01-07-2014 09:42 AM
26 12
tools
    And my faith in WP's future continues to rise, as readers of the tech site GSMArena voted in a 32 device single elimination "Mortal Combat" style tournament. Not only did the L1520 win, but it faced off against the L1020 in the finals and the L520 in the semi-finals. On top of that, the L720 got a victory- where it was beaten by... the L1520!!

The Note 3 was knocked out in the first round by th L1020, the HTC ONE was beaten by the L520, and generally speaking the readers of GSMArena must be all readers of WPC, Nokia Power User, All About Windows Phone, and whatever the Sony fan site is, because Xperia devices did well too.

Not as well as the L1520, which rocked the world and took all kinds of names.

Ahhhh... if only sales follow, what a glorious moment that will be to tick off all the anti-WP trolls........

FLAWLESS VICTORY!!

01-05-2014 03:04 AM
    The 1520 is pretty new. It's also the only Windows Phone phablet currently available. As a result, it might get really good sales numbers.
    01-05-2014 03:08 AM
    Windows Phone 8.1 will be the final phase that should balance the platforms as long as it includes:

- Internet Explorer 11 Mobile
    - Notification Center/More Reliable Notifications
    - Cortana!

Microsoft also needs to change the app menu. One big giant list is quite unappealing. I doubt we'll see a change here as they have the same messy policy on RT and Desktop. Marketplace needs to be cleaned up. Look at how beautiful and easy to browse and navigate the App Store and Google Play are. They also need to start weeding out all the crap apps that don't do anything. This is Microsoft's own fault as it encouraged fake/bad apps to up the app count. But what good are these bad apps when they make it hard to find the actual good ones? At least create a section for only big name developers and Microsoft vetted apps. This is a definite requirement.

There are a ton of little things that I'm sure/hoping Windows Phone 8.1 brings in. Like video in internet explorer not having a seek bar, and only having jump forward/back buttons that lets you seek 30 seconds ahead. We are also the only platform without a cloud browser app like Puffin or iSwifter, so access to some web content is limited as a result. All in all, we're not too far behind. The update in April (hopefully) will bring us 90% of the way there. The other 10%...I don't mind waiting for. They're minor.
    5150 Joker and Pieter Wolff like this.
    01-05-2014 04:36 AM
    I am hoping that the upgrade to 8.1 include the ability to upload docs files from internet explorer like google chrome does in Android. It will make the platform at the same level of Android with the exception of apps. 2014 will be an interesting year for Windows Phone.
    01-05-2014 05:38 AM
    The first feature that must add is the ability to install apps on SD card

Sent from my RM-825_eu_greece_250 using Tapatalk
    01-05-2014 05:39 AM
    I guess one of the most important things that they can do (and i think they are doing in some parts) is, separating some apps from the OS such like people, music, store...ets. so that they can update them faster, give each app a dedicated team or something. then WP will fly.
    01-05-2014 05:44 AM
    And my faith in WP's future continues to rise, as readers of the tech site GSMArena voted in a 32 device single elimination "Mortal Combat" style tournament. Not only did the L1520 win, but it faced off against the L1020 in the finals and the L520 in the semi-finals. On top of that, the L720 got a victory- where it was beaten by... the L1520!!

The Note 3 was knocked out in the first round by th L1020, the HTC ONE was beaten by the L520, and generally speaking the readers of GSMArena must be all readers of WPC, Nokia Power User, All About Windows Phone, and whatever the Sony fan site is, because Xperia devices did well too.

Ahhhh... if only sales follow, what a glorious moment that will be to tick off all the anti-WP trolls........

FLAWLESS VICTORY!!

It was indeed a flawless victory but still, a lot have not been convinced of the Nokia Lumia 1520's victory. But at least, we Lumians have something to brag about this year, although GSMArena's Smartphone League is more of an entertaiment than a factual tournament. Their 1520 vs Note 3 review is a bit biased on the Note 3.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    01-05-2014 06:49 AM
    It was indeed a flawless victory but still, a lot have not been convinced of the Nokia Lumia 1520's victory. But at least, we Lumians have something to brag about this year, although GSMArena's Smartphone League is more of an entertaiment than a factual tournament. Their 1520 vs Note 3 review is a bit biased on the Note 3.

Biased? Absolutely not. How could they be biased when they proclaim the Note 3 to be the winner for Sunlight Visibility. It's clearly obvious that they are indeed correct and completely unbiased as per the image below. We can see that the Note 3 is indeed much easier to look at under sunlight.

nokia-lumia-1520-assertive-display-620x315-1-.jpg
    01-05-2014 06:58 AM
    ^Love the sarcasm!

Old_Cus and snowmutt like this.
    01-05-2014 06:59 AM
    Top 3 smartphones champions are nokias! and the nexus 5 which was on a tie between lumia 520...
    gsmarena_013.jpg
    gsmarena_003.jpg
    iPhone didnt even make it to the quarterfinals lol
    Lumia's ruined any mobile they found in their way and miraculously even the cheap 520 managed to beat other phones who were more powerful!
    Smartphone Champions League completes - meet the champion - GSMArena Blog
    01-05-2014 07:44 AM
    Something went wrong,i made that post on a topic i made myself,how it got there? ;o
    01-05-2014 11:43 AM
    this guy :P . do I do wonder how the hardcore fanboys are taking it o.o?
    snowmutt likes this.
    01-05-2014 12:12 PM
    Windows Phone 8.1 will be the final phase that should balance the platforms as long as it includes:

- Cortana!

Microsoft also needs to change the app menu. One big giant list is quite unappealing. I doubt we'll see a change here as they have the same messy policy on RT and Desktop. Marketplace needs to be cleaned up. Look at how beautiful and easy to browse and navigate the App Store and Google Play are. They also need to start weeding out all the crap apps that don't do anything. This is Microsoft's own fault as it encouraged fake/bad apps to up the app count. But what good are these bad apps when they make it hard to find the actual good ones? At least create a section for only big name developers and Microsoft vetted apps. This is a definite requirement.

There are a ton of little things that I'm sure/hoping Windows Phone 8.1 brings in. Like video in internet explorer not having a seek bar, and only having jump forward/back buttons that lets you seek 30 seconds ahead. We are also the only platform without a cloud browser app like Puffin or iSwifter, so access to some web content is limited as a result. All in all, we're not too far behind. The update in April (hopefully) will bring us 90% of the way there. The other 10%...I don't mind waiting for. They're minor.
    Wow, Youre the first honest windows user ive come across and 100% right on the App count part. I can almost only find crap apps in windows phone market, beside the "top list" functions. Ofc Microsoft using this to fool themself that App store is growing.

I have nothing against Windows phone, but Microsoft is taking to LONG for making big change.
    01-05-2014 02:08 PM
    Wow, Youre the first honest windows user ive come across and 100% right on the App count part. I can almost only find crap apps in windows phone market, beside the "top list" functions. Ofc Microsoft using this to fool themself that App store is growing.

I have nothing against Windows phone, but Microsoft is taking to LONG for making big change.
    As long we don't find official app from google and other relevant companies, you will see a lot of third crap apps been made that does not work properly.
    01-05-2014 02:30 PM
    As long we don't find official app from google and other relevant companies, you will see a lot of third crap apps been made that does not work properly.
    Look at Facebook. There are 50 different facebook apps, even though there is an official Facebook app. Even if the official app exists, people submit apps using that companies product logo, and a similar name like "Facebook 2014" to try to get people to think it's the real facebook app and download it. This also means that if you search for some apps, the "official" app itself isn't always the first one to come up. It's just entirely messy.
    Wide opeN likes this.
    01-05-2014 07:25 PM
    How did this end up a "Windows Phone shortcomings" thread? I am all in on threads that are written for that reason, and am well aware that there are many areas MS needs to improve our OS.

Geez, can't we just have a little fun with some good WP news?? Hmmmm??? Please???
    01-06-2014 01:24 AM

FLAWLESS VICTORY!!

We did it WPC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    mexican-soccer-coach-2.jpg
    good-times-o.jpg
    Laura Knotek and snowmutt like this.
    01-06-2014 06:20 AM

- Cortana!

Having a digital assistant named Cortana and sounding like her...that would cool. Hopefully the voice recognition gets better.

Has MS released any details about backwards device support with new versions of WP? I ask because they dropped the ball IMO, with WP7 users i.e. me and my Lumia 900.

About the talks about the app store (directed to the user that said WP has like no apps), there are tons of quality apps. Some apps work/look better than their iOS and Android counterparts on WP. Now Macalan and Hypermatrix, Hypermatrix brings up some valid concerns about the app store. MS needs to devise a better system where the cream rises to the top and the better/best apps are highlighted. They need stronger policies in place that block junk/duplicate apps.

Lastly they need more buy in with companies to release official apps for WP. My suggestion, hire Rudy Hyun, and start a group of developers to develop official apps. To companies like that are not creating a WP app, MS can tell them we can make an official app for you and release it under your approval as well as support it. I know kind of stretch but I cant think of anything that MS hasnt already tried.
    Last edited by EpidemikE1; 01-06-2014 at 08:46 AM.
    Pieter Wolff likes this.
    01-06-2014 08:35 AM
    Stranger: What kind of phone are you using there?

Me: It's GSM arena's grand champion, the Nokia Lumia 1520, a windows phone....and it's awesome!
    01-06-2014 08:47 AM
    I missed the final round of voting but, even as a 1520 owner, I'd have voted for the 1020. A lot more people have asked me 'is that the one with the mad camera' when they see me with my 1520. I think the 1020 is getting noticed in the general public. Onwards and upwards for WP.
    snowmutt likes this.
    01-06-2014 09:24 AM
    What this really proves is WPC threads about this 'beauty contest" can get a lot of Nokia Lumia fans to vote.

Kidding about "beauty" part but underdogs VOTE and threads about this got Nokia Lumia fans to the polls so to speak.
    snowmutt likes this.
    01-06-2014 01:29 PM
    Has MS released any details about backwards device support with new versions of WP? I ask because they dropped the ball IMO, with WP7 users i.e. me and my Lumia 900.
    Microsoft hardly "dropped the ball" with WP7 devices. It was known well ahead of time that all WP7 devices, including the 900, would be incompatible with the new Windows NT derived kernel that would underpin Windows Phone 8. It wasn't a drastic and sudden announcement to anyone.

Anyway, off my soapbox, Microsoft has said before that there would be an update path moving forward for WP8 devices.
    snowmutt likes this.
    01-06-2014 03:26 PM
    Microsoft hardly "dropped the ball" with WP7 devices. It was known well ahead of time that all WP7 devices, including the 900, would be incompatible with the new Windows NT derived kernel that would underpin Windows Phone 8. It wasn't a drastic and sudden announcement to anyone.

Anyway, off my soapbox, Microsoft has said before that there would be an update path moving forward for WP8 devices.
    Well MS and the carriers did nothing to notify users of the incompatibility. Even the fact that older devices cant run the newer OS was a terrible move. iOS is backwards compatible with most if not all devices (not sure if this has changed) and Android to a certain extent is but due to higher graphic requirements from later versions. This early on to not be supporting WP7 devices for WP8 and later OS updates is dropping the ball when MS is trying to build up a user.
    01-06-2014 10:54 PM
    Stranger: What kind of phone are you using there?

Me: It's GSM arena's grand champion, the Nokia Lumia 1520, a windows phone....and it's awesome!

Just letting you know: If you start addressing yourself as "Grand Champion Cus", I will have to laugh at you.
    Old_Cus likes this.
    01-07-2014 01:50 AM
    Well MS and the carriers did nothing to notify users of the incompatibility. Even the fact that older devices cant run the newer OS was a terrible move. iOS is backwards compatible with most if not all devices (not sure if this has changed) and Android to a certain extent is but due to higher graphic requirements from later versions. This early on to not be supporting WP7 devices for WP8 and later OS updates is dropping the ball when MS is trying to build up a user.
    Microsoft was hardly keeping this information a secret. The 900 was in General Availability in April '12. Searching this forum showed my threads from February 2012 discussing no migration form WP7 to WP8. That said, we are 15 months into WP8, why are we still discussing this?
    01-07-2014 09:24 AM
26 12