't failed me once (I lost the first one somehow). A device this size I wouldn't take to the gym without something like an OB Defender type case and in that case it would just be too bulky.

Given your situation, I'd say you're better off using the Titan as an MP3 player unless you can work out some remote BT connection scenario as mentioned earlier. I don't know if you mainly lift or mainly do cardio, etc... but I know with dumbbells (especially when transporting dumbbells from one spot to another while navigating benches/machines/weights/racks) I would worry too much about smashing it by accident, whether it's on the outside of my upper arm or in my shorts pocket.
    01-03-2014 02:08 PM
    Even my 920 felt too big and heavy to wear when I walked or jogged. It is still my best use case for my old Zune HD. Those things are so tiny and lightweight that they are perfect for working out.
    I find the 920 just feels bulky compared the the 1520. It's the shape, thickness and density. The 1520 has much better balance and feel.
    01-03-2014 02:45 PM
    I've always had good luck with the Nanos, two of them have been on daily gym duty over the past ~7 years and haven't failed me once (I lost the first one somehow). A device this size I wouldn't take to the gym without something like an OB Defender type case and in that case it would just be too bulky.

Given your situation, I'd say you're better off using the Titan as an MP3 player unless you can work out some remote BT connection scenario as mentioned earlier. I don't know if you mainly lift or mainly do cardio, etc... but I know with dumbbells (especially when transporting dumbbells from one spot to another while navigating benches/machines/weights/racks) I would worry too much about smashing it by accident, whether it's on the outside of my upper arm or in my shorts pocket.
    Oh yeah, case is a must. If im sitting on a bench with dumbbells and have my phone in my pocket, sometimes the dumbbells are sitting right on my phone. My Titan is near pristine thanks to the case.

I wouldn't want to get rid of my Titan II when I get a new phone and probably wouldn't find many people who actually want to buy it, so maybe it would be good to have as an MP3 player. I like to have phone access when I run outside, so I would still rather have something I can make calls with, but its perfectly fine in the gym.
    01-03-2014 03:11 PM
    I use two apps when lifting, Wendler 5/3/1 and Barbell helper. The WP8 multitasking makes using the two apps together rather easy.
    01-03-2014 04:37 PM
    Oh yeah, case is a must. If im sitting on a bench with dumbbells and have my phone in my pocket, sometimes the dumbbells are sitting right on my phone. My Titan is near pristine thanks to the case.

I wouldn't want to get rid of my Titan II when I get a new phone and probably wouldn't find many people who actually want to buy it, so maybe it would be good to have as an MP3 player. I like to have phone access when I run outside, so I would still rather have something I can make calls with, but its perfectly fine in the gym.
    The thought of setting a dumbbell on the 1520, with or without a case, makes me cringe. I know the nanos I've used have gotten pretty beat up with scratches and nicks and such, with and without small soft cases, but they're built to handle it (I actually tried to find an older one when I lost mine and saw they'd gone to a design with a full frontal screen because I thought it'd be less likely to survive). A lot of that is probably due to me becoming comfortable with situations where the device can get damaged, so I'd imagine if I was more careful I'd be able to have a phone in its place, but I don't know.... I run into a lot of stuff.

Sounds like using the Titan in the gym and the 1520 while running would be the best compromise. Or I'm sure you could get a pretty durable MP3 player for relatively little. Either way, I'm not sure I'd take the Lumia to the gym to wear on my person, even with a heavy duty case, but that's just me.
    01-03-2014 05:45 PM
    Just got back from the gym with my 1520. I use the Nokia Purity Wireless Headphones. I can set the phone down and control it directly on the headset.
    01-05-2014 03:10 AM
    Why don't you guys just hold your phone instead of putting it inside pockets while running/jogging? I've been doing this forever and never dropped my iPod/phone... only before or after lol
    01-05-2014 10:52 AM