GSMArena readers prove they rock hard by selecting Lumia 1520 as "Grand Champion"!!

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
And my faith in WP's future continues to rise, as readers of the tech site GSMArena voted in a 32 device single elimination "Mortal Combat" style tournament. Not only did the L1520 win, but it faced off against the L1020 in the finals and the L520 in the semi-finals. On top of that, the L720 got a victory- where it was beaten by... the L1520!!

The Note 3 was knocked out in the first round by th L1020, the HTC ONE was beaten by the L520, and generally speaking the readers of GSMArena must be all readers of WPC, Nokia Power User, All About Windows Phone, and whatever the Sony fan site is, because Xperia devices did well too.

Not as well as the L1520, which rocked the world and took all kinds of names.

Ahhhh... if only sales follow, what a glorious moment that will be to tick off all the anti-WP trolls........

FLAWLESS VICTORY!!

:grin:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The 1520 is pretty new. It's also the only Windows Phone phablet currently available. As a result, it might get really good sales numbers.

HyperMatrix

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Windows Phone 8.1 will be the final phase that should balance the platforms as long as it includes:

- Internet Explorer 11 Mobile
- Notification Center/More Reliable Notifications
- Cortana!

Microsoft also needs to change the app menu. One big giant list is quite unappealing. I doubt we'll see a change here as they have the same messy policy on RT and Desktop. Marketplace needs to be cleaned up. Look at how beautiful and easy to browse and navigate the App Store and Google Play are. They also need to start weeding out all the crap apps that don't do anything. This is Microsoft's own fault as it encouraged fake/bad apps to up the app count. But what good are these bad apps when they make it hard to find the actual good ones? At least create a section for only big name developers and Microsoft vetted apps. This is a definite requirement.

There are a ton of little things that I'm sure/hoping Windows Phone 8.1 brings in. Like video in internet explorer not having a seek bar, and only having jump forward/back buttons that lets you seek 30 seconds ahead. We are also the only platform without a cloud browser app like Puffin or iSwifter, so access to some web content is limited as a result. All in all, we're not too far behind. The update in April (hopefully) will bring us 90% of the way there. The other 10%...I don't mind waiting for. They're minor.

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I am hoping that the upgrade to 8.1 include the ability to upload docs files from internet explorer like google chrome does in Android. It will make the platform at the same level of Android with the exception of apps. 2014 will be an interesting year for Windows Phone.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I guess one of the most important things that they can do (and i think they are doing in some parts) is, separating some apps from the OS such like people, music, store...ets. so that they can update them faster, give each app a dedicated team or something. then WP will fly.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
And my faith in WP's future continues to rise, as readers of the tech site GSMArena voted in a 32 device single elimination "Mortal Combat" style tournament. Not only did the L1520 win, but it faced off against the L1020 in the finals and the L520 in the semi-finals. On top of that, the L720 got a victory- where it was beaten by... the L1520!!

The Note 3 was knocked out in the first round by th L1020, the HTC ONE was beaten by the L520, and generally speaking the readers of GSMArena must be all readers of WPC, Nokia Power User, All About Windows Phone, and whatever the Sony fan site is, because Xperia devices did well too.

Ahhhh... if only sales follow, what a glorious moment that will be to tick off all the anti-WP trolls........

FLAWLESS VICTORY!!

It was indeed a flawless victory but still, a lot have not been convinced of the Nokia Lumia 1520's victory. But at least, we Lumians have something to brag about this year, although GSMArena's Smartphone League is more of an entertaiment than a factual tournament. Their 1520 vs Note 3 review is a bit biased on the Note 3.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

HyperMatrix

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
It was indeed a flawless victory but still, a lot have not been convinced of the Nokia Lumia 1520's victory. But at least, we Lumians have something to brag about this year, although GSMArena's Smartphone League is more of an entertaiment than a factual tournament. Their 1520 vs Note 3 review is a bit biased on the Note 3.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Biased? Absolutely not. How could they be biased when they proclaim the Note 3 to be the winner for Sunlight Visibility. It's clearly obvious that they are indeed correct and completely unbiased as per the image below. We can see that the Note 3 is indeed much easier to look at under sunlight.

Nokia-Lumia-1520-Assertive-Display-620x315[1].jpg

darwichee

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Windows Phone 8.1 will be the final phase that should balance the platforms as long as it includes:

- Cortana!

Microsoft also needs to change the app menu. One big giant list is quite unappealing. I doubt we'll see a change here as they have the same messy policy on RT and Desktop. Marketplace needs to be cleaned up. Look at how beautiful and easy to browse and navigate the App Store and Google Play are. They also need to start weeding out all the crap apps that don't do anything. This is Microsoft's own fault as it encouraged fake/bad apps to up the app count. But what good are these bad apps when they make it hard to find the actual good ones? At least create a section for only big name developers and Microsoft vetted apps. This is a definite requirement.

There are a ton of little things that I'm sure/hoping Windows Phone 8.1 brings in. Like video in internet explorer not having a seek bar, and only having jump forward/back buttons that lets you seek 30 seconds ahead. We are also the only platform without a cloud browser app like Puffin or iSwifter, so access to some web content is limited as a result. All in all, we're not too far behind. The update in April (hopefully) will bring us 90% of the way there. The other 10%...I don't mind waiting for. They're minor.

Wow, You?re the first honest windows user i?ve come across and 100% right on the App count part. I can almost only find crap apps in windows phone market, beside the "top list" functions. Ofc Microsoft using this to fool themself that App store is growing.

I have nothing against Windows phone, but Microsoft is taking to LONG for making big change.

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Wow, You?re the first honest windows user i?ve come across and 100% right on the App count part. I can almost only find crap apps in windows phone market, beside the "top list" functions. Ofc Microsoft using this to fool themself that App store is growing.

I have nothing against Windows phone, but Microsoft is taking to LONG for making big change.

As long we don't find official app from google and other relevant companies, you will see a lot of third crap apps been made that does not work properly.

HyperMatrix

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
As long we don't find official app from google and other relevant companies, you will see a lot of third crap apps been made that does not work properly.

Look at Facebook. There are 50 different facebook apps, even though there is an official Facebook app. Even if the official app exists, people submit apps using that companies product logo, and a similar name like "Facebook 2014" to try to get people to think it's the real facebook app and download it. This also means that if you search for some apps, the "official" app itself isn't always the first one to come up. It's just entirely messy.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
How did this end up a "Windows Phone shortcomings" thread? I am all in on threads that are written for that reason, and am well aware that there are many areas MS needs to improve our OS.

Geez, can't we just have a little fun with some good WP news?? Hmmmm??? Please???

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site

FLAWLESS VICTORY!!

We did it WPC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mexican-soccer-coach-2.jpg
good-times-o.jpg

EpidemikE1

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

- Cortana!

Having a digital assistant named Cortana and sounding like her...that would cool. Hopefully the voice recognition gets better.

Has MS released any details about backwards device support with new versions of WP? I ask because they dropped the ball IMO, with WP7 users i.e. me and my Lumia 900.

About the talks about the app store (directed to the user that said WP has like no apps), there are tons of quality apps. Some apps work/look better than their iOS and Android counterparts on WP. Now Macalan and Hypermatrix, Hypermatrix brings up some valid concerns about the app store. MS needs to devise a better system where the cream rises to the top and the better/best apps are highlighted. They need stronger policies in place that block junk/duplicate apps.

Lastly they need more buy in with companies to release official apps for WP. My suggestion, hire Rudy Hyun, and start a group of developers to develop official apps. To companies like that are not creating a WP app, MS can tell them we can make an official app for you and release it under your approval as well as support it. I know kind of stretch but I cant think of anything that MS hasnt already tried.

Last edited:

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Stranger: What kind of phone are you using there?

Me: It's GSM arena's grand champion, the Nokia Lumia 1520, a windows phone....and it's awesome! :smile:

Alphageek_UK

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I missed the final round of voting but, even as a 1520 owner, I'd have voted for the 1020. A lot more people have asked me 'is that the one with the mad camera' when they see me with my 1520. I think the 1020 is getting noticed in the general public. Onwards and upwards for WP.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte