04-02-2014 11:36 AM
38 12
tools
    I pulled my Nokia 1520 phone out my pocket and discovered a hairline crack on the screen as well as some color bleeding.
    I took good care if the phone, had a Zagg cover on it & the Belkin Folio.
    I only lightly bumped it once or twice.
    AT&T says go to Assurion or Nokia.
    Nokia wanted to send me to the Palco Repair Center for phones with physical damage.
    Assurion wants a $199 deductible.

I feel like this was a product defect since it is not readily apparent what caused the screen to suddenly crack in the corner.
    Perhaps heat or a bad screen?

Any ideas?
    01-02-2014 08:39 PM
    That's weird, do you have a screen protector? A phone will not crack magically unless an external force hit it.
    01-02-2014 08:52 PM
    Don't carry the phone in your pocket.
    etad putta and 11B1P like this.
    01-02-2014 08:53 PM
    I wondered about carrying my 1520 in my pocket. However it was in the Belkin Folio & had a 2 sided Zagg Invisi-Shield.

Any ideas how to convince Nokia that this a defect in the screen?
    alex_roddie likes this.
    01-02-2014 09:20 PM
    I wondered about carrying my 1520 in my pocket. However it was in the Belkin Folio & had a 2 sided Zagg Invisi-Shield.

Any ideas how to convince Nokia that this a defect in the screen?
    its going to be difficult, my only suggestion will be to try to sell it and see how much you can get and just put the difference and buy another 1520. Unless you can convince them to exchange the phone with your receipt of purchase.
    01-02-2014 10:30 PM
    I had a hairline crack at the bottom of the screen above the capactive buttons. Ended up replacing it.
    01-03-2014 09:21 AM
    01-03-2014 10:06 AM
    Interesting to hear that there are a few others with the same or similar issues. I wish I was still in my 14 day return period, because I believe the AT&T store would accept it. The local AT&T Service center described it to me over the phone as a pressure crack. I tried putting the phone in my pocket a looking for pressure points. Perhaps my keys were against it? Seems unlikely since I carry them in my other pocket. Also what good are the Zagg and the Belkin folio?

Oh well Assurion is replacing it after scanning a 5 page legal document into their website.
    01-03-2014 05:46 PM
    All of the newer smartphones are becoming thinner and more fragile. If you stick a CD or DVD in your pocket and sit down, look at how much the CD/DVD bends. My HTC 7 Trophy came with a warning sticker not to carry the phone in your pocket. I made a post about it a while back: http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...t-warning.html
    01-04-2014 11:55 AM
    No more pockets for me then!
    The guys in the AT&T store on Lincoln Highway in Lancaster were very helpful and swapped out my Zagg cover at no charge. (I would have reused it but it had collected some lint upon de-phoning.)
    I don't know if it is my imagination, but the replacement phone Asurion sent me (by the way it is brand new!) seems to have a lot brighter crisper screen.
    I did order two different belt pouches and a pudding case to see if they work better than the pocket deal.
    This the WPCENTRAL Belt Pouch:
    Mobi Products Clip Pouch - Windows Phone Pocket Pouches - The WP Central Store
    Here is the Pudding Case:
    Amazon.com: Amzer Pudding Soft Gel TPU Skin Fit Case Cover for Nokia Lumia 1520 - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories
    Here is the Belt Pouch which has been described as being "Really, Really Huge!"
    Amazon.com: Nokia Lumia 1520 Vertical Leather Case with Magnetic closure with belt clip and belt loops + Stars Stripes Silicone Wristband: Cell Phones & Accessories

Wish Otterbox would have created something by now...
    01-04-2014 01:16 PM
    01-04-2014 05:31 PM
    It has to be a defect I have the same issue... Im using the international black version on tmobile same thing Hairline crack on the top of the screen! Nokia sent me to Palco.
    01-28-2014 12:59 AM
    I agree. With the large screen-size the phone is probably more prone to manufacturer defects in the screen.
    I also wonder if heat has something to do with it.
    I never had a phone have a cracked screen before.
    My replacement phone from AT&T/Asurion seems to be holding up so far.
    I am using a belt pouch now instead of carrying it around in my pocket.
    01-28-2014 06:30 AM
    Any tension in the piece of glass can cause the screen to break of its own accord, but tension breaks are usually easily diagnosed by sight. Nokia support ought to be able to spot a tension break and refund you accordingly. It should not cost you to repair a tension break if the phone's in warranty. If Nokia experts have confirmed that it is not a tension break, the only other possibility I can think of is that you physically damaged it yourself and just did not realise at the time.
    01-28-2014 07:35 AM
    Mine has done the same thing. The phone is no longer usable. Local repair shops will only replace the LCD and the digitizer as a single unit, and they quote close to $400.00 to do the repair. Palco's website quotes $219.00, and would probably be replacing only the digitizer for that price. The sad thing is the phone was never dropped or sat on. If the screen can't hold up to daily wear, there is a serious problem. I called Nokia and they said "it would have to be escalated". It took over two weeks to get a call back. Then they said submit a form on their website and they would respond via email. Now it has been another 3 weeks with no reply from them. I was such an evangelist for Nokia's build quality, but I am about to lose that viewpoint. It feels like being taken advantage of.
    02-13-2014 01:38 PM
    Mine has done the same thing. The phone is no longer usable. Local repair shops will only replace the LCD and the digitizer as a single unit, and they quote close to $400.00 to do the repair. Palco's website quotes $219.00, and would probably be replacing only the digitizer for that price. The sad thing is the phone was never dropped or sat on. If the screen can't hold up to daily wear, there is a serious problem. I called Nokia and they said "it would have to be escalated". It took over two weeks to get a call back. Then they said submit a form on their website and they would respond via email. Now it has been another 3 weeks with no reply from them. I was such an evangelist for Nokia's build quality, but I am about to lose that viewpoint. It feels like being taken advantage of.
    email a higher up directly and tell them about how long its taken and the inconvenience of it all. ;)

Btw I carry mine in my pocket all the time and have had no issue
    02-14-2014 01:30 AM
    I guess it is the younger generation? I would never think of putting anything but a flip phone in my pants pocket. They can call it Superman Glass for all I care, glass is glass. And therefore fragile.. I keep this bad boy in my shirt pocket.... Sometimes in my jacket pocket. I have a flip cover case protecting it. Black PU Leather Case Cover for Nokia Lumia 1520 | eBay
    02-14-2014 05:14 AM
    I guess it is the younger generation? I would never think of putting anything but a flip phone in my pants pocket. They can call it Superman Glass for all I care, glass is glass. And therefore fragile.. I keep this bad boy in my shirt pocket.... Sometimes in my jacket pocket. I have a flip cover case protecting it. Black PU Leather Case Cover for Nokia Lumia 1520 | eBay
    I am 34 and have always carried every phone I've owned in my pants pocket, belt holsters are the fanny pack for cell phones so I don't do those and I don't wear shirts with pockets. :) My dad does and his 1520 looks ridiculous in his shirt pocket.
    02-14-2014 01:48 PM
    I am 34 and have always carried every phone I've owned in my pants pocket, belt holsters are the fanny pack for cell phones so I don't do those and I don't wear shirts with pockets. :) My dad does and his 1520 looks ridiculous in his shirt pocket.
    Yep, I have a daughter a year younger... Like your dad, I also carry my 1520 in my shirt pocket. Carried one since I first owned a cell phone an eon ago. All my shirts have pockets, and are big enough to hold the 1520. And in all these years, never broke a screen. It may look silly, but it saves my screens....
    02-14-2014 04:13 PM
    $199 deductible!?! I think I have only ever played $100 with asurion!? But I'm on verizon
    02-15-2014 07:41 PM
    Also what good are the Zagg and the Belkin folio?
    Mostly to protect against surface scratching. The Zagg is not going to stop the screen from getting cracked. You're talking about a thin piece of film.
    02-15-2014 07:54 PM
    $199 deductible!?! I think I have only ever played $100 with asurion!? But I'm on verizon
    I believe it will vary depending on the phone.
    02-15-2014 07:55 PM
    I believe it will vary depending on the phone.
    mine was $100 for a 928 and an s3. Both are about the same retail price or more than the 1520. I would be calling bs
    02-15-2014 08:09 PM
    mine was $100 for a 928 and an s3. Both are about the same retail price or more than the 1520. I would be calling bs
    Contract calls for $199 deductible on smartphones. Been that way since I started with AT&T in Nov, 2012... One reason I don't use it. $10 a month + $200 for a refurbished phone exchange? If it was a NEW phone, I would think about it, but not a refurb...
    02-16-2014 06:18 AM
    Mine on Verizon with assurion I am almost positive is $5 a month and $100 last I checked. Is there an alternative online to carrier insurance
    02-16-2014 05:39 PM
38 12