• 00Days
  • 00Hours
  • 00Mins
  • 00Secs
Check out the best deals!
01-13-2014 06:38 AM
61 123
tools
    I've tried twice to activate the phone on AIO and Straight Talk, both immediately said the phone cannot be activated unless it is unlocked.

-Another frustrated 1520 owner about to return the device...
    someone reported earlier that they got it working on straight talk with ease, just had to ask for the att variant of their sim cards

i'll try to dig it up and post back

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...-go-phone.html

I know it works with h20 as I have personally tried it
    Last edited by superlawyer15; 01-07-2014 at 12:00 PM.
    01-07-2014 10:28 AM
    someone reported earlier that they got it working on straight talk with ease, just had to ask for the att variant of their sim cards

I see that h20 is also in los angeles (my location), so I will see if that works by purchasing a prepaid sim. Otherwise, anything you can dig up would be extremely helpful. Many thanks!
    01-07-2014 11:22 AM
    first of all, it is a lawyers job to twist and turn

second, it is not misleading, maybe it confused you, but it is not misleading in the legal sense of the word

I understand you are upset that you can't get the device working on the carrier of your choice
    (I would be too as it is an amazing device and I'm very happy to have it)

no contract clearly means that you have no further commitment to pay for ATT services
    it does not mean that the device is unlocked.
    To be honest, if anyone is twisting and turning here it is you. You want to twist no contract into meaning unlocked when it just doesn't
    there is a BIG distinction between not incurring a commitment to purchase future services and receiving a device with a specific ability, in this case the ability to function on multiple carriers. That's why there are two different terms to describe the two very different issues. i.e. no-contract and unlocked

Second, your contention that the phone remaining locked amounts to bondage is both false and irrelevant
    it's false because you can take the phone to any ATT MVNO and it will work
    it's irrelevant because even if true it, in no way conflicts with the "no contract" language, at the end of the day you are in no way committed to purchasing ATT services

lastly, your claim that they failed to disclose a material fact which amounts to misrepresentation also fails (but I admit that I'm very impressed you made this argument)
    it fails because even assuming it's a relevant issue, which there is room to argue that it isn't, they did disclose
    by your own admission you said that it was advertised as "Nokia Lumia 1520 for ATT" , the key part being "FOR ATT"
    So not only did they not mislead you as to the devices compatibility with other carriers, but they flat out told you that its for ATT

now, I personally believe that selling locked phones is an ugly practice and I wish that a new law would come along and get rid of it all together
    but that doesn't change the here and now, and as it stands ATT did nothing "legally" wrong
    Morally wrong? well, that's up to each person's own individual opinion

While I applaud your efforts in trying to pull up statutes to support your argument there was no material misrepresentation based on your description of the terms presented to you at the time of purchase

**disclaimer** although backed up by a traditional legal education, this is my personal opinion not a definitive legal conclusion
    AT&T's use of the phrase "No Contract" differs very little from T-Mobile's use of the same phrase. The difference is that Washington State's Attorney General took T-Mobile to task, and had then change it. A few well written letters to a state attorney general should get similar results.
    01-07-2014 01:09 PM
    What tmobile is doing is completely different ...and way worse
    they have "no contract" on their service but there is a very real contract on the purchase of the device
    ..which is why they attracted the attention of that state's attorney general
    and are likely to attract attention in other states
    01-07-2014 01:30 PM
    first of all, it is a lawyers job to twist and turn
    second, it is not misleading, maybe it confused you, but it is not misleading in the legal sense of the word
    **disclaimer** although backed up by a traditional legal education, this is my personal opinion not a definitive legal conclusion
    Laughable. Very so. This is Dancing With The Wind.

The duty of good faith and fair dealing is the statutory obligation in the Uniform Commercial Code (the UCC), first promulgated in 1951 and enacted in all jurisdictions for commercial transactions.

The UCC states that [e]very contract or duty . . .imposes a duty of good faith in its performance or enforcement. The UCC defines good faith as honesty in fact in the conduct or transaction concerned.

ATT was incorporated pursuant to implied Covenant of Good Faith and Fair Dealing. Then must act consistently with a duty of good faith and fair dealing.

This is America and NOT a banana Republic where anarchy obtains. The spirit of the law must be followed to the letter. AT&T must pride itself as a vanguard of such spirit and not in the league of fly-by-night mobs - entrenched in bullying behavior.

Seriously, I rest on this premise.
    01-07-2014 02:53 PM
    What tmobile is doing is completely different ...and way worse
    they have "no contract" on their service but there is a very real contract on the purchase of the device
    ..which is why they attracted the attention of that state's attorney general
    and are likely to attract attention in other states
    Confirmed AT&T mole in our midst.

You have acted a strict interpreter of the law and process, now alluding to hanky-panky by t-mobile.

I like what I see coming in the next few days. Let the gates (ATT T-Mobile) open and we the users choose. That will spell the end of AT&T ... who will take $450 in return for a hefty fine of over $100, monthly. That's the reason we want UNLOCK in the first place. AT&T will bleed to oblivion, if every user put on their thinking caps.
    01-07-2014 03:05 PM
    Ike... if you don't want to believe me then sue ATT for violating the aforementioned statutory provisions and see how the court adjudicates your claim.

Getting angry on an internet forum does nothing to remedy your situation.
    Mr Lebowski likes this.
    01-07-2014 03:33 PM

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...-go-phone.html

I had given up on Straight Talk because of the nano sim, was not aware until today that you can cut down a regular, or micro sim to nano size. I have a sim on order as well as a tool that cuts a micro into a nano.. Should know in a couple of days if this approach works.

Tool ... Amazon.com: Techno Earth Nano Sim Cutter for Iphone 5 Ipad Mini Simcard Cutter Cut Any GSM Sim Into Nano or Any Micro Sim Into Nano Sim + Car Charger for USB Devices: Cell Phones & Accessories
    01-10-2014 07:00 PM
    the tool isn't all that necessary ...you could just cut it with scissors
    ..its not that hard, for a nano sim you pretty much have to cut everything but the gold contacts

..make sure to mark with side has that slant tho

also straight talk has different sim cards since they operate on all networks
    you have to get the ATT specific sim, not the Tmobile sim
    01-10-2014 07:48 PM
    AAT&T send me the unlock code after the BBB complaint.
    Took one week to reach right channel. After that they solved very fast
    01-13-2014 06:28 AM
    Closed
    01-13-2014 06:38 AM
61 123