1520 Hairline Crack Out of Nowhere

TechFranz

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I pulled my Nokia 1520 phone out my pocket and discovered a hairline crack on the screen as well as some color bleeding.
I took good care if the phone, had a Zagg cover on it & the Belkin Folio.
I only lightly bumped it once or twice.
AT&T says go to Assurion or Nokia.
Nokia wanted to send me to the Palco Repair Center for phones with physical damage.
Assurion wants a $199 deductible.

I feel like this was a product defect since it is not readily apparent what caused the screen to suddenly crack in the corner.
Perhaps heat or a bad screen?

Any ideas?:cry:

TechFranz

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I wondered about carrying my 1520 in my pocket. However it was in the Belkin Folio & had a 2 sided Zagg Invisi-Shield.

Any ideas how to convince Nokia that this a defect in the screen?

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I wondered about carrying my 1520 in my pocket. However it was in the Belkin Folio & had a 2 sided Zagg Invisi-Shield.

Any ideas how to convince Nokia that this a defect in the screen?

its going to be difficult, my only suggestion will be to try to sell it and see how much you can get and just put the difference and buy another 1520. Unless you can convince them to exchange the phone with your receipt of purchase.

TechFranz

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Interesting to hear that there are a few others with the same or similar issues. I wish I was still in my 14 day return period, because I believe the AT&T store would accept it. The local AT&T Service center described it to me over the phone as a pressure crack. I tried putting the phone in my pocket a looking for pressure points. Perhaps my keys were against it? Seems unlikely since I carry them in my other pocket. Also what good are the Zagg and the Belkin folio?

Oh well Assurion is replacing it after scanning a 5 page legal document into their website.

TechFranz

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
No more pockets for me then!
The guys in the AT&T store on Lincoln Highway in Lancaster were very helpful and swapped out my Zagg cover at no charge. (I would have reused it but it had collected some lint upon de-phoning.)
I don't know if it is my imagination, but the replacement phone Asurion sent me (by the way it is brand new!) seems to have a lot brighter crisper screen.
I did order two different belt pouches and a pudding case to see if they work better than the pocket deal.
This the WPCENTRAL Belt Pouch:
Mobi Products Clip Pouch - Windows Phone Pocket Pouches - The WP Central Store
Here is the Pudding Case:
Amazon.com: Amzer Pudding Soft Gel TPU Skin Fit Case Cover for Nokia Lumia 1520 - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories
Here is the Belt Pouch which has been described as being "Really, Really Huge!"
Amazon.com: Nokia Lumia 1520 Vertical Leather Case with Magnetic closure with belt clip and belt loops + Stars Stripes Silicone Wristband: Cell Phones & Accessories

Wish Otterbox would have created something by now...

RvpLui1

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
It has to be a defect I have the same issue... Im using the international black version on tmobile same thing Hairline crack on the top of the screen! Nokia sent me to Palco.

TechFranz

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I agree. With the large screen-size the phone is probably more prone to manufacturer defects in the screen.
I also wonder if heat has something to do with it.
I never had a phone have a cracked screen before.
My replacement phone from AT&T/Asurion seems to be holding up so far.
I am using a belt pouch now instead of carrying it around in my pocket.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Any tension in the piece of glass can cause the screen to break of its own accord, but tension breaks are usually easily diagnosed by sight. Nokia support ought to be able to spot a tension break and refund you accordingly. It should not cost you to repair a tension break if the phone's in warranty. If Nokia experts have confirmed that it is not a tension break, the only other possibility I can think of is that you physically damaged it yourself and just did not realise at the time.

norcal1079

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Mine has done the same thing. The phone is no longer usable. Local repair shops will only replace the LCD and the digitizer as a single unit, and they quote close to $400.00 to do the repair. Palco's website quotes $219.00, and would probably be replacing only the digitizer for that price. The sad thing is the phone was never dropped or sat on. If the screen can't hold up to daily wear, there is a serious problem. I called Nokia and they said "it would have to be escalated". It took over two weeks to get a call back. Then they said submit a form on their website and they would respond via email. Now it has been another 3 weeks with no reply from them. I was such an evangelist for Nokia's build quality, but I am about to lose that viewpoint. It feels like being taken advantage of. :unhappy:

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Mine has done the same thing. The phone is no longer usable. Local repair shops will only replace the LCD and the digitizer as a single unit, and they quote close to $400.00 to do the repair. Palco's website quotes $219.00, and would probably be replacing only the digitizer for that price. The sad thing is the phone was never dropped or sat on. If the screen can't hold up to daily wear, there is a serious problem. I called Nokia and they said "it would have to be escalated". It took over two weeks to get a call back. Then they said submit a form on their website and they would respond via email. Now it has been another 3 weeks with no reply from them. I was such an evangelist for Nokia's build quality, but I am about to lose that viewpoint. It feels like being taken advantage of. :unhappy:

email a higher up directly and tell them about how long its taken and the inconvenience of it all. ;)

Btw I carry mine in my pocket all the time and have had no issue

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I guess it is the younger generation? I would never think of putting anything but a flip phone in my pants pocket. They can call it Superman Glass for all I care, glass is glass. And therefore fragile.. I keep this bad boy in my shirt pocket.... Sometimes in my jacket pocket. I have a flip cover case protecting it. Black PU Leather Case Cover for Nokia Lumia 1520 | eBay
I am 34 and have always carried every phone I've owned in my pants pocket, belt holsters are the fanny pack for cell phones so I don't do those and I don't wear shirts with pockets. :) My dad does and his 1520 looks ridiculous in his shirt pocket.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I am 34 and have always carried every phone I've owned in my pants pocket, belt holsters are the fanny pack for cell phones so I don't do those and I don't wear shirts with pockets. :) My dad does and his 1520 looks ridiculous in his shirt pocket.

Yep, I have a daughter a year younger... Like your dad, I also carry my 1520 in my shirt pocket. Carried one since I first owned a cell phone an eon ago. All my shirts have pockets, and are big enough to hold the 1520. And in all these years, never broke a screen. It may look silly, but it saves my screens....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077